lju713

Quinn and Pioli need to run this draft.

97 posts in this topic

Look at draft class 1 and 2, then look at last year class. I understand every draft class will not be a Hall of Fame class. They seem to get it in KC though. Most of that team was built in the draft like ours. Especially their OL and DL. Pioli drafted alot of OL in KC that are either still there or moved on to sign a contract in FA. I think the SB appearance made  us complacent.

FA signings rarely win SB(except Philly) and my thread isn't about the lack of attention we spent on FA, but our talent evaluation is at question. The off-season leading up to the SB was great. He had a great draft and a no brainier, FA. Signing Robinson and Gab to increase speed on O was cost friendly and brilliant. Signing Spoon and Freeney to provide leadership and experience was good. Shelby to set the egde and be a DT/DE looked great until Midway thru the defensive holding bowl in Seattle that season. I just don't see the cost friendly no brainier moves we use to make to make us better.

The draft will be our season, especially the DL and it's a deep draft. If Matt wants a ring he better push the issue to get a deal done to relief our cap so we can resign our own and get a piece or 2 more to help us this off-season. TD needs to be veto and watch the magic Quinn and Pioli can create. Leave those west coast or mountain Time zone schools alone Thomas, they are bad for you. They only want 1 thing TD.... to ruin your resume.

Edited by lju713

29 minutes ago, Return of the Gaucho said:

I love people who think they know what goes on behind closed doors...

If you can't see the difference then you and 4 other people who liked your comment need to go get some weed...y'all cataracts is acting up again.

Mega Flare likes this

3 minutes ago, lju713 said:

If you can't see the difference then you and 4 other people who liked your comment need to go get some weed...y'all cataracts is acting up again.

Yeah. The difference is a coaching staff with a clear vision of what they need. I’m sure you know better though. 

Edit: also, Pioli was here for some bad offseasons too. 

25 minutes ago, Return of the Gaucho said:

No kidding if TD doesn't get 5 starters out of a draft. He's the the worst GM ever. I just smh. If you get 50% of your draft picks to just make you're roster you had a great draft! The better the team gets the harder the draft. TD has said in the past that he and Quinn work hand in hand on the draft. Quinn has just as much responsibility for a draft bust as TD does. Now if you talking cap space. That's a different story.

HASHBROWN3 likes this

Yeah, because TD almost bungled the last 3 drafts. Quinn has to personally hang up TD’s phone, mid conversation as TD tried to call in ATLs picks. They eventually taped him to a chair so he couldn’t mess with the draft. It worked out well that’s why we have Debo and Jarrett now. 

1 hour ago, Return of the Gaucho said:

I just love on confident they are in their own confusion and misunderstanding.  It's admirable.

HASHBROWN3 and hashmark61 like this

Yeah, I have been an outspoken TD lover and hater over his 10 year tenure - but THE SYSTEM is working now - obviously the drafts have gotten significantly better since Dan Quinn came on the scene but Quinn does not do the initial scouting on players - I would give Quinn the most credit but TD and Pioli are a big part of it and so all deserve credit when it goes well - and all deserve blame when it goes bad.

TD is probably less involved in scouting than he used to be but - again - like someone said - hard to know what happens behind the scene.  Not sure how you can give Quinn/Pioli credit for 2016 and then blame TD for 2017 - it doesn't work like that.

Be fair.

I remember Coach Smith saying that the draft was TD's baby but since Quinn has arrived we have noticed the change. Also even though Shanny caused us a SB I think he has an eye for the talent he wanted and was outspoken enough to tell TD. I don't care who does it but we have to knock this draft out the park!

Vandy and falcons007 like this

14 minutes ago, Gold4425 said:

I remember Coach Smith saying that the draft was TD's baby but since Quinn has arrived we have noticed the change. Also even though Shanny caused us a SB I think he has an eye for the talent he wanted and was outspoken enough to tell TD. I don't care who does it but we have to knock this draft out the park!

Some coaches just want to coach and don't want to get too involved in personnel.   I think Mike Smith was one of those coaches - and it hurt him and ultimately cost him his job as the talent just got too diluted and TD and his merry men were winging it without a lot of feedback from coaches on what they needed - at least that is my perception, FWIW.

MSalmon, rounz, falcons007 and 2 others like this

4 hours ago, falconidae said:

You all hatin' on TD do realize that Quinn stated specifically when he was hired  that one of the reasons he came to Atlanta was because TD was here, right?

I tried to say that the other day in another thread and was told there was zero evidence to support that claim.Even though I heard DQ mention it in one of his pressers when he was hired.

20 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

I tried to say that the other day in another thread and was told there was zero evidence to support that claim.Even though I heard DQ mention it in one of his pressers when he was hired.

Yeah, the haters deny anything that conflicts with their idea. I remember it too. Can't find a link to the press conference, here's an article from the Falcoholic about the solid relationship between DQ and TD:

"...When I first got here, I wanted to make sure I could connect with the guy putting the whole thing together," Quinn said. "So Thomas and I have a good partnership going into it. It's been everything I hoped it would be. So we're fired up to get going here..."

