While Falcons have remained silent, other NFC teams are getting better

fuego

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, DogIsYourName said:

I don't think the Vikings got good value with Cousins.  They might have gotten marginally better with Cousins, but I actually think it's Sheldon Richardson that made them better.  And I think the Vikings are better than us.

We didn't lose by 31 points to the Eagles

The times when we are the most active is...... After the draft, UDFA season and the last 2 weeks of preseason before the actual season starts. That's when the Falcons do most of their roster tweaks. They have fairly been successful in this period of the year. This is classic TD looking for more bang for the buck.

6 hours ago, NeonDeion said:

Needs article mentioned:

TE -  Not a need. Hooper in 3rd year. Would be nice to add ASJ, Geseiki, or Goedert, but not necessary 

G - Fusco solved for now. We only need league average play. The rest of our OL is stellar.

DE - Solved. Clayborn gone means more snaps for Takk and Beasley back on the line. 

FB - Easy to sign FA late or draft 6th round 

LB - Not mentioned but risky to just roll with Riley 

DT - Massive hole 

Our only major hole is DT. Our 2nd risk is LB. The rest are filled or not tough to fill. 

I love wihen people on here see the voice of reason and state how this team is not is immense peril like the other team s spending 50 - 60 MIllions dollars this year to add players to their team because they NEED to get better.

I agree with what you're stating.  Most positions on this team are pretty solid.Offense is IMO on of the most solidified in the league.  I just think people are not wanting a huge contract for MR because they are still looking to purchase thos high dollar free agents.  We have a solid group at qb, rb, wr, te, ot, c, and lg.  Upgrades at FB and RG were needed i agree.  But not at the expense of paying a FA so much money you lose your own players in coming years.  Getting our FA G was a step in the right direction because it allows us to have at least one solid player on the line with the rest  allowing us to find a successor eventually rather than having to immediately.  FB can be answered anytime.  It's not the most demanding position out there and only few teams regularly use a fb.  I think we'll be ok.  

I look at your list and agree with all of it.  I agree with Takk taking over so it softens the loss of Clay leaving.  I agree Hooper has been good not great but still has potential to take that next step in his second year as a starter.  I see him as one of our top weapons once it all comes together.  I like that you added LB because we have a good set of starters and we should get better if we trade for kendricks and/or draft depth to go along with them.  I love their speed and skills and think this group is highly underrated, even from our own fans.

5 minutes ago, federicofalcon2 said:

I love wihen people on here see the voice of reason and state how this team is not is immense peril like the other team s spending 50 - 60 MIllions dollars this year to add players to their team because they NEED to get better.

I agree with what you're stating.  Most positions on this team are pretty solid.Offense is IMO on of the most solidified in the league.  I just think people are not wanting a huge contract for MR because they are still looking to purchase thos high dollar free agents.  We have a solid group at qb, rb, wr, te, ot, c, and lg.  Upgrades at FB and RG were needed i agree.  But not at the expense of paying a FA so much money you lose your own players in coming years.  Getting our FA G was a step in the right direction because it allows us to have at least one solid player on the line with the rest  allowing us to find a successor eventually rather than having to immediately.  FB can be answered anytime.  It's not the most demanding position out there and only few teams regularly use a fb.  I think we'll be ok.  

I look at your list and agree with all of it.  I agree with Takk taking over so it softens the loss of Clay leaving.  I agree Hooper has been good not great but still has potential to take that next step in his second year as a starter.  I see him as one of our top weapons once it all comes together.  I like that you added LB because we have a good set of starters and we should get better if we trade for kendricks and/or draft depth to go along with them.  I love their speed and skills and think this group is highly underrated, even from our own fans.

Yeah, and people are freaking out that our 3rd WR isn’t that good. Lol.

