falconidae

For all of those who are panicked about the current state of the defense, lets compare the 2014 and 2017 rosters

67 posts in this topic

These are the top 15 snap counts on defense for 2014 and 2017, from Football outsiders

2014               2017

Worrilow           Alford
Trufant              Neal
lowery               Jones
Ishmael            Allen
Bierman           Trufant
McCLain          Campbell
Babs                Jarrett
Alford               Poe  
Goodman         Poole
TJAx              Clayborn 567
Soliai              Reed
Peters           Beaseley  
Wilson           Shelby
Bartu             Takk 401
Shembo        Riley

In 3 years 13 out of the 15 have been replaced, with better, younger players. That's an incredibly rapid turnaround.  See no reason it can't continue this year.

Just now, falconidae said:

Yeah, I know better, and I'll have to leave in an hour or so. But, just felt like it.

*I* appreciate ya and I agree...but I'm staying out of this one lol

But we're not competing against the 2014 Falcons. We're are competing against teams that had better 2017 records and have improved themselves so far in FA.

Hopefully things will fall in place for us and we'll also be an improved team by the time the 2018 season starts.

7 minutes ago, middlegatv said:

But we're not competing against the 2014 Falcons. We're are competing against teams that had better 2017 records and have improved themselves so far in FA.

Hopefully things will fall in place for us and we'll also be an improved team by the time the 2018 season starts.

We gotta makeup for that sorry 2017 draft, this needs to be a good off-season. We need at least one more solid contributor in FA to really set us up for the draft. 

We have the draft and FA still. But the 2017 defense carried the team. Look at the active roster. We have 3 LBs, 2 DTs, and 3 DEs. Some of our current players can improve, but what if they do not. We are counting on all the stars to align in our favor (good players of need to be available where we pick late in each round, and good cheap FAs). We also have a terrible red zone offense that needs some help. I hope we luck up and get Hankins and Kendricks. That would make us all feel better about the draft. But there is some reason for concern.

Slappywhite likes this

Sorry 2017 draft I thought players get more than 1 year to be judged hhhmmmmm.

As for replacing Shelby Poe and Clayborn I see replacements on the roster already for 2 of them lol so I guess we only got to find a guy to replace Poe in my eyes and with FA still well in hand,Ryan's contract soon to be completed,The Draft possible trades yeah sorry can't get with the worrying from alot round here.

vel likes this

I still maintain that if we played the defense that the roster it was built for then the 2014 defense would have been much better and thought about in a higher esteem.

The front 7 could have been a pretty **** solid 3-4 front 7 if we commited to it

Five_Fifs likes this

5 hours ago, middlegatv said:

But week 1 into FA who said the Falcons aren't going to do something along those lines aswell.

Its almost as though from alot round here we have to sign a named player for us to improve.

6 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Sorry 2017 draft I thought players get like ne'er than 1 year to be judged hhhmmmmm.

As for replacing Shelby Poe and Clayborn I see replacements on the roster already for 2 of them lol so I guess we only got to find a guy to replace Poe in my eyes and with FA still well in hand,Ryan's contract soon to be completed,The Draft possible trades yeah sorry can't get with the worrying from alot round here.

Name our quality depth on defense. What happens if Debo or Jarrett gets injured? As KOG says we our a house of cards.

6 minutes ago, Bigbenright said:

Name our quality depth on defense. What happens if Debo or Jarrett gets injured? As KOG says we our a house of cards.

I tell you what happens after FA draft waivers and possible trade scenarios have been explored.

Lol at the house of cards line.

The idea that your judging the roster on what it is now to what it will be after the above mentioned is almost laughable.

22 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

I tell you what happens after FA draft waivers and possible trade scenarios have been explored.

The idea that your judging the roster on what it is now to what it will be after the above mentioned is almost laughable.

I totally understand that. My previous post alludes to that. But we do not always hit on those pick-ups (Coleman at FB and Roberts at PR/KR for example). Trading with the Eagles for Kendricks would do wonders for our defense.

Edited by Bigbenright

Just now, Bigbenright said:

I totally understand that. My previous post alludes to that. But we do not always hit on those pick-ups (Coleman at FB and Roberts at PR/KR for example). Trading with the Eagle for Kendricks would do wonders for our defense.

We'll have to wait and see man I'm sure we aren't the only suitors for his services.

The biggest hole for me in this team we need to fix is the interior defensively if there's one thing to fix that is it.I think a good portion of our resources Draft wise must go there.Supplemental small FA moves is the smart move in my eyes right now.

At the moment I see the FO is seeing where the cards fall before plotting there next move.Patience is a virtue for us I don't see how jumping feet first into FA helps us a lot if I'm honest.

Bigbenright likes this

8 hours ago, falconidae said:

These are the top 15 snap counts on defense for 2014 and 2017, from Football outsiders

2014               2017

Worrilow           Alford
Trufant              Neal
lowery               Jones
Ishmael            Allen
Bierman           Trufant
McCLain          Campbell
Babs                Jarrett
Alford               Poe  
Goodman         Poole
TJAx              Clayborn 567
Soliai              Reed
Peters           Beaseley  
Wilson           Shelby
Bartu             Takk 401
Shembo        Riley

In 3 years 13 out of the 15 have been replaced, with better, younger players. That's an incredibly rapid turnaround.  See no reason it can't continue this year.

Then you are ignoring our free agent losses, cap situation and draft slots.

Barring cuts or restructures we will have our work cut out for us.

11 hours ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

We gotta makeup for that sorry 2017 draft, this needs to be a good off-season. We need at least one more solid contributor in FA to really set us up for the draft. 

Takk looks like a future pro-bowler, possibly this year. If that’s all you get in a draft, you had a good draft, especially if you are picking super late 

Edited by NeonDeion

The 2018 Falcons D talent is superior to the 2014 roster that went 6-10 and was blown out 34-3 at home by Carolina in the final regular season game to determine which NFCS team would win the division with a losing record.

When put into further context, this comparison doesn't have quite the calming effect that was intended, lol.

The 2017 D was the strength of the team. Two of its key DL are gone. Hopefully the Falcons can draft a DT who can be a quality starter on Day 1. Poe is a significant loss. 

It's not about being panicked some people just want to know what the plan is to replace some veterans. I'm all for building through the draft but FA is were you have to supplement certain roster spots. Everyone should be able to post their opinion without a certain crowd having such disdain over their concerns.

14 hours ago, Yo_Lover said:

We lost Poe, Clay, and Shelby. Those guys have to be replaced. Are we gonna do it all in the draft? 

And that's just the start of this team's problems

Shelby was JAG, Takk can take most of Clayborns snaps this year. Poe needs to be replaced.

My point is, that when DQ took over this team, 9 starters need to be replaced, this year, 1

12 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Then you are ignoring our free agent losses, cap situation and draft slots.

Barring cuts or restructures we will have our work cut out for us.

No I'm not, I'm showing how much DQ has changed the D in 3 years. Only FAs in the top 15 are Poe, Clayborn and Shelby- Need a replacement for Poe, still much better than needing a replacement for 9 starters.