"...These open lines of communication and the mutual respect that is evident between Dimitroff and Quinn should be conducive to acquiring players who are good fits, both in the locker room and on the field...."

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2015/4/25/8496225/dan-quinn-and-thomas-dimitroff-co-team-builders

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

Some coaches just want to coach and don't want to get too involved in personnel.   I think Mike Smith was one of those coaches - and it hurt him and ultimately cost him his job as the talent just got too diluted and TD and his merry men were winging it without a lot of feedback from coaches on what they needed - at least that is my perception, FWIW.

Coulda been TD floated BS but there were rumors that the draft results from the Smith era, especially at the end, were more Smith/Nolan than TD.  No clue how true that is, but I recall reading a few articles about it.

Edited by athell

18 minutes ago, falconidae said:

Yeah, the haters deny anything that conflicts with their idea. I remember it too. Can't find a link to the press conference, here's an article from the Falcoholic about the solid relationship between DQ and TD:

"...When I first got here, I wanted to make sure I could connect with the guy putting the whole thing together," Quinn said. "So Thomas and I have a good partnership going into it. It's been everything I hoped it would be. So we're fired up to get going here..."

"...These open lines of communication and the mutual respect that is evident between Dimitroff and Quinn should be conducive to acquiring players who are good fits, both in the locker room and on the field...."

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2015/4/25/8496225/dan-quinn-and-thomas-dimitroff-co-team-builders

Thanks man I knew it was something along those lines but I for the life of me couldn't find that presser on the website as I was going to paste it.

56 minutes ago, athell said:

Coulda been TD floated BS but there were rumors that the draft results from the Smith era, especially at the end, were more Smith/Nolan than TD.  No clue how true that is, but I recall reading a few articles about it.

Naw. TD got too cute, he was gloating when the falcons drafted Lamar Holmes. MS face wasn’t too happy next to him in press conference. TD always had problem replacing OL in the draft.

And same with the LB he drafted moving to 3-4. DQ is the anchor for TD, when he gets too cute. 

Vandy likes this

2 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Exactly. Nothing illustrated this moreso than the year we signed Soliai, TJax and drafted Rashede.....everything screamed transition to a 3-4 (including bringing Nolan aboard). And then booom!!! We continued to run a 4-3......but with 3-4 principles.

The difference in Smitty and DQ is startling. Smitty would send TD to the store and on his grocery list it'd say 
"Italian". So TD would buy oregano, and tomatoes and ground beef and noodles, thinking okay...we can make italian with this....And then at dinner time, you're wondering why your chicken lemon picatta looks like spaghetti.....

DQ is more like. We got steak....I want two sides that go well with it, you to figure out the what goes good with it---something green would be nice. And TD comes back with spinach and potatoes. Quinn then makes creamed spinach and garlic potatoes and we're like....yeaaaaaahhhhhh lol

13 minutes ago, Five_Fifs said:

Exactly. Nothing illustrated this moreso than the year we signed Soliai, TJax and drafted Rashede.....everything screamed transition to a 3-4 (including bringing Nolan aboard). And then booom!!! We continued to run a 4-3......but with 3-4 principles.

The difference in Smitty and DQ is startling. Smitty would send TD to the store and on his grocery list it'd say 
"Italian". So TD would buy oregano, and tomatoes and ground beef and noodles, thinking okay...we can make italian with this....And then at dinner time, you're wondering why your chicken lemon picatta looks like spaghetti.....

DQ is more like. We got steak....I want two sides that go well with it, you to figure out the what goes good with it---something green would be nice. And TD comes back with spinach and potatoes. Quinn then makes creamed spinach and garlic potatoes and we're like....yeaaaaaahhhhhh lol

I honestly think this is a huge part of it.  Obviously it is all discussion that nobody that I know of here is privy to, but it seemed like Smith was more along the lines of "get me a 4-3 LB who can play downhill" whereas DQ is much more specific about the attributes and requirements for each position. You are going to inherently get better results with scheme fit with DQ's apparent approach.  It just seems like Quinn knows what specifics he wants in a player much moreso than Smith.  It also didn't help the Smith had a lot of coaching turnover and scheme change while here whereas the defense is Quinns and the best results we have had in the draft have been on the defensive side of the ball.  

It seems pretty clear that TD is much better when finding specific types of players in the draft as dictated by the system, and has not had great results when he is finding broader archetypes and hoping they adapt to the scheme.  

1 hour ago, falcons007 said:

Naw. TD got too cute, he was gloating when the falcons drafted Lamar Holmes. MS face wasn’t too happy next to him in press conference. TD always had problem replacing OL in the draft.

And same with the LB he drafted moving to 3-4. DQ is the anchor for TD, when he gets too cute. 

Not disputing that...but there were articles about how the picks made were more MS/MN picks instead of TD.  Again, no clue whether they are factual or not and I cannot for the life of me find them now, but whatever who cares lol