Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FalconofShadows

Falcons to still possibly go for Siemian

112 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, FalconBlood said:

I mostly agree, but still, one game won and lost can mean playoffs or not, and if ryan gets a concussion or short term injury, having a backup can get us by to the playoffs when Ryan returns, etc.

I will still take that chance. Running backs and back up QB's should be on a minimum. I would never have paid Free. Those Money could be spent on a good RG or another DT, but that is just my point of view.

Get your running backs in the draft (3-7 round). Let them go when their contract expires. Use Money on O line and D line.

13 hours ago, k-train said:

Fair enough, but I think if you truly believe Schaub's "experience" would have any real impact on the field, you are truly living way in the past & must have missed a large chunk of his career. His fall from grace was not swift.

Honestly, so what if he was a Pro Bowler in 2012? That was probably the weakest stat line from a pro bowl QB ever... only 4008 yards, just 22 TDs w/ 12 INTs & a QB rating of just 90.7. Whoopty dooo!

The following season he set the NFL record for consecutive games throwing a pick-six... four games in a row... before he got benched. Houston happily traded him to Oakland. He has so bad there, he got benched right out the gate & they let him go after the season. Yes, he only threw 10 passes there... two of them were INTs, so you're d@maned right his noodle arm gets judged on that.

His "experience" didn't do much good the next year in Baltimore either. He started two game filling in for an injured Flacco. The game they won only happened because they blocked a last second FG attempt. Schaub had another pick-six in that game & threw an INT w/ about 50 seconds left in the game... which gave the Browns a chance to kick for the win. The following week, he had two more INTs, including yet another pick-six. He was benched in favor of Jimmy Freaking Clausen.

He has been total trash any time he's been called on to play in a meaningful game since the end of the 2012 season.

More importantly, it's 2018 & the dude has not been even remotely close to even that slightly above average performance ability in over half a decade. All the experience in the world from a decade ago doesn't mean squat if you can't throw the ball because your arm is spent & you haven't seen a starting caliber defense in several years.

We could & should look for something much better, and it doesn't take much considering what very little Schaub offers these days. He's like the Sam Baker of QBs.

I can't argue with you too much there, especially with his late career Int ratio. Like I said, the dude that's fine if Matt goes down isn't on the roster now, or... probably even if Siemian is acquired. Backup QB isn't a glamorous position, nor one many teams can afford to throw money at to acquire one they're really confident in should their starter go down. With that, we can agree.... they should look for someone much better. We'll see how it shakes out.

k-train likes this

16 hours ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Unfortunately, the cap savings would be all that great if we swapped Siemian for Schaub. 

A little over $1m gained. 

I consider that a significant number. I guess it is a matter of perspective. When trying to sign FAs there is a ton of difference between 2.1M a year and 2.7M a year on the offer sheet...so I think 1M is usable cap space. Just my take. 

15 hours ago, Knight of God said:

We're discussing Siemian and Dickson. Meanwhile the Jaguars just landed Norwell.

And their QB is still Blake Bortles...

2 hours ago, falcndave said:

I consider that a significant number. I guess it is a matter of perspective. When trying to sign FAs there is a ton of difference between 2.1M a year and 2.7M a year on the offer sheet...so I think 1M is usable cap space. Just my take. 

Sure, all things equal, having $1m is better than having $0m. I'm just saying if you'd hope to pick up $2m+ when dropping a veteran backup 15 years into his career for a guy on the last year of his rookie deal. 

19 hours ago, wurzshep19 said:

I'm ok with this if it happens....time to move on from Shaub and we are dead in the water if MR2 goes down anyway.   Unfortunately the Jets may be willing to give more...since they just have more to give.  

Theyre going w Bridgewater. 1 yr deal.

wurzshep19 likes this

14 hours ago, Malachore said:

They were just in the AFCCG....

But their path to playing in a conference championship game has been a heck of a lot different than ours. Their entire team building progression has been different. 

Our closest analogue in the league is the Steelers. 

