Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shanep

So,how did we end up so freaking BROKE ??? (and give me the short version ,please)

137 posts in this topic

Yeah I've been wondering the same. Thought the Saints were one of the worst teams in the league when it comes to cap management but according to ESPN they're scheduling or have already met w Suh and that's after signing Brees. 

Knight of God and CaliFalcons like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, MoFalconsFan56 said:

Yeah I've been wondering the same. Thought the Saints were one of the worst teams in the league when it comes to cap management but according to ESPN they're scheduling or have already met w Suh and that's after signing Brees. 

Eagles, Panthers and Chiefs were all over the cap. They made it happen because they wanted to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

16 minutes ago, shanep said:

are we just now having past cap juggling and bad choices by the gm coming to roost?

Prepare for incoming posts from the "legend in their own mind" posters ridiculing you for asking.

nolove4thecrook likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Short version?

21-11, 2 playoffs in 2 seasons, and 1 super bowl appearance will do that to you. 

 

Eagles????

Lame-@$$ excuse

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, falcons007 said:

Eagles, Panthers and Chiefs were all over the cap. They made it happen because they wanted to. 

I know. I've always said if we want a guy bad enough we'll make it happen. I guess they don't think as highly of Suh as some of us do. At the end of the day I do trust management I just would like to see some questions answered

ATLSlobberKnockers likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the  reason dq and td are not interested in the fa market is the same reason most of us are not interested in a Porsche.,,they cant afford one

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, shanep said:

the  reason dq and td are not interested in the fa market is the same reason most of us are not interested in a Porsche.,,they cant afford one

Not true, they can afford. They aren’t interested.

THEHEADCOACH likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Short answer...in the last 2 years they've paid Mack, Trufant, Alford, Freeman, Sanu, Schraeder, Levitre.  Jake Matthews is on a fairly pricy 5th year option, in addition to already paying Ryan and Julio.

There are ways to manipulate the cap that we can and probably will use in the future, but those can also turn a long term contender into a team with a short window.  I think we're continuing to build for long term success and still have one of the most talented rosters in the league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should get tru off the books imo...give him another season, but he possibly didn’t deserve his second contract, and sure didn’t show it last season either. Can Alford and him swap contracts?

cyberlian likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s football. You pay guys to perform but sometimes you have quality dudes you draft and would rather pay them than overpay a free agent. It’s the game. This team builds through the draft. It’s okay it will be fine.

JJC28 and quickzero like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jpowers said:

For years and years and years I got to watch people talk about how good teams build through the draft and not free agency. Look at the Steelers, look at the Ravens, look at the Packers I was told.

 

 

Well........here you are and yet.......  

I’d rather pay Deion Jones than over pay Hgata.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jpowers said:

For years and years and years I got to watch people talk about how good teams build through the draft and not free agency. Look at the Steelers, look at the Ravens, look at the Packers I was told.

 

 

Well........here you are and yet.......  

YES, exactly.    Falcons brass want to keep as much of their core as possible.

I have iterated for last year that with Ryan’s new deal, Grady up for new deal, Matthews and then Beasley - with Keanu and Debo behind them - if you want to keep those guys, then you have to plan for it a few years in advance - and that is what we are doing.

Even in the winning years of 2008-2012, our overall roster - and especially the defense- was so devoid of players we had to pay top dollar - that Falcons could go into free agency and sign big ticket items.   

Well not anymore- we are budgeting NOW for our core drafted players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Jesus said:

I’d rather pay Deion Jones than over pay Hgata.

 

5 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

YES, exactly.    Falcons brass want to keep as much of their core as possible.

I have iterated for last year that with Ryan’s new deal, Grady up for new deal, Matthews and then Beasley - with Keanu and Debo behind them - if you want to keep those guys, then you have to plan for it a few years in advance - and that is what we are doing.

Even in the winning years of 2008-2012, our overall roster - and especially the defense- was so devoid of players we had to pay top dollar - that Falcons could go into free agency and sign big ticket items.   

Well not anymore- we are budgeting NOW for our core drafted players.

Eggggzactly!!!

 

This isn't hard to figure out in my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally accumulate talent and don't have bloated contracts and people are mad we don't have money. 

Look at the top ten cap hits for ATL, then look at the Saints, then look at the Panthers. Compare the quality of those top ten players. I'd take our top ten every day of the week. We also have levers to restructure players if we wanted to. If they were desperate, they could restructure Julio. But remember, for every restructure, there is still money to be paid. Take a look at Antonio Brown's cap hit next year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Vandy said:

Short version?

21-11, 2 playoffs in 2 seasons, and 1 super bowl appearance will do that to you. 

 

How is that even a rebuttal? Steelers are there, pats are there Seattle even, and they are never shy when it comes to deals and cap lol. Being good for two years in a row dont mean sheet Lmao 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites