Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FalconofShadows

Falcons to still possibly go for Siemian

112 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Knight of God said:

We're discussing Siemian and Dickson. Meanwhile the Jaguars just landed Norwell.

I mean.....they've spent a decade in the wilderness, drafted sooooooooo many dudes in the Top 10, spent sooooooo much money on FA.

IDK, they arent really in the same situation that we are. Not really an apples to apples thing. 

1 hour ago, Atlantafan21 said:

If it’s a 7th round pick, that player probably wouldn’t play anyway, or even make the team. Siemien would at least be decent insurance.

Might be able to use the pick for ammunition to trade up though for a player that slides 

NFC teams stocking up and we're sitting on our hands. Huge slap in the face to the fans for the FO to think all of out holes can be plugged in the draft. 

They had a nice formula 2016 offseason by grabbing vets. 2017 offseason got cute and it showed. 

THEHEADCOACH likes this

8 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

I mean.....they've spent a decade in the wilderness, drafted sooooooooo many dudes in the Top 10, spent sooooooo much money on FA.

IDK, they arent really in the same situation that we are. Not really an apples to apples thing. 

I was talking about the Guard. Not the Jags. 

5 minutes ago, stizz said:

NFC teams stocking up and we're sitting on our hands. Huge slap in the face to the fans for the FO to think all of out holes can be plugged in the draft. 

They had a nice formula 2016 offseason by grabbing vets. 2017 offseason got cute and it showed. 

I was betting on TD being a cap genius.

1 minute ago, Knight of God said:

I was talking about the Guard. Not the Jags. 

Gonna have to draft one of those OG beasts you're looking at, I think. 

I'm more concerned about the DL....a lot of nice young pieces are on the market but we don't have an awful lot of dollars to play with. 

Just now, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Gonna have to draft one of those OG beasts you're looking at, I think. 

I'm more concerned about the DL....a lot of nice young pieces are on the market but we don't have an awful lot of dollars to play with. 

The ones I like? We won't get them. LOL!!! I prefer DL, but I don't actually LOVE any of them.

10 minutes ago, stizz said:

everybody panic we are not spending the money we dont have on overpriced free agents. 

k-train likes this

9 minutes ago, InBrotherhoodWeRise said:

everybody panic we are not spending the money we dont have on overpriced free agents. 

Eagles and Saints don't have the money either and yet they're still shopping. How many years do we need to be double digits in millions under the cap without spending it? WIN NOW.

Just now, stizz said:

Eagles and Saints don't have the money either and yet they're still shopping. How many years do we need to be double digits in millions under the cap without spending it? WIN NOW.

I stopped saying it. There are several teams without money making moves. Also, I find it fascinating TD is a cap whizz. 

THEHEADCOACH and RING OF HONOR like this

5 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

I stopped saying it. There are several teams without money making moves. Also, I find it fascinating TD is a cap whizz. 

Truly a slap in our face that these guys think all our needs can be filled from a draft. Imagine if we even had an adequate offseason last year -- we probably would have been right back in the Super Bowl. Instead, we easily had the worst draft in the division and had home run free agent signings like Derrick Coleman and Hugh Thornton.

13 minutes ago, stizz said:

Truly a slap in our face that these guys think all our needs can be filled from a draft. Imagine if we even had an adequate offseason last year -- we probably would have been right back in the Super Bowl. Instead, we easily had the worst draft in the division and had home run free agent signings like Derrick Coleman and Hugh Thornton.

Yep! Lost the Superbowl and had a draft and FA like WTH.

The Eagles are still spending but they need to be under the cap Thursday...you are fooling yourself if you don’t think cuts are coming. We will be active in the second wave....big $ for mediocre players is not our gig. 

Geaux_Falcons and k-train like this

1 minute ago, wurzshep19 said:

The Eagles are still spending but they need to be under the cap Thursday...you are fooling yourself if you don’t think cuts are coming. We will be active in the second wave....big $ for mediocre players is not our gig. 

