Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HEIST

Why does this forum (TATF mostly) dislike Mo Hurst?

23 posts in this topic

Saw comments in Kayoh mock and was wondering.

** If you're scared off by the heart thing then I understand. We have no way of knowing about that but fair enough.

"He's not a NT"

I get that, but interior pass rushing far more valuable than run stuffers. If NT doesn't bring pass rushing table (Danny Shelton for ex) then far less interesting in R1. Hurst's first step is electric and he's way more refined than a guy like Bryan to me.

Kung Fu Kenny likes this

I'd like Hurst, but he would not fill the big tackle void that losing Poe would open. But I think if the Falcons could fill the other need, he could add a lot on the pass rush.

I like Hurst but with substitution packages, you only need one 3-down pass rushing DT who can be credible against the run. We have that guy in Jarrett. After that, you can platoon your run stuffer on early downs and kick in a big DE on passing plays. 

I like Hurst, but not being a doctor and/or seeing his exact medical records (which our team will have on him) my best guess is to say that he played at UM and if it is something similar to Star (as reported) that he should be fine. That being said, I think he is a 2nd rounder and Im not certain he would give us versatility along the DL as much as a guy like Rasheem Greene??? I would much rather see Jarrett move to 3T and we go after Payne, Vea, or Phillips....but that doesnt seem to be the case?

I think there were rumors in scouting circles he was about 275 during the season, so Im not sure how much weight he can carry? That said again, I stood next to him at the combine while DL was doing BP and he looked as stout as Phillips or BJ Hill, just not as tall, and if his first step is as quick as advertised, Id be okay drafting him at 26 if Vea and Payne are off the board...

My DT rankings in order:

Payne, Vea, Hurst, Phillips, Bryan, Hill, Shephard, Settle

Im not as high on Vea as many...theres just something I dont like...Im not sold he is as good at power and space eating as his size would lead one to believe, and his athleticsm is slightly overrated. Bryan has no prodcution and thats a red flag for me. I actually like Shephard a lot. Time Settle is a big no to me. I just see a "softy" with no movement skills.

Bottom line: DQ wants guys that play upfield and are attacking. That means Mo Hurst probably is in our Top 3 interior DL prospects.

48 minutes ago, Matt_The Iceman_Ryan said:

Im not as high on Vea as many.Im not sold he is as good at power and space eating as his size would lead one to believe, and his athleticsm is slightly overrated. Bryan has no prodcution and thats a red flag for me. I actually like Shephard a lot. Time Settle is a big no to me. I just see a "softy" with no movement skills.

Bottom line: DQ wants guys that play upfield and are attacking. That means Mo Hurst probably is in our Top 3 interior DL prospects.

Truth be told, I am not high on Vea either.  I watched him play twice this year (admittedly a small sample) and I saw a guy that relied on his brute strength to win matches.  He looked like he played too upright and did not give consistent effort.  

I see him as a run stuffer and nothing more.  

On 3/14/2018 at 4:31 PM, HEIST said:

Saw comments in Kayoh mock and was wondering.

** If you're scared off by the heart thing then I understand. We have no way of knowing about that but fair enough.

"He's not a NT"

I get that, but interior pass rushing far more valuable than run stuffers. If NT doesn't bring pass rushing table (Danny Shelton for ex) then far less interesting in R1. Hurst's first step is electric and he's way more refined than a guy like Bryan to me.

I like Hurst, I'm just not as high on him as Kayoh and others. To me Hurst has that occasional lightning first step but outside of that IMO Payne is more stout and a more well rounded player. While you're correct on Taven, he probably has the most intriguing upside. I like Taven's speed and power. I also like that his father is a Seal. Seal likely says something about Taven's mental toughness, ability to follow directions and attention to detail IMO. (I'm a Taven, Payne, Hurst guy)

9 hours ago, Knight of God said:

I don't really like any of them as much as most. Hurst is ok. I hope that heart thing i managed.

What do you think about Payne? I wanna like him but 1 TFL on the year scares me.

Just now, HEIST said:

What do you think about Payne? I wanna like him but 1 TFL on the year scares me.

I love him as a bama fan, I'm not high on ANY of them bruh.

22 hours ago, Smiler11 said:

He doesn't have positional versatility but he is by far the best interior rusher in this class. 

I am still looking for his impressive tape.

12 hours ago, Knight of God said:

I love him as a bama fan, I'm not high on ANY of them bruh.

Fair enough. Finding it hard to be super enamoured with any players in this draft outside of the tip top prospects.

7 minutes ago, HEIST said:

Fair enough. Finding it hard to be super enamoured with any players in this draft outside of the tip top prospects.

I mean, WR, RB, DB, maybe LB. The all look good. Thing is, you are right. There is a steep drop and then its all basically average.

3 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

I mean, WR, RB, DB, maybe LB. The all look good. Thing is, you are right. There is a steep drop and then its all basically average.

The only DB WR and LBs that I like will be either long gone by the time we pick in r1 or we won't pick them because our DL depth is so lacking <_<

Just now, HEIST said:

The only DB WR and LBs that I like will be either long gone by the time we pick in r1 or we won't pick them because our DL depth is so lacking <_<

Who do you like man?

8 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

Who do you like man?

Jaire Alexander, Mike Hughes, Carlton Davis, Derwin James, Roquan Smith, Tremaine Edmunds, DJ Moore

7 minutes ago, HEIST said:

Jaire Alexander, Mike Hughes, Carlton Davis, Derwin James, Roquan Smith, Tremaine Edmunds, DJ Moore

All but Smith and James could realistically make it by 26.

T Edmunds will likely get drafted ahead of R Smith.  

Hurst has the burst (sorry, couldn't resist) to really give our DL a nasty multi-pronged pass rush.  However, I have not heard of any updates on his cardiomyopathy (I assume that is his diagnosis).  For that reason, he can not be considered a draftable propect at this time.

I hope his repeat echo clears him.