Jump to content

Seems a lot of members have forgotten that players weren't the problem


Recommended Posts

Yes I would love to have Poe, but it's not happening. Never was. 

2016 we made it. Players clicked. Defense showed up second half of the season. 

2017 we thought that sark would be good enough. And there was coaching problems on offense. While defense continued. So we addressed that with pulling in a QB coach who will take over if need be, or train sark correctly. 

If coaching is fixed it doesn't matter who is on the team, just like it didn't matter in 2017. The two biggest pieces are QB and then a coach. Always has, always will. And the falcons are locking that up. 

 

So don't be freaking out how we are not signing anyone and only doing small meh player and only looking into meh players. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Know who teaches those players to catch and then make a move? NFL coaches. College to NFL is very different. In the NFL you'll want to make a move because you know that OLB you can feel his breath on your neck. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, mashburn*Fibonacci said:

Know who teaches those players to catch and then make a move? NFL coaches. College to NFL is very different. In the NFL you'll want to make a move because you know that OLB you can feel his breath on your neck. 

Yea someone really needs to get in Julio's *** about how to catch a football since he lead the team in drops.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, mashburn*Fibonacci said:

Know who teaches those players to catch and then make a move? NFL coaches. College to NFL is very different. In the NFL you'll want to make a move because you know that OLB you can feel his breath on your neck. 

These aren't NFL Rookies at WR tho, they know what they're doing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Jesus said:

I'm surprised it sat there that long with no one hitting it.

I couldn't count the number of player gaffes from last season that cost us games without losing my mind. The thing that irritates me the most is that those tip interceptions were mostly game changers. Even Neal kicking the ball to the Iggle at the end of the first half in the playoffs was HUGE. And it was our best players doing a lot of it. Julio's drop in Charlotte was indicative of how things went. From that moment, I kind of knew that it wasn't our year. Not disrespecting Mash at all, but our biggest problem was players last season.

Now, if you want to blame coaching, blame it for getting away from zone blocking, which took away from Free and Teco's strengths as runners. Blame coaching for not figuring out how to utilize Gabriel. Blame it for limiting Ryan to what seemed like five or six basic passing plays all year long. But even in those cases, the failures were on the part of the players who didn't execute. I swear, it looked like they were all thinking about what they were going to eat after the game all season long.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, mashburn*Fibonacci said:

Know who teaches those players to catch and then make a move? NFL coaches. College to NFL is very different. In the NFL you'll want to make a move because you know that OLB you can feel his breath on your neck. 

Julio dropped seven passes and Mo dropped six. Coaches are teaching them new routes, not how to catch the ball.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, JayOzOne said:

I couldn't count the number of player gaffes from last season that cost us games without losing my mind. The thing that irritates me the most is that those tip interceptions were mostly game changers. Even Neal kicking the ball to the Iggle at the end of the first half in the playoffs was HUGE. And it was our best players doing a lot of it. Julio's drop in Charlotte was indicative of how things went. From that moment, I kind of knew that it wasn't our year. Not disrespecting Mash at all, but our biggest problem was players last season.

Now, if you want to blame coaching, blame it for getting away from zone blocking, which took away from Free and Teco's strengths as runners. Blame coaching for not figuring out how to utilize Gabriel. Blame it for limiting Ryan to what seemed like five or six basic passing plays all year long. But even in those cases, the failures were on the part of the players who didn't execute. I swear, it looked like they were all thinking about what they were going to eat after the game all season long.

The team was in a funk last year. You can blame the SB hangover thing, but I'm not sure. That sounds like an excuse. They just seemed to be off. Even despite all of that they were still one play away from returning to the NFCCG as a 6th seed.

The coaches see what is wrong on the team and are committed to fixing it without breaking the bank or breaking up the team.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Whole timing of our offense was off in 2017. Drops happen when you're throwing up a lot of contested passes, or trying to fit it into coverage when the play started to break down.

2016 we had dudes wide open all over the field and Ryan was a surgeon. Our receivers just weren't even close to as open in 2017.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Jesus said:

The team was in a funk last year. You can blame the SB hangover thing, but I'm not sure. That sounds like an excuse. They just seemed to be off. Even despite all of that they were still one play away from returning to the NFCCG as a 6th seed.

The coaches see what is wrong on the team and are committed to fixing it without breaking the bank or breaking up the team.

How do you fix concentration, though? And with veterans? If any coach can figure it out, it's Quinn, who is the most out of the box thinker in the league. But we easily played well enough on D to win 13 games last year (and the divisional playoff game). It always comes down to little things, so I guess it's back to coaching fundamentals.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

Whole timing of our offense was off in 2017. Drops happen when you're throwing up a lot of contested passes, or trying to fit it into coverage when the play started to break down.

2016 we had dudes wide open all over the field and Ryan was a surgeon. Our receivers just weren't even close to as open in 2017.

A ton of our drops (and tip interceptions) were not contested or caused when the play broke down.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

How do you fix concentration, though? And with veterans? If any coach can figure it out, it's Quinn, who is the most out of the box thinker in the league. But we easily played well enough on D to win 13 games last year (and the divisional playoff game). It always comes down to little things, so I guess it's back to coaching fundamentals.

Here is what an award winning high school OC told me once when. We were volunteering to help coach our kid's pee wee teams:

It's about instinct and preparation. When guys think too much on the field they lose seconds and make mistakes. 

In 2016 the offense was the definition of precision. You could count the seconds until guys were open and the ball was in their hands. 

That was missing last year. Matt was waiting. Guys were open and he was not seeing them. I don't know about preparation in 2017 but it wasn't the same.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

I knew right then that we would lose. The field goal was the difference between us winning with Bryant or needing a touchdown at the end. Just like the '12 NFCCG and **cough** LI.

Or the pack picking off Matt before the half in 2010 and running the table.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Did any of those drops impact the Eagles game?  And the Julio play at the end of regulation wasn’t a drop.  It was a poor offensive gameplan that cost us the game.

 If you need a reminder, watch the All Sark No Bite analysis

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Did any of those drops impact the Eagles game?  And the Julio play at the end of regulation wasn’t a drop.  It was a poor offensive gameplan that cost us the game.

 If you need a reminder, watch the All Sark No Bite analysis

Derp that's regular season. Kneals drop cost the Eagles game. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Did any of those drops impact the Eagles game?  And the Julio play at the end of regulation wasn’t a drop.  It was a poor offensive gameplan that cost us the game.

 If you need a reminder, watch the All Sark No Bite analysis

Those were drops from the regular season. But I remember at least one drop in the Eagles game. And I count Neal's flub to be part of the same malaise. He will make that catch 19 out of 20 times but he kneed it, not into the turf which would probably have been good enough for us to win, but into the hands of a streaking receiver who ran out of bounds with enough time to kick a half-ending field goal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...