FalconofShadows

Falcons to still possibly go for Siemian

112 posts in this topic

We got the last pick in the 7th round through comp picks... so why not trade the first of our two 7th rounders for a younger backup QB?   I think this makes sense. 

Just now, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Unfortunately, the cap savings would be all that great if we swapped Siemian for Schaub. 

A little over $1m gained. 

Siemian may not be a good QB, but he is better than Schaub as a backup though.

RING OF HONOR likes this

Posted (edited)

Just now, Falcanuck said:

Cutting Schaub and adding Siemien would actually increase our 2018 cap hit

Not a cap whiz, if thats the case that would not be good.

Edited by Hingle McCringleberry

I'm ok with this if it happens....time to move on from Shaub and we are dead in the water if MR2 goes down anyway.   Unfortunately the Jets may be willing to give more...since they just have more to give.  

2 minutes ago, Hingle McCringleberry said:

Not a cap whiz, if thats the case that would not be good.

Only 1.5mil savings from cutting Schaub unfortunately 

NFL used to be a 1 running back league...then it went to 2 backs...same with qb's now...if you are a contender you cant trust your season to a 7th round pick or an undrafted qb... #EAGLES

I Have no problem with Siemian

It wouldn't even make sense. He's been in the league 3 years, this year will be his 4th. That would make him an UFA next year.

Let's just draft a backup QB that we'll have control over for 4 years, and try to develop him to the point that he can be traded for assets.

2 minutes ago, RING OF HONOR said:

NFL used to be a 1 running back league...then it went to 2 backs...same with qb's now...if you are a contender you cant trust your season to a 7th round pick or an undrafted qb... #EAGLES

I Have no problem with Siemian

Screw the 7th round pick or UDFA QB, there are 3 or 4 that can be had in the 3rd - 5th round range. It's time we actually use some draft stock on that position.

RING OF HONOR likes this

2 minutes ago, rcky_mtn_falcon said:

It wouldn't even make sense. He's been in the league 3 years, this year will be his 4th. That would make him an UFA next year.

Let's just draft a backup QB that we'll have control over for 4 years, and try to develop him to the point that he can be traded for assets.

It makes perfect sense...if Matt goes down...you want to just sacrifice the entire season...we need someone with at least some experience

roguebeaver likes this

15 minutes ago, Dem Birds said:

If we aren't going to be active in free agency, I'd rather not give up draft picks for guys that aren't going to see the field. 

If it’s a 7th round pick, that player probably wouldn’t play anyway, or even make the team. Siemien would at least be decent insurance.

Just now, RING OF HONOR said:

It makes perfect sense...if Matt goes down...you want to just sacrifice the entire season...we need someone with at least some experience

Yeah ok, to me this would be the same as when we wasted draft assets for TJ Yates. If that guy ever saw the field our season was over anyway.

mashburn*Fibonacci likes this

3 minutes ago, Atlantafan21 said:

If it’s a 7th round pick, that player probably wouldn’t play anyway, or even make the team. Siemien would at least be decent insurance.

Exactly..

mashburn*Fibonacci likes this

13 minutes ago, rcky_mtn_falcon said:

Honestly, the only reason to do it would be the potential for a compensatory pick in 2020 after he walks next offseason. So him being a UFA actually makes it more appealing. 

But I agree with you. I'd rather try to develop a young backup for a rookie contract. 

2 minutes ago, rcky_mtn_falcon said:

Yeah ok, to me this would be the same as when we wasted draft assets for TJ Yates. If that guy ever saw the field our season was over anyway.

No its not...during that time...Yates had about as many playoff wins as Ryan...

Ok....Im done....yall win

59 minutes ago, FalconOdense said:

Hate spending anything on a backup qb. Take a undrafted qb and cross your fingers Ryan wont get hurt.

Use the savings on a better guard.

Really, after this season w the eagles we should want a good backup. This would be a good move. Spend Schaubs cap space on help elsewhere and give up a player destined for PS.

and if he walks and gets a good contract, we get a pick better than the 7th we have. Seems like a steal to me.