Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ChickenBiscuit

Brees re-ups with Saints 2 years 48 million

41 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, etherdome said:

There are limits to that.  Matt Ryan needs a strong supporting cast to win a championship.  He is not mobile and he certainly does not have a rocket launcher for an arm.  He is a very good QB, but he can not carry an offense like Brady or Rodgers.    

If Matt Ryan gets a deal worth $30M/year, he will cripple this team, and he will be surrounded by a bunch of young or middling talent.  

QB's are different.  They have business opportunities that most other players don't.  Blank should have enough business connections to set the Ryan family up for three generations here in Atlanta.  Matt should sign a team friendly, long term deal.  

He needs to take a page from Brady's and Bree's books.  That is the only way he will win a championship.          

Like Rodgers got carried by his team to SB win. Funny how facts don't matter. Ryan being let down by coaches after one of the best SB QBR. 

Godzilla1985 likes this

2 hours ago, etherdome said:

There are limits to that.  Matt Ryan needs a strong supporting cast to win a championship.  He is not mobile and he certainly does not have a rocket launcher for an arm.  He is a very good QB, but he can not carry an offense like Brady or Rodgers.    

If Matt Ryan gets a deal worth $30M/year, he will cripple this team, and he will be surrounded by a bunch of young or middling talent.  

QB's are different.  They have business opportunities that most other players don't.  Blank should have enough business connections to set the Ryan family up for three generations here in Atlanta.  Matt should sign a team friendly, long term deal.  

He needs to take a page from Brady's and Bree's books.  That is the only way he will win a championship.          

I agree 100%. This is something I've brought up on this forum many times yet people kept bashing me about it like what I was saying was totally dumb. To me this is absolute common sense. That supporting cast Matt Ryan always needed throughout the years are running backs and receivers such as Michael Turner, Tony Gonzalez, Roddy White, Julio Jones, Mohammad Sanu, Taylor Gabriel, Devonta Freeman, and Tevin Coleman. Anyone could argue that the Falcons have had the most talented running back or receiver duo/trio in the past decade. Which means those highly talented running backs and receivers must also get paid much higher than thoes average ones across the league. Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, etc. didn't need top tier receivers to win a Super Bowl. The Eagles who just won the Super Bowl were down to their backup running backs and had underrated receivers and Nick Foles still got it done somehow someway. I'm not putting down Matt Ryan, he was the MVP, but like you said he's always needed close to the most talented receiver or running back combination in the league to be good. Now I will admit Matt Ryan never had the best O-line throughout his career or the best defenses to help him out especially before 2016, but we still can't use that as an excuse all the time. So many other elite QB's have done better with defenses much worse or a suspect O-line as well. 

8 hours ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

I hope this isn't true. If he signs, I hope he cripples them, not a little team friendly deal like this.

Every year we keep hoping the saints get crippled by the salary cap, and it never happens. They seem to know how to get creative with the cap. 

Iron Saint likes this

11 minutes ago, sdogg said:

Every year we keep hoping the saints get crippled by the salary cap, and it never happens. They seem to know how to get creative with the cap. 

They had a couple of bad years a few years ago and with them going all out to win at the end of Brees' career and kicking the can down the road, they are going to have a rough time resigning players like Thomas, Kamara and Lattimore in a few years.

1 hour ago, falconut1991 said:

I can't find this on the main websites.  Did he definitely re-sign or is this just a rumor?

NBC has an article about it. Not done yet but getting close on a 2 year deal.

Report: Saints, Drew Brees progressing toward two-year deal

Drew Brees was at the Saints’ facility on Monday for tackle Zach Strief’s retirement press conference and that gave him the opportunity to spend a little time talking about a new contract as well.

That conversation appears to have gone well. Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that Brees and the Saints have made “significant progress” toward a two-year deal that would keep Brees in New Orleans. Rapoport adds that the “belief” is that the deal will get to the finish line on Tuesday.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/13/report-saints-drew-brees-progressing-toward-two-year-deal/

3 hours ago, Smiler11 said:

Does that re-set the market for Matt Ryan? Tom Condon is the agent for both.

Ummm, no. Brees is in the twilight of his career and Matt Ryan is still in his prime. 

4 hours ago, etherdome said:

At some point, the NFL is going to have to make exceptions for QB's.  Their value/contracts are so high that their salaries may have to be excluded from cap calculation.  

Oh my God this would make the NFL so much more fun. 

4 hours ago, falcons007 said:

Like Rodgers got carried by his team to SB win. Funny how facts don't matter. Ryan being let down by coaches after one of the best SB QBR. 

"Carried" is being VERY disingenuous. He had one bad NFCCG, but the rest of his playoff games -- including his super bowl performance -- were very good.

12 minutes ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

"Carried" is being VERY disingenuous. He had one bad NFCCG, but the rest of his playoff games -- including his super bowl performance -- were very good.

No NFCG win no SB. Can’t have bad games in playoffs unless your team can carry you. Defense was big part of SB win, clay Mathews fumble turned the game, gave the field position for go ahead TD instead of game winning FG for Steelers.

Just now, falcons007 said:

No NFCG win no SB. Can’t have bad games in playoffs unless your team can carry you. Defense was big part of SB win, clay Mathews fumble turned the game, gave the field position for go ahead TD instead of game winning FG for Steelers.

He made a huge contribution, and they did too. There's a difference between "carrying" and "making a contribution large enough to overcome deficiencies at the WR position.

7 minutes ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

He made a huge contribution, and they did too. There's a difference between "carrying" and "making a contribution large enough to overcome deficiencies at the WR position.

Dude, Aaron Rodgers never had a good NFCG in his career. That’s not carrying his team to SB ring. He should thank his defense and BJ Raji for that one SB ring. That GB defense carried the team to championship after Rodgers laid an egg as usual in all the NFCG in his career. 

He is 0-36 trailing by atleast one point in 4th quarter against winning teams. Aaron Rodgers and carrying his team is myth.

3 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Dude, Aaron Rodgers never had a good NFCG in his career. That’s not carrying his team to SB ring. He should thank his defense and BJ Raji for that one SB ring. That GB defense carried the team to championship after Rodgers laid an egg as usual in all the NFCG in his career. 

Rodgers playoff stats: 36TDs, 10 INTs, 99.4 QBR.

In 2010, he played one of the best defenses in the league and laid an egg. His team lifted him, I agree. But then he put up a stellar performance in the Super Bowl along with the other two playoff games so you have to give both sides credit.

If the point you're making is that Rodgers isn't good in championship games, you're right, he hasn't been. But if your argument is that he's bad in the playoffs, you're just flat-out wrong.

Well that's the market. If I'm the Falcons I'm not giving Matt a penny over 23 per year. Call his bluff. There will be no quality teams needing a quarterback next summer. Nearly every team has a quarterback in place or has a young guy ready to take the reigns. We have already paid Matt $150,000,000. We have young defensive players who are going to have to get paid. The Falcons have to man up and play hard ball.