Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ChickenBiscuit

Brees re-ups with Saints 2 years 48 million

41 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

I hope this isn't true. If he signs, I hope he cripples them, not a little team friendly deal like this.

If true I wouldn't be surprised if all or most of that $48 million is guaranteed

 

NeonDeion likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, shockerfalcon said:

If true I wouldn't be surprised if all or most of that $48 million is guaranteed

 

24 mil per year is still pretty cheap for a first ballot HoFer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If this is true then it looks like Brees actually wants another SB ring rather than just money. That might help them resign Graham.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, shockerfalcon said:

brady makes 22 mil

 

IIRC Brady gets paid a ton of money by businesses he owns that are financed by Gillette stadium, meaning he makes a lot more money that doesn't show up on the contract.

He's also married to a woman that's richer than he is. 22mil would be outrageously cheap for Matt Ryan, let alone Tom Brady. If Ryan took 22mil/yr I'd jump for joy. Blank better throw him some home depot locations ASAP lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ChickenBiscuit said:

IIRC Brady gets paid a ton of money by businesses he owns that are financed by Gillette stadium, meaning he makes a lot more money that doesn't show up on the contract.

He's also married to a woman that's richer than he is. 22mil would be outrageously cheap for Matt Ryan, let alone Tom Brady. If Ryan took 22mil/yr I'd jump for joy. Blank better throw him some home depot locations ASAP lol

i just stated that to put it in to context of the rumored brees signing. and to be a smarty pants lol. I'm actually surprised at the Brees deal he could have commanded a lot more on the free market from playoff ready teams like the vikings, or bills

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ZoneOne01 said:

Saints got him for a great deal. Took less to help his team financially.

Can't blame Ryan for wanting the money as you gotta get it while you can, but at the same time MAN I wish we could land him on a team-friendly deal. It'd help a ******* ton.

 

mashburn*Fibonacci likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ChickenBiscuit said:

Can't blame Ryan for wanting the money as you gotta get it while you can, but at the same time MAN I wish we could land him on a team-friendly deal. It'd help a ******* ton.

 

You’re not alone. I wish he’d do the team a solid but he won’t. It is what it is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ZoneOne01 said:

You’re not alone. I wish he’d do the team a solid but he won’t. It is what it is. 

Or better yet I wish that Arthur Blank would figure out some other way to compensate him. Like C'mon Arthur, you're a billionaire you have to have some sort of panama shell company or swiss bank account that you can use to throw money to matty. stop playing lol

tactician likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brees already counts $6 million on their cap for each of the next 3 years due to past bonus money, or basically cap manipulation.

If this is true, I'm assuming it's new money and is effectively $30 million per year cap-wise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

24 mil per year is still pretty cheap for a first ballot HoFer.

The NOLA was negotiating 20 M. Not cheap for a QB in final 2 years of career. He is making more than what Peyton Manning got in Denver. The cap hit will be around 30 M for Brees.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, PK Manley said:

Brees already counts $6 million on their cap for each of the next 3 years due to past bonus money, or basically cap manipulation.

If this is true, I'm assuming it's new money and is effectively $30 million per year cap-wise.

Yap but, worth every penny for a team who has a legit shot going deep in playoffs again.

Doesnt matter what supporting cast he has....this guy is lethal & will give them everything in final 2 years.

Not good news for us......smh!!!

 

Iron Saint likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, mattyicefalcon said:

Yap but, worth every penny for a team who has a legit shot going deep in playoffs again.

Doesnt matter what supporting cast he has....this guy is lethal & will give them everything in final 2 years.

Not good news for us......smh!!!

 

Yeah, I'm familiar with Drew Brees.  I'm just saying that it isn't some great discount for them when you consider everything.

Honestly, it's not much of any news that really changes anything for us.  It was a long shot that he'd be going anywhere else, though this is still just being reported by a dude with a popular podcast, not Schefter or anybody like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Doctor Kildare said:

Age and wear and tear eventually get us all. I just hope that when the day comes when Brees' effectiveness is gone, the Saints are paying him a guaranteed 24 million for two years.

Seeing Brees regress would make my year, honestly. It'd be the downfall of them.

NeonDeion and Vandy like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

24 mil per year is still pretty cheap for a first ballot HoFer.

He’s 39 tho. Regression is imminent 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

24 mil per year is still pretty cheap for a first ballot HoFer.

Hmmmm, I wonder why? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We all knew good and well he was never going to the Vikings after all those years he's spent and broken records with the Saints plus he's toward the end of this career. The Vikings weren't gonna pull another Brett Favre 2.0. 

I also didn't understand why Jimmy Graham was in the the discussion of going to the Falcons. I would never want him here at all. If there's one person I wouldn't want here in Atlanta, it's him. Jimmy Graham hates the Falcons. He's stated it many times as a Saint and as a Seahawk. I wouldn't want that distraction on the team. Just like Isiah Thomas deep down inside was never interested playing with LeBron. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

Can't blame Ryan for wanting the money as you gotta get it while you can, but at the same time MAN I wish we could land him on a team-friendly deal. It'd help a ******* ton.

 

There are limits to that.  Matt Ryan needs a strong supporting cast to win a championship.  He is not mobile and he certainly does not have a rocket launcher for an arm.  He is a very good QB, but he can not carry an offense like Brady or Rodgers.    

If Matt Ryan gets a deal worth $30M/year, he will cripple this team, and he will be surrounded by a bunch of young or middling talent.  

QB's are different.  They have business opportunities that most other players don't.  Blank should have enough business connections to set the Ryan family up for three generations here in Atlanta.  Matt should sign a team friendly, long term deal.  

He needs to take a page from Brady's and Bree's books.  That is the only way he will win a championship.          

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, etherdome said:

There are limits to that.  Matt Ryan needs a strong supporting cast to win a championship.  He is not mobile and he certainly does not have a rocket launcher for an arm.  He is a very good QB, but he can not carry an offense like Brady or Rodgers.    

If Matt Ryan gets a deal worth $30M/year, he will cripple this team, and he will be surrounded by a bunch of young or middling talent.  

QB's are different.  They have business opportunities that most other players don't.  Blank should have enough business connections to set the Ryan family up for three generations here in Atlanta.  Matt should sign a team friendly, long term deal.  

He needs to take a page from Brady's and Bree's books.  That is the only way he will win a championship.          

Lets be honest this was the first team friendly deal brees has taken.. his last contract was absurd. The guy is 39 and knows he needs the money to provide a defense and offensive help. Brady gets paid on the side by the patriots which is a complete horse**** deal the nfl shouldnt have allowed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, SkerFalcon8710 said:

Lets be honest this was the first team friendly deal brees has taken.. his last contract was absurd. The guy is 39 and knows he needs the money to provide a defense and offensive help. Brady gets paid on the side by the patriots which is a complete horse**** deal the nfl shouldnt have allowed

At some point, the NFL is going to have to make exceptions for QB's.  Their value/contracts are so high that their salaries may have to be excluded from cap calculation.  

tactician likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites