Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FalconofShadows

Falcons to still possibly go for Siemian

112 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

 

Honestly, the only reason to do it would be the potential for a compensatory pick in 2020 after he walks next offseason. So him being a UFA actually makes it more appealing. 

But I agree with you. I'd rather try to develop a young backup for a rookie contract. 

Yall talking about development...im talking about having someone on the roster with some NFL experience in case Matt goes down...yall have gotten too comfortable with Matts Toughness.  But sh!t happens...and Im not ready to throw the season away if he goes down

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RING OF HONOR said:

Yall talking about development...im talking about having someone on the roster with some NFL experience in case Matt goes down...yall have gotten too comfortable with Matts Toughness.  But sh!t happens...and Im not ready to throw the season away if he goes down

Development doesn't work quite the way it sounds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RING OF HONOR said:

Yall talking about development...im talking about having someone on the roster with some NFL experience in case Matt goes down...yall have gotten too comfortable with Matts Toughness.  But sh!t happens...and Im not ready to throw the season away if he goes down

Agreed.  I honestly think we should do BOTH.  Get someone like Siemian (who I think would be a good option) and draft a young guy to develop.  It shouldn't be an either or.  It should be both.

Marco102 and RING OF HONOR like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, RING OF HONOR said:

It makes perfect sense...if Matt goes down...you want to just sacrifice the entire season...we need someone with at least some experience

 

That's why I'd rather have Shaub. He's got the most experience and as a starter with the Texans he did have some success.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, RING OF HONOR said:

NFL used to be a 1 running back league...then it went to 2 backs...same with qb's now...if you are a contender you cant trust your season to a 7th round pick or an undrafted qb... #EAGLES

I Have no problem with Siemian

No it's not. You can count on one hand how many times a team won the Super Bowl with a back-up QB, and most of them happened prior to 1990 when Jeff Hostetler started and won the Super Bowl with the NY Giants in place of Phil Simms. What the Eagles accomplished hasn't been done in 28 years, and Foles was a starter for a while (who owns the third highest single season passer rating in NFL history) with an overall winning record. 

Don't think this is some kind of new norm. Unless the backup happens to be better than the starter (e.g. Tom Brady), it'll probably be another 30 years before something like that happens again.

TheFatboi likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Ryan wants 30 million. He gets no backup. If Ryan goes down, that's on the falcons for paying someone almost 20% of cap space. You just don't do that. Before this season most people got was 10% for being the star player. Even when running backs were the star

We are not sitting in a position to be shoreing up our most expensive position. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JerseyNo12 said:

No it's not. You can count on one hand how many times a team won the Super Bowl with a back-up QB, and most of them happened prior to 1990 when Jeff Hostetler started and won the Super Bowl with the NY Giants in place of Phil Simms. What the Eagles accomplished hasn't been done in 28 years, and Foles was a starter for a while (who owns the third highest single season passer rating in NFL history) with an overall winning record. 

Don't think this is some kind of new norm. Unless the backup happens to be better than the starter (e.g. Tom Brady), it'll probably be another 30 years before something like that happens again.

You probably think Bradshaw is amazing. And failed to realize he had to get bailed out by his backup. 

 

I'm not making a case for a backup. I'm just saying it happens a lot more than counting on one hand. And has happened to team who have multiple rings. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mashburn*Fibonacci said:

If Ryan wants 30 million. He gets no backup. If Ryan goes down, that's on the falcons for paying someone almost 20% of cap space. You just don't do that. Before this season most people got was 10% for being the star player. Even when running backs were the star

We are not sitting in a position to be shoreing up our most expensive position. 

Ryan gonna get paid regardless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Knight of God said:

This is the only stat I care about with this guy. 12 TD's/14 INTs

Im not exactly saying I want Simien...I just dint want to trust the season to a a 7th round or undrafted qb....I dont care about how many times a back up has had to carry the team...the fact is it can happen...why not cover yourself

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, RING OF HONOR said:

Yall talking about development...im talking about having someone on the roster with some NFL experience in case Matt goes down...yall have gotten too comfortable with Matts Toughness.  But sh!t happens...and Im not ready to throw the season away if he goes down

Well whether you're ready to throw the season away or not, chances are, that's whats going to happen if Matt gets hurt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

Only 1.5mil savings from cutting Schaub unfortunately 

-The Falcons would save $3.25 million if they released Schaub

-Siemian's base salary on his rookie deal is $1.905 million

 

So we'd save $1.345 million and get younger at the position.  Whether we get better is debateable, but I personally feel like Siemian is a slightly better backup option than Schaub, at this point in their careers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, RING OF HONOR said:

Im not exactly saying I want Simien...I just dint want to trust the season to a a 7th round or undrafted qb....I dont care about how many times a back up has had to carry the team...the fact is it can happen...why not cover yourself

I understand, but you don't wear plastic to a gun fight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

I understand, but you don't wear plastic to a gun fight. 

Isnt that essentially whats happening if you go into the season with an unproven back Up

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RING OF HONOR said:

Isnt that essentially whats happening if you go into the season with an unproven back Up

 

I would hate that just the same. Yo see, there would be absolutely NO difference. Pick your poison.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Comparative analysis

Trevor Siemian, 24 career starts (2016-2017):
59.3% completion percentage
6.8 yards per attempt
30 TDs
24 INTs
4 fumbles lost


Matt Schaub, past 26 career starts (2013-2015*):
63.2% completion percentage
7 yards per attempt
35 TDs
30 INTs
1 fumble lost


*Schaub has only thrown 3 passes since 2015, going 33.3% for 5.3 YPA and no turnovers

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Knight of God said:

I would hate that just the same. Yo see, there would be absolutely NO difference. Pick your poison.

2016-09-27-12-45-10-823347066.jpeg.53a2a2888925cfe87b2091bde2c42ad4.jpeg

I want to win.....I JUST WANT TO D@MN WIN....WITH NO EXCUSES....IM SORRY YALL....CRYING NOW

:ninja:

Knight of God likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FalconOdense said:

Hate spending anything on a backup qb. Take a undrafted qb and cross your fingers Ryan wont get hurt.

Use the savings on a better guard.

I mostly agree, but still, one game won and lost can mean playoffs or not, and if ryan gets a concussion or short term injury, having a backup can get us by to the playoffs when Ryan returns, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rcky_mtn_falcon said:

We could just as easily sign Tom Savage as an UFA to a 2 year contract to be the backup. If either one of them ever see the field it will be the same result.

I get it...but the same thing was said about Foles...season over...except it wasnt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, RING OF HONOR said:

I get it...but the same thing was said about Foles...season over...except it wasnt

Should have been over when they played us, but the Falcons had to go and Falcon it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Unfortunately, the cap savings would be all that great if we swapped Siemian for Schaub. 

A little over $1m gained. 

So that ends this discussion....lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, gp_74 said:

That's why I'd rather have Shaub. He's got the most experience and as a starter with the Texans he did have some success.

You're seriously gonna hold on hope for something he did literally over half a decade ago?:huh:

More recently than having success w/ the Texans, he looked like complete azz w/ them. His arm was spent, so they sent him packing. He went to Oakland for a year & looked awful there, too. Then to the Ravens for a season where the trend continued & he was swiftly shown the door. He seriously looked like it took everything he had just to get the ball 15 yards down field... and that was several years ago. His arm was toast then, he's even older now & hasn't thrown a pass in like 3 seasons... but that's the dude you think is fine if Ryan goes down?

He was only here to act as a coach on the bench because he knew Shanny's system so well. Shanny is long gone, and thus Schaub has absolutely zero value anymore.

It's not 2011 anymore, man. Schaub is done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites