CAP Allocation: Needs More Balance

Does anyone else find our CAP distribution troubling?  If we can’t start drafting talent on offense we are going to see many young studs we drafted walk out the door.  

We currently have 21 players on defense and they account for 51 million (28th in NFL).

Meanwhile on Offense we have 27 players who eat up $108,000,000 in CAP (2nd in NFL)  

64% of our CAP goes to the offense.  We need more balance over the next few years IMO

We will in due time .. the only guys who are locks to be paid for the long haul is Matt & Julio an Julio is definitely on a pitch count compared to Matt . 

Guys like Sanu, Freeman, Levitre, Fresco, Mack days are all numbered so to speak . I say that because they’re older & paid more than our young guys on Defense who will be due 2nd contracts soon. Neal, Grady, Debo, Vic & Campbell are gonna change this allotment within a year or 2. Then Takk .. by the time Takk gets his all those guys I listed on offense above will be gone .  

I’d imagine teams with franchise QBs are all pretty heavily weighted toward the offense, especially if the guy is the $20 mil + type. 

Honestly, I think part of the problem is the rules involving the salary cap. IMO, the salary cap should consist of the bottom 52 salaries on the roster instead of the top 50. It penalizes teams who have franchise type players when the time comes to pay them. 

It’s combination of draft and FA. As long as they both balance it’s no big deal. Falcons under TD had focused mostly on Defense in top 3 rounds. If the Falcons start paying Garrett, Vic, Allen, Neal and Debo on defense, they would be forced to draft offense in 1-3 rounds. 

I am ok with Picking the defense in draft and spending money on offense in FA. TD and DQ have drafted well on the defense.

3 hours ago, Butudontseeme™ said:

I’d imagine teams with franchise QBs are all pretty heavily weighted toward the offense, especially if the guy is the $20 mil + type. 

Honestly, I think part of the problem is the rules involving the salary cap. IMO, the salary cap should consist of the bottom 52 salaries on the roster instead of the top 50. It penalizes teams who have franchise type players when the time comes to pay them. 

QB salaries are major outliers.  They often cost more than twice the next salary on every team.  For that reason, I propose that QB salaries not be adjusted for cap calculations.  For example, divide the annual salary by 2 before counting agains the cap.

As mentioned in an earlier post, most team's salaries will be weighted towards the offense because of the cost of maintaining a franchise QB.

4 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Does anyone else find our CAP distribution troubling?  If we can’t start drafting talent on offense we are going to see many young studs we drafted walk out the door.  

We currently have 21 players on defense and they account for 51 million (28th in NFL).

Meanwhile on Offense we have 27 players who eat up $108,000,000 in CAP (2nd in NFL)  

64% of our CAP goes to the offense.  We need more balance over the next few years IMO

I was thinking it, but hey.

The guys on offense arent getting new contracts unless their name is Ryan, Julio or mathews. The young guys on defense on the other hand are gonna get big contracts. Guys like Grady, Deion, Beasley, keanu, campbell, rico allen etc are gonna tie up some money in abt 2 years. Lets revisit this thread then

1 hour ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Look at any team with a top qb and you'll see the same. 

New England has 48% of their CAP on offense (Brady CAP $22,000,000)

Seattle has 40% (Russell Wilson CAP $24,000,000)

Falcons at 64% (MR CAP $21,000,000)

Edited by Falconsin2012

38 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Neither of them have the number 1 WR,  one of the best WR2,  top 5 RB or top 5 center on their payroll. Simple math

1 hour ago, Falconsin2012 said:

It’s not just QB. How many top 3 round offensive players did Falcons pick under TD and how many defense? It will change when the Falcons decide to play the good young defensive players. The Falcons will be forced to pick Drafts with more offensive players. 

55 minutes ago, UnrealfalcoN said:

Neither of them have the number 1 WR,  one of the best WR2,  top 5 RB or top 5 center on their payroll. Simple math

Falcons OL almost takes up 50 M in cap space. The Falcons haven’t had much success in draft because they focus on D most of the years.

9 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I've been posting about this for years. Believe it or not it used to be even more imbalanced with closer to an 80/20 split. 

2 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

So Seattle is unbalanced the opposite way (I wonder if these numbers are counted before or after Bennett and Sherman left). Either way, Seattle is a pretty good example of what happens when you never invest in offense. 

I’d say these percentages are pretty all over the spectrum with a team like NE being probably the closest to 50/50 there is. Where do you see this at?

5 hours ago, UnrealfalcoN said:

That’s the point, right?  Our offense assumes too much of our CAP.  You don’t need #1 players at every skill position.  Especially when the offense was 8th out of 16 in the NFC

4 hours ago, Jpowers said:

When the young guys (Vic, Debo, Jarrett, Neal) get their contracts it's going to balance out. And that's if we can keep all of them...

And how do we compensate for having $25,000,000 less to spend on offense. Imagine us without Sanu, Mack, Freeman & Schraeder?  

Edited by Falconsin2012

1 minute ago, Falconsin2012 said:

And how do we compensate for having $25,000,000 less to spend on offense. Imagine us without Sanu, Mack, Freeman & Schraeder?  

Honestly.....we probably don't. There's going to come a day when we have to let  go of/cut a good player because we're planning for the future contract of another good player and this board is going to be unbearable.