Potential Trade Brewing With Falcons-Eagles for Mychal Kendricks?

Report: Falcons could trade for Eagles LB Mychal Kendricks

A bit of important news has somehow escaped Falcondom, but it would have major ramifications for Atlanta’s linebacking core.

It’d involve a trade for one of the better LBs in the game.So, Eagles LB Mychal Kendricks is a potential trade target for the Atlanta Falcons, and apparently was one last year, presumably at the trade deadline. Kudos to Falcfans’ Aaron Freeman for the find here.

As Rapoport says in the video, Kendricks has been a popular name on the trade block for quite some time. He’s a very good linebacker, if a bit of an expensive one (he carries a $7.6 million hit on his current deal for 2018), who seems to have never really gelled with Eagles DC Jim Schwartz’s plans for the defense.

If added, he would man the weak side LB spot next to Deion Jones. One wonders what fair compensation would be, but if Philly were desperate to get this contract off their books, a 2018 sixth rounder and a 2019 pick would make sense. That’d be a bargain for the Falcons in the compensation department for a player of Kendricks’ caliber.

A trade for the Eagles LB would bring up questions in the interim for LB Duke Riley, who took his lumps for the 2017 season at the weak side spot (though he missed some time last November with a knee injury, which never helps a rookie trying to grow). As some have noted, the defense did look better when Kemal Ishmael was playing at the weak side, and Kendricks would, no doubt, be a major improvement over both right now in the role.

Though, Kendricks is versatile and can play the strong side as well, so maybe Riley could use another season of development, and Kendricks could slide over to take De’Vondre Campbell’s job in 2020 if the latter leaves in free agency. Riley could step up to start at WSB then, if the team felt he was ready.

This is going to be a storyline to watch in the days and weeks ahead, as a trade would hammer in one of the weaker spots on Atlanta’s defense with a very quality player. We’ll see if Atlanta gets this one done.

This could be a huge pickup for our LB corps but at what cost? 

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, athell said:

Would be great, but is there any teeth behind this?  Not trying to be a buzzkill, just curious how much merit this rumor has?

Not sure but it was mentioned that we were interested in him last year.  I think the 'buzzkill' is not in the merit so much as the dollars and picks that would likely be involved.

Just now, falconfansince66 said:

He was a second round pick for the Eagles in 2012.  Probably would take at least that.

I don't think it will take that much tbh.

He has been on the block for a minute, they signed their LB they wanted, so I think a mid + late rounder will make it happen...but we will see.  For example, Ogeltree (who granted is not the player Kendricks is) fetched a 4th and 6th.

4 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

This isn't true. I have it on good authority that free agency is over and that our 2019 lineup is set..

No one ever said free agency is over bud. Some of us are frustrated with the lack of moves while other teams are getting better. A trade like this would be a big deal and a step in the right direction. 

Just now, D.B.N. said:

No one ever said free agency is over bud. Some of us are frustrated with the lack of moves while other teams are getting better. A trade like this would be a big deal and a step in the right direction. 

Do i need to pull up the quotes? Multiple posters have said free agency is over and that we're not signing anybody.

4 minutes ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

The Eagles have to move him.

So I think a 4th or 5th round pick in the 2019 draft should be good.

With the trades that have happened recently, I think a 6th round pick could probably get him. Eagles would probably want a 5th, but like the article says, if Philly is really desperate they’ll accept a low offer.