JG2008

No Poe, No Clayborn, No more money to pay FA’s - will the Falcons be worse or better after this offseason?

130 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Knight of God said:

Yeah, they NEED to. Based on the history of this team, will they?

Based on the history of this team, 2016 should have never happened, yet it's our best season in franchise history (ok, I pulled that last part out of my rectum) to be followed up, by any other year but 2016 standards, a pretty decent run. I think people only see the guys who have left and not the people who will be added. We'll have a strong team this year.....mark my words.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, crimsonhawk said:

Based on the history of this team, 2016 should have never happened, yet it's our best season in franchise history (ok, I pulled that last part out of my rectum) to be followed up, by any other year but 2016 standards, a pretty decent run. I think people only see the guys who have left and not the people who will be added. We'll have a strong team this year.....mark my words.

We can't see the players added, because they haven't been added. 

Vandy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

We can't see the players added, because they haven't been added. 

That, my friend, is my point. We don't know who is going to be added, so we may all be pleasantly surprised.....and by god it's 4:30 am again....gotta stop this s***!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, crimsonhawk said:

That, my friend, is my point. We don't know who is going to be added, so we may all be pleasantly surprised.....and by god it's 4:30 am again....gotta stop this s***!!

No, until people see what is added there will be angst based on the history of this team. To be real, there is not much left right now and waiting for some nebulous individual to be cut, well. C'mon man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Knight of God said:

No, until people see what is added there will be angst based on the history of this team. To be real, there is not much left right now and waiting for some nebulous individual to be cut, well. C'mon man.

Just an insomniac (evidently) trying to see the glass half full, lol, I don't have any answers. If I did, I wouldn't be on a message board at 4:30 in the morning:lol:

Knight of God likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, crimsonhawk said:

Just an insomniac (evidently) trying to see the glass half full, lol, I don't have any answers. If I did, I wouldn't be on a message board at 4:30 in the morning:lol:

Truth is, I hav insomnia myself man. Work and messed up internal clock did it.

Jerz #DukeSZN likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Smiler11 said:

Defense was massively improved. Offense struggled, but I don't think that was related to player development. 

Big reason D improve was because of Poe. Huge loss.

mqg96 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is really hurting to watch. In a season where this team can make history, the FO turns its nose up at the thought of free agents who can help this team in depth.

Can't wait for the likes of Joe Vellano and CJ Goodwin to come back and get meaningful snaps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Xfactor said:

Duke Riley missed that memo

Duke Riley could turn it around this season too... not gonna give up on him after his rookie season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Xfactor said:

What are you holding out for Suh lol.

When we let Poe walk to Carolina for peanuts when we could have re-signed him easily told me all I need to know on how this FA was going to go. There is no one in FA better than Poe that we can afford and they have a plan ?

9 mil a year is the 6th highest paid player on the falcons. That's not peanuts.

TD and DQ have had a plan since they got here. The defense needed 9 pieces when they got here 3 years ago, they need 1 now. Haven't neglected the offense in the meantime.

Think it's been a pretty good plan myself, some mistakes-person as a center, thinking Sark wouldn't have growing pains- but lots and lots of hits as well.

Think it's obvious that their plan is to sign a FA veteran run stuffer cheap, draft a DT early and save the money to pay the youngsters coming up on second contracts. TD&DQ have done well enough so far that I can buy into that right now.

Could that plan blow up in their faces like the plan of trying to make person a center did? Sure, but I think they've earned the benefit of a doubt here.

 

8 hours ago, Yo_Lover said:

Need a DE, 2 DT, CB, WR, TE, LB, FS. We can get all of that in one draft??

Don't need to get it all in one draft. WR/FS, maybe the TE  are on the roster already. Grab a run stuffing DT in FA, you're down to a DE,DT & CB in the draft, that you can do. You can also draft/sign hybrids-DE/DT, S/CB, weapon on offense-if you run a lot of 2 TE sets for example, WR isn't nearly as critical.

And there'll be lots of possible pick ups from FA and TC cuts to fill the depth positions.

Could sign Klug as a rotational DE for example. The key point isn't whether you think Klug would be a good fit here, it's that, until 2 days ago, he was not even an option. Lots of players like that are going to be available between now and opening day. I trust DQ & Co to find solid depth pieces either in FA or the draft.

Critical piece to me is gotta get the DT right in the draft. That makes me nervous, but, like I said, this FO has earned my trust that they can pull this off.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's my thing with all this I didn't want them to go out and break the bank but they could have upgraded the roster without handicapping it. I also think that in the NFL you either get better or worse you never stay the same. On paper we've gotten worse and a lot of NFC teams are better:

Eagles
Giants
Vikings
Packers
Bears
Rams
49ers
Panthers

That's a lot of teams that have made moves to get better and the NFC is a dog fight every year. I wonder why we couldn't have given Tyler Efeirt the 1 year $8million max contract, we won't earn all that money this year unless he balls and then it's worth it. Plus because it's only a 1 year deal it gives us cap flexibility next year to sign guys that need to be signed. I'm not saying let's break the bank and sign everyone I think there were chances to make the roster better that were left on the table which I find concerning.

mqg96 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So now were supposed to be doomed because we didn't sign Poe and Clayborn right? Who on this board would take Clayborn over Takk? Did we have Poe on our Superbowl roster? No Poe was on the roster last year when we didn't make it to the Superbowl! Everybody's cryin and b!tching about having no depth well welcome to the NFL where either you have a franchise QB or you don't, if you do a substantial amount of your CAP money will go to the position, if you don't have said QB you're on the outside looking in during the playoffs every year UNLESS you hit on a QB in the draft and can get him cheap for 4 or 5 years. Which top tier offensive and defensive player available in free agency this year should we invest in and risk the future development of our team on due to lack of CAP SPACE to sign our own homegrown talent? 

