G-Dawg Mock Draft 2.0

g-dawg

OK, now that the dust is settling from Unrestricted Free Agency, I think it is safe for me to whip out a mock draft.   I fully expect the Falcons to sign at least 1 Defensive Tackle in the next few weeks - probably not a household name - in free agency.    Maybe re-sign Ahtyba Rubin whom I believe is still out there - plus we get Jack Crawford back.

Image result for ahtyba rubin falcons

Brandon Fusco signing a 3yr $12.5mm deal probably puts the kibosh on taking an OG/C early as well - so Isaiah Wynn, James Daniels, Will Hernandez, and Billy Price are likely not in play.

Falcons will continue to stick w/ their theme of fast players that play fast and furious that grade high on the "CT" (competitive toughness) scale.   Here is how I see it right now - honestly, any mock draft that nails two out of the 7 picks is doing well - so take it FWIW......feel free to criticize, praise, etc.  - all discussion is good as long as done in good faith.

#1-026) Taven Bryan, DT/DE - Florida 6'4", 291lbs -  This guy just has a great "get-off" on the LOS and wins early.  Plays w/ leverage and has a wicked stiff-arm.   He is raw and not a long-term starter but Dan Quinn will say he has traits and he will know how to "feature him".   I see Taven Bryan as kind of a young version of Michael Bennett who can set the edge as a SDE on early run downs and kick inside and rush the passer on nickel/dime downs.    Further, you know DQ will eat up with a spoon that Taven Bryan's dad was a Navy Seal and you know that kid probably was fed nuts/bolts for breakfast - chewed it up and spit out nails.   I realize this is not an original pick but the fit is so perfect.   Bryan has more passrush than Vea or Payne and DQ will think to himself - why should I trade-up for guys that are not as versatile as Bryan who I might can get at #26?

#2-059) D.J. Moore, WR-Maryland (6'0", 210lbs) - While not overly tall, this is a big/thick receiver that is fast (4.42/40) and explosive (39.5" vert / 11ft broad / 6.95-3-cone).    Moore caught a lot of short passes and bubble screens and turned them into big plays.  He may need to work on his route tree and refinement but this guy is a playmaker at WR and would definitely juice-up the Falcons passing game.  He has been compared by NFL.com to Stephon Diggs and that guy is a dayum good WR.   I wanted to go defense again w/ this pick but Falcons needed another playmaker and this side of the ball cannot be ignored.  Moore has the wiggle and the extra gear.

#3-90) Shaqueem Griffin, LB - Central Florida (6'1", 227lbs) - yes the "one-armed guy".   I know this can feel to some like a hype pick and I have my reservations myself about the physical limitation.  However, you have to consider this - this guy doesn't play like he is limited and - if anything, it seems to drive him to simply outwork everyone.   Furthermore, this isn't just a "try hard" guy - dude is explosive as evidenced by the show he put on at the NFL combnine and running a 4.38 / 40.   Now, let's review DQ's mantra - "Competitive Toughness" - does Griffin have it?  in spades.  What else?  Speed - DQ loves speed and playmaking - does Shaq Griffin have this?  YES,  he was his conference's defensive player of the year and he tore AU a new A-Hole.   YES, I would rather take Griffin in the 4th round - as would probably 1/2 the other NFL teams - he won't make it to the late 4th round.   I realize this will be a controversial pick but this guy can cover as well - will he rack up a ton of interceptions? NO but Trufant has trouble there as well - just a small part of the overall picture.   I am not guaranteeing he will be a star at the next level - but he will be a very good player and probably a locker-room guy as well - truly an inspiration and a guy that doesn't make excuses.  This ain't charity - this guy is a player.

4-126) Dmitri Flowers, FB-Oklahoma (6'2", 245lbs) -  Normally it is considered heresy to take a Fullback this high - some folks believe you should not even take a FB at all.   The Falcons made a huge mistake letting Patrick DiMarco walk and it hurt our offense.   Flowers is a very similiar player to DiMarco but obviously younger.    Flowers is also a weapon in the passing game and very good pass catcher and special teams player.    While FBs don't play every down and he will be a part-time player - he will have a role in the offense, he won't be a bust, we will get production and he will offer a lot on special teams as well.   This will be a good pick.