Neither is winning the Superbowl.

THEHEADCOACH and Malachore like this

1 hour ago, rcky_mtn_falcon said:

We could just as easily sign Tom Savage as an UFA to a 2 year contract to be the backup. If either one of them ever see the field it will be the same result.

He would cost more though in a contract being a free agent and not on a rookie deal anymore.

1 hour ago, k-train said:

You're seriously gonna hold on hope for something he did literally over half a decade ago?:huh:

More recently than having success w/ the Texans, he looked like complete azz w/ them. His arm was spent, so they sent him packing. He went to Oakland for a year & looked awful there, too. Then to the Ravens for a season where the trend continued & he was swiftly shown the door. He seriously looked like it took everything he had just to get the ball 15 yards down field... and that was several years ago. His arm was toast then, he's even older now & hasn't thrown a pass in like 3 seasons... but that's the dude you think is fine if Ryan goes down?

He was only here to act as a coach on the bench because he knew Shanny's system so well. Shanny is long gone, and thus Schaub has absolutely zero value anymore.

It's not 2011 anymore, man. Schaub is done.

C'mon man...never said I was fine with him if Ryan goes down, only that if he did I'd rather have Shaub's experience.The dude that's fine if MR goes down isn't on the roster now and probably won't be if Siemian is acquired either. Just about every team is usually screwed if their starter goes down. So, I'm certainly not saying Shaub is a winning starter. Shaub was a Pro Bowler in 2012 and has been a backup since 2014. You can't judge him in Oakland...he was a backup In Oakland in 2014 and threw a grand total of 10 passes! And since then he's been a back up. I just like his experience, not saying he's the ultimate backup QB.

Backup, who would I actually like...Foles if traded, but even if traded that ain't happening.

2 hours ago, mashburn*Fibonacci said:

You probably think Bradshaw is amazing. And failed to realize he had to get bailed out by his backup. 

I'm not making a case for a backup. I'm just saying it happens a lot more than counting on one hand. And has happened to team who have multiple rings. 

The circumstances you're describing are different from what the '18 Eagles, '90 Giants, '87 Redskins, and to a lesser extent '72 Dolphins (because he started most of the season) did. 

I know there has been more than a handful of times in which a QB filled in for an injured starter and performed admirably. Caleb Hanie vs Green Bay in the 2011 NFC Championship Game. Matt Flynn vs Detroit in the 2011 regular season finale threw 6 TDs. Frank Reich vs Houston Oilers in that amazing 35-point come-from-behind win. However, those were just single games, not the majority of a season or an entire playoff campaign.

Nevertheless, when measured against the entirety of NFL history (at least in the Super Bowl era), it rarely happens, much less in the playoffs. If the starter is out for multiple games, that means opponents have an opportunity to install a game plan for the back-up. That usually doesn't work out favorably for the back-up, especially in the playoffs.

When it has happened, it was the perfect storm of brilliant coaching (more so on offense than defense) and a QB good enough to make the throws and reads necessary to execute the gameplan. Doug Pederson, Joe Gibbs, Bill Parcells, and Don Shula are all known for being able to extract the most out of their offense. All except for Pederson have won the Super Bowl with two different starting QBs and Joe Gibbs is the only one to win it with 3 different starting QBs (Joe Theisman, Doug Williams, and Mark Rypien).

33 minutes ago, gp_74 said:

C'mon man...never said I was fine with him if Ryan goes down, only that if he did I'd rather have Shaub's experience.The dude that's fine if MR goes down isn't on the roster now and probably won't be if Siemian is acquired either. Just about every team is usually screwed if their starter goes down. So, I'm certainly not saying Shaub is a winning starter. Shaub was a Pro Bowler in 2012 and has been a backup since 2014. You can't judge him in Oakland...he was a backup In Oakland in 2014 and threw a grand total of 10 passes! And since then he's been a back up. I just like his experience, not saying he's the ultimate backup QB.