Edited by Falcons&Dawgs#1Fan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, rh50 said:

Here's my thing with all this I didn't want them to go out and break the bank but they could have upgraded the roster without handicapping it. I also think that in the NFL you either get better or worse you never stay the same. On paper we've gotten worse and a lot of NFC teams are better:

Eagles
Giants
Vikings
Packers
Bears
Rams
49ers
Panthers

That's a lot of teams that have made moves to get better and the NFC is a dog fight every year. I wonder why we couldn't have given Tyler Efeirt the 1 year $8million max contract, we won't earn all that money this year unless he balls and then it's worth it. Plus because it's only a 1 year deal it gives us cap flexibility next year to sign guys that need to be signed. I'm not saying let's break the bank and sign everyone I think there were chances to make the roster better that were left on the table which I find concerning.

Signing FAs doesn't automatically make you better. 

Efiert just had his second back surgery, has played in 10 games since 2015. That's huge risk for that kind of moeny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, falconidae said:

Signing FAs doesn't automatically make you better. 

Efiert just had his second back surgery, has played in 10 games since 2015. That's huge risk for that kind of moeny.

Not all of those teams I mentioned got better by FA some were by trade as well. And the 8 Mil isn't guaranteed my guess is he'd have to play all 16 games plus perform at a high level to get the max. I don't see why we couldn't take a chance on a guy like that who when healthy is a beast in the red zone where the we struggled last year.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Knight of God said:

Thing is not how long FA has been going, rather can you get similar or better talent at this phase? 

We are a joke since LI. Last year no one thought we’d make it to the game. No one was surprised when we didn’t.

we aren’t the Browns, I give you that. We are the Falcons. Will they, won’t they every year. You think teams are scared to play us?

**** let's just go be Texans fans. I kid, I wish I was one of those ppl that could switch their favorite team every year lol. I'll more than likely have a new wife before I have a new football team :/ 

Knight of God likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MoFalconsFan56 said:

**** let's just go be Texans fans. I kid, I wish I was one of those ppl that could switch their favorite team every year lol. I'll more than likely have a new wife before I have a new football team :/ 

Lol!!!

MoFalconsFan56 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Falcons&Dawgs#1Fan said:

So now were supposed to be doomed because we didn't sign Poe and Clayborn right? Who on this board would take Clayborn over Takk? Did we have Poe on our Superbowl roster? No Poe was on the roster last year when we didn't make it to the Superbowl! Everybody's cryin and b!tching about having no depth well welcome to the NFL where either you have a franchise QB or you don't, if you do a substantial amount of your CAP money will go to the position, if you don't have said QB you're on the outside looking in during the playoffs every year UNLESS you hit on a QB in the draft and can get him cheap for 4 or 5 years. Which top tier offensive and defensive player available in free agency this year should we invest in and risk the future development of our team on due to lack of CAP SPACE to sign our own homegrown talent? 

We should have traded for Michael Bennett and/or invested in one of Richardson/Wilkerson in a one-year deal similar to what they received. Would not have hurt team locking up it’s younger players at all. Instead, we go stupid in tendering Ben garland for $3m, sign a SF mediocre OG for $4.5 M, and we were reportedly chasing washed-up Danny woodhead before he retired. Smh 

Philly and Minny especially were already ahead of us before offseason, now they’re further ahead. 

Bobby.Digital likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Vandy said:

We should have traded for Michael Bennett and/or invested in one of Richardson/Wilkerson in a deal similar to what they received. 

Philly and Minny especially were already ahead of us before offseason, now they’re further ahead. 

^^^^ The truth. 

I wasnt expecting much out of this FA period however those deals all could have been made without affecting our future contracts. All would have filled a huge need for great value. The Bennett and Richardson deals especially sting. 

Knight of God and Vandy like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Bobby.Digital said:

^^^^ The truth. 

I wasnt expecting much out of this FA period however those deals all could have been made without affecting our future contracts. All would have filled a huge need for great value. The Bennett and Richardson deals especially sting. 

Hopefully like you suggested earlier Bobby, they have something going On behind the scenes for someone like Bennie Logan. 

I believe in building team thru the draft more than just about anybody, but you can’t expect a rookie DT to come in right away and replace donatari poe and not go backwards for awhile. 

The garland deal especially is mind numbing. Is he replacing Shelby? That’s another huge step backwards if that’s their ‘thinking’? 

Bobby.Digital likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Vandy said:

We should have traded for Michael Bennett and/or invested in one of Richardson/Wilkerson in a one-year deal similar to what they received. Would not have hurt team locking up it’s younger players at all. Instead, we go stupid in tendering Ben garland for $3m, sign a SF mediocre OG for $4.5 M, and we’re reportedly chasing washed-up Danny woodhead before he retired. Smh 

Philly and Minny especially were already ahead of us before offseason, now they’re further ahead. 

The guard from SF isn't mediocre. Watch tape on him and you'll realize he's far superior to what we threw out there last year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now