I am genuinely worried about DT though and our lack of LB depth. But I think Quinn must have a plan. That’s his bread and butter 

8 hours ago, fuego said:

Here's what these teams have actually done.  Take the full additions and subtractions into consideration when considering if these teams have actually improved overall or not.  (For the sake of this not taking up too much space, I didn't go into all of these teams' own free agents they chose to re-sign or not re-sign)

Atlanta:
Added G Brandon Fusco
Lost DT Dontari Poe to CAR
Lost DE Adrian Clayborn to NE
Lost WR Taylor Gabriel to CHI
Cut DE Derrick Shelby
Cut TE Levine Toilolo

Carolina:
Added DT Dontari Poe
Traded CB Daryl Worley to PHI for WR Torrey Smith
Lost G Andrew Norwell to JAX
Lost DT Star Lotuleilei to BUF
Lost TE Ed Dickson to SEA
Cut RB Jonathan Stewart (signed by NYG)
Cut S Kurt Coleman (signed by NO)
Cut DE Charles Johnson

New Orleans:
Added G Jermon Bushrod
Added QB Tom Savage
Added LB Demario Davis
Added CB Patrick Robinson
Added S Kurt Coleman

Lost OT Zach Strief to retirement
Lost S Rafael Bush to BUF
Lost G Senio Kelemete to HOU
Lost QB Chase Daniel to NO

Tampa Bay:
Added DE Vinny Curry
Added C Ryan Jensen
Added K Chandler Catanzaro
Added DT Beau Allen
Added DT Mitch Unrein

Cut DE Robert Ayers
Cut RB Doug Martin (signed by OAK)
Cut DT Chris Baker (signed by CIN)

Philadelphia:
Added LB Corey Nelson
Added DT Haloti Ngata

Traded WR Torrey Smith to CAR for CB Daryl Worley
Traded 2018 5th round pick to SEA for DE Michael Bennett
Lost CB Patrick Robinson to NO
Lost TE Trey Burton to CHI
Lost K Caleb Sturgis to LAC
Lost DT Beau Allen to TB
Lost RB LaGarrette Blount to DET
Lost P Donnie Jones to retirement
Cut DE Vinny Curry (signed by TB)
Cut TE Brent Celek

Minnesota:
Added DT Sheldon Richardson
Added QB Kirk Cousins

Traded 2018 7th round pick to DEN for QB Trevor Siemian
Lost QB Case Keenum to DEN
Lost QB Teddy Bridgewater to NYJ
Lost QB Sam Bradford to ARI
Lost RB Jerick McKinnon to SF
Lost CB Tramaine Brock to DEN

Los Angeles (Rams):
Added CB Sam Shields
Added CB Aqib Talib

Traded LB Alec Ogletree to NYG for 2018 4th and 6th round picks
Traded 2018 4th round pick and 2019 2nd round pick to KC for CB Marcus Peters and 2018 6th round pick
Lost CB Trumaine Johnson to NYJ
Lost WR Sammy Watkins to KC
Lost S Cody Davis to JAX
Lost TE Derek Carrier to OAK
Cut DE Robert Quinn (signed by MIA)

San Francisco:
Added DE Jeremiah Attaochu
Added RB Jerick McKinnon
Added C Weston Richburg

Traded C Daniel Kilgore to MIA for Undisclosed Draft Pick
Lost RB Carlos Hyde to CLE
Lost DE Aaron Lynch to CHI
Lost DE Tank Carradine to OAK

Green Bay:
Added DE Muhammad Wilkerson
Added TE Jimmy Graham

Lost WR Jordy Nelson to OAK

Just now, NeonDeion said:

I am genuinely worried about DT though and our lack of LB depth. But I think Quinn must have a plan. That’s his bread and butter 

Well if you think about it the turnover has been less and less each year from what I can see, we have become more consistent at most of the positions and we are becoming on the those teams where we can lose a player and still have starter quality replacement already in place.  (I.E. Clayborn/Takk) I have no worries about Clay as much as I wanted to keep him, I think increased reps will do Takk and this team well, getting 6 sacks on less than 40% snaps is promising.  

Im not worried about DT, we have one of the best in the business in Jarrett, and I truly feel we will draft his sidekick in this first round.  I may not have many people agreeing but I hope we get Bryan to pair with him because I love his speed and his reach.  But whoever we do get I see this team succeeding with him plugged into this line and learning from our great players on this defense.  That lack of "true holes" will allow us to fill depth with much ease and get players maybe we didn't aim for in years prior.  Getting another RB would be easier to draft a little higher because instead of OG/DT in the first 2 rounds we have just eliminated one position and opened up a draft spot whether it be 1st or 2nd when we draft a DT.

