FentayeJones

Falcons Meeting with Pernell McPhee Today

102 posts in this topic

He would be a good signing as he wouldn't count against the compensatory formula because he was released by the Bears.

Just FYI for any other UFA

MAY 8th – The “May 8th Tender” date. This date, which was moved forward from June 1st a couple of years ago, is essentially the last date that the signing or losing of a free agent will count toward the Compensatory Draft pick calculation. The May 8th Tender – which rarely happens – is a way a team can potentially obtain exclusive negotiating rights with a player later in the summer. It also provides extended Comp pick eligibility if the player is tendered a contract of at least 110% of his prior year’s compensation by May 8th. Otherwise, if the player is not given the May 8th Tender, he no longer counts toward the Comp pick formula and the team cannot gain any special negotiating advantage later in the off season. As a practical matter, very few free agents who remain unsigned by May 8th are worth such a tender.

30 minutes ago, falconsfan4life3 said:

Garland potentially at DT too. 

Then add Vita Vae and we are set :slick:

1 hour ago, B_84falcons said:

They did yesterday. So the fact that he is taking time to meet with us is good

i agree ... Normally this time of Freeagency.. When you are offered something... You take it

PokerSteve likes this

Free agent OLB Pernell McPhee is visiting the Falcons on Wednesday.

McPhee has an offer in hand from the Redskins, according to Yahoo Sports' Jordan Schultz, but it must not be enough to keep McPhee from making other visits. In Atlanta, McPhee could replace Adrian Clayborn, who left as a free agent and signed with the Patriots. McPhee turns 30 later this year.
Ergo Proxy likes this

The dude clearly isn't that crazy about being a Redskin. lol. We may have what he's looking for ~ a chance to play on a rapidly-improving Top 10 D on a team with legit SB ambitions.

He's still just 29 so if he's gotten past his injury issues he could really be a great fit for us in the longer term as well. Bring'em home, TD.

g-dawg, ya_boi_j and Ergo Proxy like this

1 hour ago, B_84falcons said:

As soon as we show someone interest, everyone complains about that too. We as a fan base need to make up our minds lol 

Thank you sir

B_84falcons likes this

Pernell McPhee feels 'disappointment in myself' after Bears release linebacker

Pernell McPhee was known for making grandiose comments at times but one of the things that made him valuable to the Bears was that his teammates stopped to listen when he spoke.

It was the outside linebacker who addressed the team the night before facing the Raiders in Week 4 of the 2015 season before what turned out to be the first victory of the John Fox era. After the victory, longtime members of the team talked about how the newcomer McPhee — he was the big prize in general manager Ryan Pace’s first offseason — made an impact with his words and then his play. He had an interception and a key third-down tackle as time was winding down.

Four games after that victory, McPhee suffered a knee injury, one that led to microfracture surgery that offseason, and durability was an issue from then on, ultimately leading to the team’s announcement Monday that he and veteran safety Quintin Demps had been released.

“I was sort of surprised but just because of the disappointment in myself for the organization,” McPhee said. “You know, not able to accomplish what I wanted to accomplish while I was there. So it hit me that way. I was disappointed that I wasn’t able to stay healthy and staying there and changing the organization around. It’s still the same as it probably was before I came and that’s the only disappointment I really have, not finishing out my part.”

Roster reshaping is an ongoing process for Pace and the Bears, who now have more than $60 million in projected salary cap space as the team handles business before what projects to be a busy free-agent period beginning March 14. The Bears figure to have another move or two in the near future that could push them well above $70 million in space because quarterback Mike Glennon is unlikely to remain with the team.

The Bears signed McPhee to a five-year, $38.75 million contract and he wound up making $23.175 million. He was set to earn $7.575 million this season and his release cleared $7.075 million in space. In three years, he played in 36 games and totaled 14 sacks and three forced fumbles.

McPhee, 29, underwent arthroscopic knee surgery the day after the Bears reported to training camp last summer and that led to him getting only four snaps in the opener against the Falcons. He produced four sacks in the next six games but was placed on injured reserve with a shoulder injury for the final two games. His departure only underscores the team’s need to restock the position around former first-round pick Leonard Floyd.

“My knees never really hurt me this year,” McPhee said. “I was really surprised. After (the first half of the season), the game plans kind of changed. I never made a big deal about it. That was a battle I knew I wasn’t going to win. That’s just me being true to myself so I understand why I wasn’t as dominant as I should have been.

“What happened to me is a bad thing but it also feels like a blessing because I have a brand new, fresh opportunity. I had been there three years, and just looking at myself in the mirror, I probably would have done the same thing Chicago did. I probably would have made the same decision Pace did but I can’t act like it isn’t tough because it is. Once you put in so much work, you have friends and you fall in love with the place and it was a nice place.”

THE-Falconlifer likes this

1 hour ago, Five_Fifs said:

If Takk is replacing Clayborn on the totem pole, we need someone to take over Takk’s rotational contributions. 

Not to mention Shelby and Upshaw took snaps at DE last year too..... though not as dire as DT, we need quality rotational bodies at DE too

Watch out now,  you are applying logic in a place that can’t comprehend it. 

He has had 4+ sacks in 5 out of 7 NFL seasons while only being a starter in 1 NFL season. Dude is exactly what we need in a rotational base LDE to give us quality snaps that were lost by Clayborn and Shelby. He’s exactly like them, y’all just don’t know his name. He’s 6’3 275 and will probably cost half of what Clayborn would’ve cost us with better play, IMO.

2 hours ago, Flying Falcon said:

We need a good NB and FS.

Those aren’t needs bro. Kazee is gonna compete with Poole for the starting NB job and Allen’s replacement still could already be on the roster in kazee. In other words I doubt we’re looking for Allen’s replacement AGAIN this season but I think we still might draft a CB in the 2nd or 3rd Round. 

5 minutes ago, athell said:

If healthy, very much so.  That said, Clay had issues staying healthy as well so...

Nice. I didn't know much about him. What about moats? Is he better than Shelby? 

Posted (edited)

1 minute ago, ShadyRef said:

Nice. I didn't know much about him. What about moats? Is he better than Shelby? 

Not the same position (Moats LB, Shelby DE)  and Shelby was injured so hard to judge.

Probably balance out in the end tbh

Edited by athell

2 hours ago, falconsfan4life3 said:

Garland potentially at DT too. 

He is a DT, we just happened to turn him into a guard.