Fair enough, but I think if you truly believe Schaub's "experience" would have any real impact on the field, you are truly living way in the past & must have missed a large chunk of his career. His fall from grace was not swift.

Honestly, so what if he was a Pro Bowler in 2012? That was probably the weakest stat line from a pro bowl QB ever... only 4008 yards, just 22 TDs w/ 12 INTs & a QB rating of just 90.7. Whoopty dooo!

The following season he set the NFL record for consecutive games throwing a pick-six... four games in a row... before he got benched. Houston happily traded him to Oakland. He has so bad there, he got benched right out the gate & they let him go after the season. Yes, he only threw 10 passes there... two of them were INTs, so you're d@maned right his noodle arm gets judged on that.

His "experience" didn't do much good the next year in Baltimore either. He started two game filling in for an injured Flacco. The game they won only happened because they blocked a last second FG attempt. Schaub had another pick-six in that game & threw an INT w/ about 50 seconds left in the game... which gave the Browns a chance to kick for the win. The following week, he had two more INTs, including yet another pick-six. He was benched in favor of Jimmy Freaking Clausen.

He has been total trash any time he's been called on to play in a meaningful game since the end of the 2012 season.

More importantly, it's 2018 & the dude has not been even remotely close to even that slightly above average performance ability in over half a decade. All the experience in the world from a decade ago doesn't mean squat if you can't throw the ball because your arm is spent & you haven't seen a starting caliber defense in several years.

We could & should look for something much better, and it doesn't take much considering what very little Schaub offers these days. He's like the Sam Baker of QBs.

1 hour ago, stizz said:

And Dontari Poe...don’t conveniently forget that one...

In regard to schaub, his value was teaching Ryan the system and trying to teach a Sark the system. He has no value anymore, hence him potentially being cut.

I think Schaub has more pick sixes than completions in his past 10 nfl throws lol.

2 hours ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

They were just in the AFCCG....

Here's my thoughts, and PLEASE SHARE IT FALCONS FANS, it is quite simple and REAL and straight to the POINT! SO LOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Atlanta Falcons without Matt Ryan at this point in time have NO HOPE!!!! So if Matt Ryan goes down for the season or important games then IT IS OVER FOR THE SEASON FOR THE FALCONS!

So why carry a 2nd QB like Shuab, or any other QB on the ROSTER for that matter, free those spots up and sign some players that can actually help the team. 

If Matt Ryan were to go down for the season, then let Mohamed Sanu be QB for the rest of the season. Shaub is just getting a paycheck and there really is no better option than Matt Ryan so if he goes down, Mohamed Sanu honesty could carry the team in a backup situation in my opinion. 

That throw Mohamed Sanu made to Julio, even with a bad start to him with the ball he handled like a Pro QB. 

So Falcons powers that be, skip the 2nd and 3rd string QB option and let the backup option be Mohamed Sanu. Because in all seriousness, seasons over without Matt Ryan at the helm either way. 

And as for the future. Falcons should BE ALL IN ON WINNING this season considering the superbowl is at the new home field stadium for the Falcons. 

Making Mohamed Sanu WR/2nd String QB would make WR's accountable and use more of his talents from time to time giving Matt Ryan a few breaks here and there, especially if the Falcons put Mohamed Sanu in there from time to time just to confuse the heck out of the other teams at times. It could create some serious interest for the fans and some serious gains for the Falcons if they played that scenario out right. 

We shall see what happens. Those are my thoughts. Falcons don't need to start GROOMING a new QB at this point in time, and while I know teams pull that BS for contract reasons and such. 

2 more spots on the D-line instead of Useless QB's on the 53 man roster would be a lot more help than two QB's who will never see the light of day on the bench. 

Just my opinions.............. 

GO FALCONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think it's pretty funny that I've read multiple times in this thread that people wouldn't want to trust our backup QB to a 7th round pick and want to trade it for Siemian...who was a 7th round pick.