I agree with the WR spots, we have good young depth and honestly letting Gabriel walk was almost a necessity to allow these younger ones time to get involved.  I saw Hall make that catch against MIAMI and was so excited about the potential, which didnt amount to enough rest of the year.  But you'll see people on here who read his name and automatically think "butt INT."  Yeah he could have played that better, but hey stuff happens and it was more of a better play by Lattimore.  Either way everyone goes through bad times, all they can do is learn from it and come back stronger like they've done before.

1 hour ago, Malachore said:

If you don't think Minnesota got better then you're just lying to yourself.

Or, they just spent 84 mil guaranteed to make a lateral move at QB, eating up all their cap space to sign someone who hasn't actually proved he can win a playoff game.

Keenum actually had comparable stats to Cousins last year and won a playoff game. Signed for 60 mil less guaranteed money, Sure Cousins is a better QB, but 60 mil more guaranteed better?

Reminds me of when Suh signed that huge contract in Miami and people thought the next great defense was born. Turned out not to be so, could certain ly turn out to be the case with Minn and Cousins.

8 minutes ago, falconidae said:

Or, they just spent 84 mil guaranteed to make a lateral move at QB, eating up all their cap space to sign someone who hasn't actually proved he can win a playoff game.

Keenum actually had comparable stats to Cousins last year and won a playoff game. Signed for 60 mil less guaranteed money, Sure Cousins is a better QB, but 60 mil more guaranteed better?

Reminds me of when Suh signed that huge contract in Miami and people thought the next great defense was born. Turned out not to be so, could certain ly turn out to be the case with Minn and Cousins.

No way Keenum repeats what he did last year, but yeah Cousins basically will replicate that on a more consistent basis. He does have a bigger arm though. 

3 hours ago, Xfactor said:

Minnesota and Philly definitely got better 

Probably, but Cousins has yet to prove that he is worth all the hype though.

People gave Ryan ish about not winning in the playoffs, but yet Cousins is deemed as the final piece to Vikings SB team without winning a single playoff game.

I think Cousins is a good QB, but the Skins deciding to just let their supposed "franchise QB" just walk out the door gives me a bit of pause.

Hope he proves me wrong, but I will wait and see.

35 minutes ago, NeonDeion said:

Yeah, have no problem with people who wonder who the DT is going to be. Pretty sure though, that Quinn didn't wake up this morning and think " Oh ###, we don't have a NT on the team". FO has a plan.

Falcons have been quiet- not silent, there's a huge difference. They've quietly solidified their Oline by signing Fusco AND by retaining LeVitre by getting him to take a pay cut instead of having to cut him. That's a much bigger deal than folks are giving credit for. You can kvetch all you want about Sarks's playcalling, it would have looked much better with better Oline play.

Reed is another piece they retained by getting a straight pay cut out of him. They also talked to Seattle about Bennett and decided the price was too high- going with DQ on this one, if he didn't think Bennett was worth a 4th rounder, I'm good with that.

Point is though, they talked to Seattle and decided not to make the deal.  They may or may not being talking to the Eagles about Kendricks. They retained Allen. They're making moves, just not making the big splash signing.

Feel pretty good about the Falcons filling the NT spot with a big bodied vet FA and an early draft pick. I'm sure that's their plan.  What worries me a little is the slim chance that NT in 2018 is going to be like Center in 2015, which would be scary.  Pretty sure that's not going to happen, does worry me a little.

44 minutes ago, NeonDeion said:

No way Keenum repeats what he did last year, but yeah Cousins basically will replicate that on a more consistent basis. He does have a bigger arm though. 

Why can't Keenum do that again- not like was 5000 and 40, it was 3500 yards, 22 TD, 7 INTs, 98.3 QB rating. That, with the rest of the Viking team, should be able to get you back to the NFCC, spend the 60 mil elsewhere.

Cousins was 4000 /27/13/ 94 , better yes, not 60 mil better

2 minutes ago, falconidae said:

Why can't Keenum do that again- not like was 5000 and 40, it was 3500 yards, 22 TD, 7 INTs, 98.3 QB rating. That, with the rest of the Viking team, should be able to get you back to the NFCC, spend the 60 mil elsewhere.

Cousins was 4000 /27/13/ 94 , better yes, not 60 mil better

Keenum is a journeyman QB who posted a career year. Those guys return to earth. He wasn’t putting up those numbers again and Denver will find out the bad news (hint: Denver has been awful at evaluating QBs not named Peyton). 