3 hours ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

But their path to playing in a conference championship game has been a heck of a lot different than ours. Their entire team building progression has been different. 

Our closest analogue in the league is the Steelers. 

Steelers are more 2011-12 falcons IMO

falcons remind me more of those good Peyton Manning lead colts teams in the 2000’s...

3 hours ago, k-train said:

Per Ian Rapoport:

The #Vikings are finalizing a trade for #Broncos QB Trevor Siemian, source said.

Good.

6 hours ago, Vandy said:

Steelers are more 2011-12 falcons IMO

falcons remind me more of those good Peyton Manning lead colts teams in the 2000’s...

I think that's a fair comparison

9 hours ago, Knight of God said:

Who got them to the playoffs 

Their defense got them to the playoffs. Point is I would rather be the team with Matt Ryan than the team “making moves” Bc they a little extra cap room from paying Bortles less 

5 minutes ago, NeonDeion said:

Their defense got them to the playoffs. Point is I would rather be the team with Matt Ryan than the team “making moves” Bc they a little extra cap room from paying Bortles less 

Yes, their defense and Bortles was the QB whether we like it or not. Here is where you guys don't seem to get it though. They are a RUN and DEFENSIVE team. Getting NORWELL actually helps the RUN GAME. They aren't based on the pass. LOL! We are based on the pass and are talking about a TE that can't catch a cold and a QB that thankfully won't be coming here. Because based on the fact we are nothing without the QB, we'd be in a mess of bad shape. While if Bortles go down, the Jags could still get to the playoffs. I would prefer their overall set up. I'm not a fan of pass first teams.

1 minute ago, Knight of God said:

Yes, their defense and Bortles was the QB whether we like it or not. Here is where you guys don't seem to get it though. They are a RUN and DEFENSIVE team. Getting NORWELL actually helps the RUN GAME. They aren't based on the pass. LOL! We are based on the pass and are talking about a TE that can't catch a cold and a QB that thankfully won't be coming here. Because based on the fact we are nothing without the QB, we'd be in a mess of bad shape. While if Bortles go down, the Jags could still get to the playoffs. I would prefer their overall set up. I'm not a fan of pass first teams.

Oh I like how they are building their team. I just like our set up better. We still have a sick running tandem too. We need a better RG. That’s it 

6 minutes ago, NeonDeion said:

Oh I like how they are building their team. I just like our set up better. We still have a sick running tandem too. We need a better RG. That’s it 

Well, they got a better OG and have a moster run game. Ours is super dependent. We need a better OG. They did it with a lesser OG than Norwell and now they have him. 

4 minutes ago, MayorWest13 said:

Who's defense carried him to the playoffs. That defense is insane. 

Defense and run game. They have one of the best DL's, and secondaries. Our corners are getting old and FS is more a fan fave than anything. I don't know. They are an excited fanbase. We are looking at DT in a DT poor draft and FA. They are looking for a MLB in a LB rich draft. 

36 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

Well, they got a better OG and have a moster run game. Ours is super dependent. We need a better OG. They did it with a lesser OG than Norwell and now they have him. 

Defense and run game. They have one of the best DL's, and secondaries. Our corners are getting old and FS is more a fan fave than anything. I don't know. They are an excited fanbase. We are looking at DT in a DT poor draft and FA. They are looking for a MLB in a LB rich draft. 

Our corners are getting old?? Arnt they like 27??

1 minute ago, falconsd56 said:

Our corners are getting old?? Arnt they like 27??

Alford is turning 30 this year. Dez is turning 28. I said getting old. They were never world beaters to begin with, now age. 

2 hours ago, Knight of God said:

They paid Norwell A LOT of money. And FA DT is super deep, just expensive 

Just now, NeonDeion said:

They paid Norwell A LOT of money. And FA DT is super deep, just expensive 

FA DT has almost no one right now man. When was the last time you looked? 

26 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

FA DT has almost no one right now man. When was the last time you looked? 

Well it started out super deep and it still has Richardson, Poe, and Suh available and DT draft isn’t crazy deep but it isn’t shallow either