#6-200) Skyler Phillips, OG/C-Idaho State (6'3", 324lbs) - credit to @Kayoh here as he turned me onto Phillips and I challenged him on the guy because Kayoh had just put a twitter loop play on there and the competition wasn't the best - but Phillips did well in all-star games and he is very strong.  The challenge and the criticism I have seen with him is sustaining blocks - he will be a developmental player but he has the power and if he can adapt to ZBS and if NFL coaches can help him, he could be a find.

Image result for skyler phillips

#7-244) D'Montre Wade, CB-Murray State (6'0", 200lbs) - not overly fast but has twitch and traits that can be developed.   Likely a candidate for practice squad and to be developed over a few years.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/dmontre-wade?id=2560174

Related image

#7-256) Roc Thomas, RB-Jacksonville State (5'11", 193lbs) - solid 3rd down type of back that has elusiveness and playmaking ability - can catch the ball.  More quick than fast.  Could compete w/ Terron Ward for #3 back but most likely would be a practice squad player.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/roc-thomas?id=2560216

Image result for roc thomas jacksonville state

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if DJ Moore is available at our 2nd round pick, every GM in the NFL deserves to be fired, including ours, because that means they passed on him in the 1st. DJ Moore is the best receiver in this class and should absolutely not fall past Baltimore at 16.

1 minute ago, Kayoh said:

if DJ Moore is available at our 2nd round pick, every GM in the NFL deserves to be fired, including ours, because that means they passed on him in the 1st. DJ Moore is the best receiver in this class and should absolutely not fall past Baltimore at 16.

Ravens just signed Michael Crabtree.    I agree DJ Moore is a beast but he has some holes in his game that should get him to the 2nd round.  Since he is in the 5'11" category and not the finished product like a Odell Beckham - more of a Stephon Diggs type.

Fair enough criticism that he won't make it to the end of the 2nd round though.  I will accept it - but #16 overall?  no, don't see that at all.

Just now, g-dawg said:

Ravens just signed Michael Crabtree.    I agree DJ Moore is a beast but he has some holes in his game that should get him to the 2nd round.  Since he is in the 5'11" category and not the finished product like a Odell Beckham - more of a Stephon Diggs type.

Fair enough criticism that he won't make it to the end of the 2nd round though.  I will accept it - but #16 overall?  no, don't see that at all.

He isn't 5'11 either, he measured at exactly 6'0 at the combine. 6'0 210. He ran 4.42. He absolutely dominated at Maryland with legitimately some of the worst QB play I've ever seen in my life scouting college players. It was like, borderline Reggie Ball bad. I don't see the holes you're talking about, and the Stefon Diggs type WR in this draft is Christian Kirk, DJ Moore is way above that level as a receiver. DJ Moore's floor in the NFL is Roddy White. I think he's going to have an OBJ type impact on the team he goes to and a lot of people who are smarter than me see the same thing in him. He's the best WR prospect we've seen since the 2014 class. Better than Amari. Better than Corey Davis.

3 minutes ago, Kayoh said:

He isn't 5'11 either, he measured at exactly 6'0 at the combine. 6'0 210. He ran 4.42. He absolutely dominated at Maryland with legitimately some of the worst QB play I've ever seen in my life scouting college players. It was like, borderline Reggie Ball bad. I don't see the holes you're talking about, and the Stefon Diggs type WR in this draft is Christian Kirk, DJ Moore is way above that level as a receiver. DJ Moore's floor in the NFL is Roddy White. I think he's going to have an OBJ type impact on the team he goes to and a lot of people who are smarter than me see the same thing in him. He's the best WR prospect we've seen since the 2014 class. Better than Amari. Better than Corey Davis.

anything else in the mock you want to argue about?  you've made your point here about the WR.   I personally don't think DJ Moore is going on Day#1 but certainly a possibility.

Anything else?

Just now, g-dawg said:

anything else in the mock you want to argue about?  you've made your point here about the WR.   I personally don't think DJ Moore is going on Day#1 but certainly a possibility.

Anything else?

I'd love for us to get a potential starting DT instead of a FB in the 4th. PJ Hall pls.