Cousins has shown he can consistently put up top 10 numbers so yes I think he will definitely be significantly better than Keenum next year. But is it worth the price tag? Who knows. Cousins is a 2nd tier QB. Maybe slightly worse than Stafford, slightly better than Dalton. Maybe he’s Carr. 

The point is he’s good, but he’s not Ryan, Wilson, Brees, Brady, or Rodgers good.

Yes, I said Ryan. Half this board needs to get over it 

3 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Yea they did. They look like easily the best 2 teams in the NFC. The conference is going to be crazy this year. 

Philly looked unbeatable when they bought the Dream Team as well. Just saying, they still have to play the games. 

It will be interesting to see how the trade offs work. Especially Curry vs Bennett when considering new system, getting up in age, etc. 

also curious to see if Ngata can still be in impact. They look good on paper for sure.

2 hours ago, falconidae said:

The odds of a career backup regressing is far greater than a guy who has had to prove his worth 3 years in a row.

6 minutes ago, Malachore said:

The odds of a career backup regressing is far greater than a guy who has had to prove his worth 3 years in a row.

Doesn't change my point.

Cousins has a career record of under 500, including  7-9 last year, and has never won a playoff game. How much better is he really? If he's so f'ing good, why didn't Wash sign him to a long term deal?

If you say Wash management screwed up the negotiations  and that the skins weren't a good team, well, you can say the same about Keenum's teams- he was finally in a stable situation in Minn and did well.

Viking just bet 60 mil guaranteed that Cousins is a much better QB than Keenum, all I'm saying is they could be wrong.

10 hours ago, fuego said:

This article is a joke.  Let's break this down - shall we?

"South Division rivals: Carolina lost guard Andrew Norwell (Jacksonville) but added Poe, who helped the Falcons significantly improve their run defense in 2017"  So let me get this straight.......they lost Norwell to an offensive line that already struggled and they added Poe and lost Lotulelei - so how much did they improve?   

"New Orleans signed cornerback Patrick Robinson, convinced Drew Brees to stay in town (he had more lucrative offers elsewhere) and free-agent defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh is scheduled for a visit"  Classic overreation.  Suh didn't sign - Brees is STAYING in NO (Ryan will also be STAYING in ATL), and they signed a 30 year DB with 14 career picks in 10 years.   Better?

"Tampa Bay added defensive tackle Beau Allen from Philadelphia." .....yeah...those 20 tackles and 1 sack will make up the difference for the Bucs....

"Philadelphia: The team that ended the Falcons’ season and won the Super Bowl acquired defensive end Michael Bennett from Seattle and signed Haloti Ngata to make up for Allen’s loss."  OH - and they also cut Vinny Curry and are currently OVER the cap and have to cut/trade players to be compliant.   OH - and also both Ngata and Bennett are older and in their twilight of their career's.  They may also have to park with Kendrick as a result...better?

"Minnesota: The Vikings filled their biggest need by signing quarterback Kirk Cousins after taking a run at Brees. They’re also talking to free-agent interior lineman Sheldon Richardson. They should be contenders again." Yep - they did get substantially better.  But that's what happens when you don't have a QB signed on the roster after all 3 became free agents.   

"Los Angeles: The Rams had the league’s new hip offense under coach Sean McVay last season and they’ve strengthened their defense, trading for cornerbacks Marcus Peters (19 interceptions in three years with Kansas City) and Aqib Talib (five-time Pro Bowler). Defensive coordinator Wade Phillips is giddy."  This one has me scratching my head.   Yes they traded for Peters and Talib - but they also got rid of Quinn and Ogletree - oh and boy wonder LaFleur left to go to the Titans.  I know McVay called plays but LaFleur has been doing something right with game planning.....

"San Francisco: The 49ers had a ton of cap space and may have overpaid for players, but they’ve made the team significantly better. Former Minnesota running back Jerick McKinnon (four years, $30 million), an Atlanta native and former Georgia Southern quarterback/tailback, will flourish in Kyle Shanahan’s offense. Ex-New York Giants center Weston Richburg (five years, $47.5 million) will stabilize the offensive line. Richard Sherman (three years, $27.5 million, but only $7 million guaranteed) provides some leadership, although it’s uncertain how he’ll rebound from a ruptured Achilles that ended his 2017 season."  Uh dude......if you think these moves will move the 49ers past the Falcons - I want some of what you are smoking.   Jerick McKinnon?  I mean the guy's decent - but come on.   Sherman?  2 achilles procedures within a few months of each other?  Yep - that will give them another 7-8 wins alright.   

