• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Kayoh said:

he is also an NFL caliber athlete.

8' 8" broad jump - that is terrible

5.10 40 - yeah that is good

29" vert - meh

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/skyler-phillips?id=2559830

I dunno....could be good, could suck - very hard to tell when you play such lackluster competition.   I am not gonna hate on him too much but you could flip a coin as to whether he will even make an NFL roster.

Just now, g-dawg said:

8' 8" broad jump - that is terrible

5.10 40 - yeah that is good

29" vert - meh

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/skyler-phillips?id=2559830

I dunno....could be good, could suck - very hard to tell when you play such lackluster competition.   I am not gonna hate on him too much but you could flip a coin as to whether he will even make an NFL roster.

you're looking at those numbers without context. For a 6'6 295 lb OLineman those numbers would be terrible. Skyler Phillips is 6'3 318. For his size, those numbers are excellent.

Just now, Kayoh said:

you're looking at those numbers without context. For a 6'6 295 lb OLineman those numbers would be terrible. Skyler Phillips is 6'3 318. For his size, those numbers are excellent.

it is not as much the numbers as it is the competition - when you are - as you say - 6'3", 318lbs and you are blocking guys that weigh 230-250lbs and play for the likes of Utah State, Nevada, Northern Colorado, Montana, Portland State, UC Davis, Montana State, Weber State, Portland State, Sacramento State - you are gonna look like a bully.  The only two real teams that he played against in 2018 were Colorado and Oregon State.....show us some tape of what he did in those games.

1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

it is not as much the numbers as it is the competition - when you are - as you say - 6'3", 318lbs and you are blocking guys that weigh 230-250lbs and play for the likes of Utah State, Nevada, Northern Colorado, Montana, Portland State, UC Davis, Montana State, Weber State, Portland State, Sacramento State - you are gonna look like a bully.  The only two real teams that he played against in 2018 were Colorado and Oregon State.....show us some tape of what he did in those games.

you realize Mountain West is an FBS conference right? We aren't talking FCS or division 2 here.

OVERVIEW

Bengals coaches have fully utilized Phillips' versatility over the past five years, starting him at both guard and both tackle positions. The Eugene, Oregon native started all 12 games as a true freshman in 2013, lining up five times at left guard and seven times at right tackle. Phillips started 10 games as a sophomore, all at right guard. He played three spots for ISU as a junior, starting five games at the right guard spot, three at left tackle, and one at right tackle. Phillips lost most of the 2016 season due to injury after starting the first four games as the blind side tackle.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

His arms look like thighs. Has compact, powerful frame with booming power in upper body. Jolts opponents when greeting them with his hands. Relatively light on his feet. Handled pass pro duties at left tackle in 2016 and slides looked clean. Good lateral quickness with a smooth skip pull in his pocket. Tape is filled with players being knocked to the ground by his down blocks. Can press defenders out of his frame to gain separation. Flexible throughout lower body and keeps pad level low. Pass sets with good base, balance, and stance. Feels twist development and passes his man off with a strong snap while re-positioning to catch incoming twister. Has anchor to fight back against bull rushers. Was able to remake his body by dropping a substantial amount of baby fat from when he first came into the program.

WEAKNESSES

Hand placement is erratic. Gets forced into resetting hands too often during blocks. Allows defenders to draw first blood with shots into his frame. Squatty frame includes shorter arms. Balance is just average. Unable to consistently land and stick to his blocks. Wins early phases of run blocks but finishing is inconsistent. Narrow power zone creates tendency to fall off blocks after initial blow. Needs to play with better balance on work-up blocks to linebackers. Frequently matched against smaller, weaker opponents on his schedule. Missed final seven games of 2016 after suffering a concussion and teams will likely dig deeply into that.

DRAFT PROJECTION

Rounds 5-6

SOURCES TELL US

"I always feel like I'm watching a bouncer when I watch him. He's stronger than everyone around him and he can drop some of these guys with one shot. He's the enforcer out there for sure." - AFC East scout

NFL COMPARISON

Shaq Mason

BOTTOM LINE

One-and-done blocker with serious power to jolt defenders in his initial punch, but an inability to sustain blocks and ride them out. Phillips may be evaluated as a guard, but he might be better-suited as a center where his power and field awareness can stand out and his struggles with sustaining blocks may be minimized somewhat.

4 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

you realize there are probably less than 10 guys a year drafted out of that conference, right?

how are we talking about conference strength when Will Hernandez is unanimously considered to be a late 1st round pick, went to UTEP, and like I said, just a couple years ago we had Ali Marpet from friggin Hobart college, a D3 school, and he's been great in the NFL so far.

1 minute ago, Kayoh said:

how are we talking about conference strength when Will Hernandez is unanimously considered to be a late 1st round pick, went to UTEP, and like I said, just a couple years ago we had Ali Marpet from friggin Hobart college, a D3 school, and he's been great in the NFL so far.

Pretty good point if you think about it.  The NFL is littered with lots of these players.  

Just now, HASHBROWN3 said:

Pretty good point if you think about it.  The NFL is littered with lots of these players.  

right? And he's doing exactly what we hope for smaller school guys to do when we're scouting them for the NFL. He's absolutely dominating. Similar to what Marpet did at Hobart.

both of those guys are highly rated for a reason and your guy is not - why do you think that is?  also, UTEP plays better competition than Idaho State - not the SEC, ACC nor BIG 10 but much better than Idaho State schedule.

As to your video above and the NFL.com scouting report - clearly states he has a hard time staying on blocks - and then your video is just him pushing little guys to the ground.

Just now, g-dawg said:

both of those guys are highly rated for a reason and your guy is not - why do you think that is?  also, UTEP plays better competition than Idaho State - not the SEC, ACC nor BIG 10 but much better than Idaho State schedule.

As to your video above and the NFL.com scouting report - clearly states he has a hard time staying on blocks - and then your video is just him pushing little guys to the ground.

dude NFL.com's scouting reports are trash this year. They've got Christian Kirk listed as a 4th-5th round guy, they've got scrubs like Tim Settle, Deon Cain, and Jamarco Jones ranked above legitimate studs like P.J. Hall, Courtland Sutton, and Brian O'Neill. I have no clue who's doing the scouting reports for that site but my lord are they terrible this year.

48 minutes ago, Kayoh said:

I drafted this guy in the last Reddit mock draft in the 3rd round. He's gonna be awesome in the pros.

He’s definitely not a polished, finished product but I will say I like seeing him finish that last block through the ground. I like that nastiness. Probably needs some legit NFL position coaching to develop. 

dude NFL.com's scouting reports are trash this year. They've got Christian Kirk listed as a 4th-5th round guy, they've got scrubs like Tim Settle, Deon Cain, and Jamarco Jones ranked above legitimate studs like P.J. Hall, Courtland Sutton, and Brian O'Neill. I have no clue who's doing the scouting reports for that site but my lord are they terrible this year.

other than your 21 second video above - what tape have you seen on him Kayoh?  tell the truth.

The "Level of competition" argument is so tired. Every year... AND I MEAN EVERY YEAR,  it's used by fans to knock certain players who go on to be studs anyway. Mike Iupati played for Idaho against just as weak, if not weaker, competition and it didn't stop him from going 17 overall.

Edited by RubberDucky