A lot of studs with high ceilings in this mock. I like it. Though I’d still be worried sick about our interior DL. I know a lot of posters have thrown around signing Rubin  as a potential stop gap to alleviate Poe’s departure but I think having him in any other role than a depth piece that may be inactive some weeks is risky.

Though if we could get Moore in the late second I’d be ecstatic.

11 minutes ago, Kayoh said:

Since you are DJ Moore’s biggest fan, would you like it if Falcons took him at #26?

Just now, g-dawg said:

Since you are DJ Moore’s biggest fan, would you like it if Falcons took him at #26?

I'd be absolutely ecstatic about it. Like I said, there's no way he should fall below the 16th overall pick, so him falling to 26 is a freaking miracle, and our FO actually picking him would shock me almost as much.

10 minutes ago, Kayoh said:

I'd be absolutely ecstatic about it. Like I said, there's no way he should fall below the 16th overall pick, so him falling to 26 is a freaking miracle, and our FO actually picking him would shock me almost as much.

I just don’t believe he is going near as high as you do, but kudos to you DJ goes that early.

Just now, g-dawg said:

I just don’t believe he is going near as high as you do, but kudos to you DJ goes that early.

like I implied with my hyperbole earlier, every team that passes on him is going to regret it similarly to how every team that passed on OBJ in 2014 regretted it.

Just now, g-dawg said:

Sun Tzu,

don’t worry my friend- you know DQ being a former DL coach will fill out the DT rotation when it is all said and done.

I'm sure he will.

I'm just saying I don't think most people around here understand the true situation at the DT spot.

Even if they draft a DT in the first round they still need to bring 2 DTs for depth.

Again I don't count practice squad guys because that's Mike Smith territory..

Get rid of the FB and I love it. 

Other FA DT names to keep an eye on: 

Hankins*
Sly Williams
Bennie Logan
Jay Bromley
Karl Klug
McCullers
Datone Jones
Jordan Hill

Hankins would be ideal because he's the best of the group AND wouldnt count against us for comp pick purposes. 

My guess is that we'll look to add one or two of these dudes after the qualifying FA period ends in early May. 

10 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

I'm sure he will.

I'm just saying I don't think most people around here understand the true situation at the DT spot.

Even if they draft a DT in the first round they still need to bring 2 DTs for depth.

Again I don't count practice squad guys because that's Mike Smith territory..

You haven’t forgotten about Jack Crawford have you?  I suspect he will be ready to go coming off injury.

9 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Get rid of the FB and I love it. 

Other FA DT names to keep an eye on: 

Hankins*
Sly Williams
Bennie Logan
Jay Bromley
Karl Klug
McCullers
Datone Jones
Jordan Hill

Hankins would be ideal because he's the best of the group AND wouldnt count against us for comp pick purposes. 

My guess is that we'll look to add one or two of these dudes after the qualifying FA period ends in early May. 

What do you mean by that last paragraph?  Translation please

1 minute ago, AlabamaFalconFan said:

Like the mock, but unless we sign the euro dude from the PS you only have 2 TE on the roster

I am not assembling an entire roster.   Falcons will probably sign a DT, TE, FB in free agency at some point.

On board.  Don't know if I like Griffin in the 3rd...based on the moves the Falcons made in not re-signing Poe/Clayborn/Shelby, I could see them dipping back into the DL pool on Day 2.  That trio played 45% of the DL's defensive snaps in 2017.  While Beasley back at DL and increased Takk usage can make up some of that, to your point - a veteran DL on a 1-year deal is likely (and the market has some - Bennie Logan, Alan Branch, etc).

But it feels like the DL is under major construction with long term fixes in mind.

6 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

What do you mean by that last paragraph?  Translation please

So from the start of the league year until ~early-to-mid May, your signings of certain unrestricted free agents count as "qualifying free agents" for the sake of the compensatory pick system. However, after that period elapses, the UFAs you sign NO LONGER count as QFA. 

So....right now, we're looking at probably two compensatory picks, both in the 4th/5th round. If we were to sign a guy like Bennie Logan, it would cost us one of those picks. However, if we signed Bennie Logan in mid-May, he WOULDNT count as a QFA and we'd get the benefit of saving our comp picks but also picking up a desirable FA. 

I also believe we can sign Rubin back and not have him count as a QFA. 

EDIT TO ADD: Last year's QFA deadline was May 9.