"Green Bay: The Packers surprisingly let wide receiver Jordy Nelson go, but signed tight end Jimmy Graham and defensive tackle Muhammad Wilkerson."  This one is hilarious.  They subbed one 10mm contract with Nelson with another in Graham and I will tell you I'm much more concerned when Nelson is on the field.   This is a really stupid tradeoff in my opinion - they would've been scarier keeping Nelson and drafting a TE in my view.  I like the Wilkerson signing however.  Still don't think these move vault them past us - they will be tough with these moves or without.   

The only team in my view who may have valuted past the Falcons are the Vikings - who beat us last year anyway.   This article is complete garbage and it's an example of a old tired sports beat writer with no new stories to write about.   It's clear to see through this garbage.  

Just my 2 cents!

8 hours ago, fuego said:

It has been more than two months since the Falcons followed a Super Bowl season with an ugly meltdown in the red zone at Philadelphia, a playoff failure that served as a fitting summation of the season’s chronic underachievement.

There’s a saying in sports: If you’re not getting better, you’re getting worse. It follows that the Falcons couldn’t go into this offseason believing they were suddenly going to morph back into the team that dazzled Atlanta and the rest of the NFL in 2016. They needed at least one lineman to strengthen the defensive front. They needed at least one guard to improve run blocking. They needed a dependable tight end to fill a void that has been present since Tony Gonzalez retired. They needed a fullback to throw a block in short-yardage situations.

Two months ago.

Still waiting for most of the fixes.

If you’re not getting better, you’re getting worse.

The offseason isn’t nearly complete yet. But the outset of free agency has made it pretty clear the Falcons don’t plan on any earth-moving signings, and if they’re going to get better, it’s going to be because of: 1) the draft; 2) significant improvement from existing players.

There’s risk in this. Sometimes existing players don’t get better. Sometimes rookies aren’t ready to contribute at a high level. It’s true that free agency has its perils, but proven veteran commodities tend to be a safer, albeit more expensive, fix.

Problem: The Falcons are somewhat hamstrung by the salary cap. They’ve known for a while what re-signing quarterback Matt Ryan will cost them. That will be confirmed when Ryan signs a contract extension, likely next week, that’s expected to pay him near $30 million per season. The front office also did a nice job last year locking up cornerback Desmond Trufant and running back Devonta Freeman to long-term deals, preventing both from becoming unrestricted free agents this month.

There are other significant players with expiring contracts soon: Grady Jarrett, Jake Matthews and Tevin Coleman in 2019; Deion Jones, Vic Beasley and Devondre Campbell in 2020. It’s the price for drafting well.

But seemingly every important NFC team around the Falcons is getting better. The Falcons’ biggest move has been the signing of guard Brandon Fusco, a relatively cost-efficient move (three years, $12.75 million) for a player who has started 80 of 83 games over seven seasons.

But they’ve already lost defensive tackle Dontari Poe (who signed with Carolina) and end Adrian Clayborn (who signed with New England). That’s a hit to the defensive line.

Meanwhile, elsewhere in the NFC ...

South Division rivals: Carolina lost guard Andrew Norwell (Jacksonville) but added Poe, who helped the Falcons significantly improve their run defense in 2017; New Orleans signed cornerback Patrick Robinson, convinced Drew Brees to stay in town (he had more lucrative offers elsewhere) and free-agent defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh is scheduled for a visit; Tampa Bay added defensive tackle Beau Allen from Philadelphia.

Philadelphia: The team that ended the Falcons’ season and won the Super Bowl acquired defensive end Michael Bennett from Seattle and signed Haloti Ngata to make up for Allen’s loss.

Minnesota: The Vikings filled their biggest need by signing quarterback Kirk Cousins after taking a run at Brees. They’re also talking to free-agent interior lineman Sheldon Richardson. They should be contenders again.

Los Angeles: The Rams had the league’s new hip offense under coach Sean McVay last season and they’ve strengthened their defense, trading for cornerbacks Marcus Peters (19 interceptions in three years with Kansas City) and Aqib Talib (five-time Pro Bowler). Defensive coordinator Wade Phillips is giddy.

San Francisco: The 49ers had a ton of cap space and may have overpaid for players, but they’ve made the team significantly better. Former Minnesota running back Jerick McKinnon (four years, $30 million), an Atlanta native and former Georgia Southern quarterback/tailback, will flourish in Kyle Shanahan’s offense. Ex-New York Giants center Weston Richburg (five years, $47.5 million) will stabilize the offensive line. Richard Sherman (three years, $27.5 million, but only $7 million guaranteed) provides some leadership, although it’s uncertain how he’ll rebound from a ruptured Achilles that ended his 2017 season.

Green Bay: The Packers surprisingly let wide receiver Jordy Nelson go, but signed tight end Jimmy Graham and defensive tackle Muhammad Wilkerson.

The Falcons will be battling all eight of those teams for playoff berths. Five of them -- Philadelphia, Green Bay, New Orleans (twice), Carolina (twice), Tampa Bay (twice) -- comprise eight of the Falcons’ 16 games.

With Fusco signed, it’s logical general manager Thomas Dimitroff and coach Dan Quinn will draft a defensive lineman early in the draft. They may also need to draft a tight end. Signing or trading for a proven veteran and potential mentor to Austin Hooper would’ve been safer. They also still need a fullback.

Still a lot of holes. Still a lot of time. But everybody else seems to be getting better, and the Falcons look like they’re standing still.

https://www.myajc.com/blog/jeff-schultz/while-falcons-have-remained-silent-other-nfc-teams-are-getting-better/OX2zX0ViMRP85A9fBNqVFO/

First off, any article written halfway through the player acquisition process and before the most critical part of said process is dumb.

Secondly, the analysis is done in a half *** way, suggesting that the listed teams have only gained assets and not loss them.

Of that list,only San Francisco and the LA Rams unquestionably improved. And even the Rams are significantly worse on offense currently---They loss a solid guard in Fusco, traded their best LB and Edge rusher in Ogletree and Quinn, respectively, and loss their "number 1" receiver, in Sammy Watkins (albeit not an elite # 1)  who they gave up a 2nd round pick for only a year ago. Peters and Talib are excellent, but it's not like they were horrible last year with Trumaine Johnson back there. Pairing Ndmakong Suh with Aaron Donald would be ferocious though if it comes to fruitiion....

San Fran's improvement is extremely relative....with the money they had to spend and their generally deficiency in talent last year, OF COURSE they're better than last year. But are they better than us? Is McKinnon better than Free or Coleman? Can Sherm fair better against Julio with a bum achilles?

For the Vikings, Kirk Cousins is a better player than Case Keenum 7 days out of the week, generally speaking. But is he better than the Case Keenum who played last year? They basically swapped out a very solid Shamar Stephens for the still unrealized potential of Sheldon Richardson. They also loss McKinnon, Jairus Wright. Is Cousins-Thielen-Diggs-Murray-Rudolph better than Ryan-Julio-Sanu-Freeman/Coleman- Hooper? Not by a long shot. 

Philly arguably as gotten worse thus. They've lost Vinny Curry and Beau Allen. Bennett is not the player Curry presently is, he's just cheaper. Same for Ngata and Beau Allen. CB Daryl Worley replaces CB Patrick Robinson......that defense is not better. Trey Burton is gone. Legarette Blount is gone. Torrey Smith is gone. Brent Celek is probably gone. Mychal Kendricks is on the trade block. And they're the team everyone is gunning for.....

Green Bay loss Jordy, who shared an amazing chemistry with A-Rod. Jimmy Graham scares no one at this point.  Muhammad Wilkerson is a **** of player to  pair with Mike Daniels. But their current corners are Kevin King, Davon House, Quinten Rollins and Lenzy Pipkins.......

Saints added a CB that they let leave a few years ago. They kept a QB that they've always had.....Demario Davis is a sneaky good signing. But really, are the Saints unbeatable now because of Robinson and Davis?

And as far as our own house...we have improved at DE two fold already. Last year our starting DEs were Brooks Reed and Clayborn. Situationally, we probably will still see Reed a good bit, but generally speaking, we are better and younger at DE with Vic and Takk starting. Reed as our third end, situationally, is probably on par with what Takk gave us last year. 

Fusco is unspectacular. But we don't need spectacular. We need competence at RG. Fusco grades out schematically just as good as Levitre and no one is calling for Levitre's head. We are better at RG.

The Gabriel that we are losing is not the same Gabriel that we are actually going to miss. Hardy was just as effective last year. By default, we are no worse thaN last year, although we arguably are missing the "threat" Gabriel's speed provides

We still need to address DT,, no doubt. But if we only resign Ahtyba Rubin and Upshaw, we will have depth equal to last year And that's without considering a DT market that still lists Jay Bromley, Dominique Easley, Tyrunn Walker, J Hankins and Shamar Stephens among its eligibles. We signed Poe nearly a month into free agency last year.....

Almost anyone we add at FB will be an improvement over Derrick Coleman...

Which leaves us having to figure out TE....which honestly, only requires a backup.

6 minutes ago, falconidae said:

Doesn't change my point.

Cousins has a career record of under 500, including  7-9 last year, and has never won a playoff game. How much better is he really? If he's so f'ing good, why didn't Wash sign him to a long term deal?

If you say Wash management screwed up the negotiations  and that the skins weren't a good team, well, you can say the same about Keenum's teams- he was finally in a stable situation in Minn and did well.

Viking just bet 60 mil guaranteed that Cousins is a much better QB than Keenum, all I'm saying is they could be wrong.

I just see it as you spent almost the whole season with Keenum as your QB and he performed so well with him now not only did you let him leave and he has to prove everything all over again with Denver, but now you are bringing in Cousins who has been decent with Washington for three years but has been with them for 6 years.  He has been there long enough to know nuances of the offense and players who play with him.  He knows there flaws and tendencies and now has to learn that all over again with albeit a much better offensive roster but the familarity has to be reestablished.  I'm not saying he can't do it, I'm just saying not everyone has the ability to adjust to a whole new team of players over night.  I think he is a decent qb and if he had stayed in WAS he would have for sure been the franchise for years to come.  I'd just hate to see qbs playing well for a team because of the comfort level they attain with teammates and coaches and then head to another team with different schemes and player skillsets and do worse because its not based on their style of play and THAT is what defines them, not the good season they had before.

Schultz speaks the truth.  I think the lack of activity in free agency means it's clear the Falcons are not looking at this season as "what do we need to get back to the playoffs right now".  This team has huge holes at multiple positions, and they've only solved one of them (potentially) with the Fusco signing. I think Schultz is right that they are banking on continuing improvement, and what will have to be a cracking good draft to be in playoff contention again next year.  There's wisdom in that strategy, but I disagree with it. 

You have a franchise quarterback (please don't argue about that here), and the greatest wide receiver in the game right now (in my opinion).  Every season that passes brings you closer to a day when Matt and/or Julio will no longer be effective, or where your QB goes down due to injury and a season is lost.  We're on the side where the window is closing, folks.  That's why I was not a fan of the Sark hire before last season even started.  You're banking on an unknown/unproven coordinator, when you need to win right bloody now.  We didn't and don't have time for him to turn into an effective coordinator, and we saw the results. 

I believe the clock is ticking.  Either the front office doesn't agree with me, or they know something I don't (which is certainly possible).  

8 hours ago, Knight of God said:

The main reason? It’s being played in Atlanta and the trust levels aren’t quite high with the draft. 2 out of 3 isn’t bad at all. In fact it’s impressive. A tad annoying when we get into “give the last group a chance” we have no choice in the matter. It’s still not comfortable. So, we wait and see. Some here are in love with the roster. The problem many have noted is Beasley at LB. they said he won’t be, but who trusts them now? Also that doesn’t mean Jarrett won’t be tried there. Being silly there, but still. Fans sacrifice a lot based on their situation, so it’s not easy to be on the sidelines not knowing. Injuries and anything else can happen. I’m not a fan of our set up, personally so that’s me. I hope we get the draft right, but that would take BPA. Those DTs scare me in the wrong way. Not a fan.

See KoG I only worry about what I can control like you kind of alluded too.

Theres zero point in the worry wart mentality as we have no control.

I've seen enough from TD and co to at this point in time at least to give them that and see how things pan out.

I still have plenty of faith in what we have on the roster right now and what can be added to still be up there fighting with the best to get this job done.

If others don't fine but I think totally different than the above mentioned.