Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ryantlanta

Imagine if the Taints lost Drew Brees

81 posts in this topic

43 minutes ago, falconidae said:

That 18 mil is prorated bonus money. That means Brees has already received the money, they just the spread the cap hit over a number of years.

But his contract is up.  I believe that means the hit has already been prorated.

I'm thinking no matter what Brees has an 18 million dollar cap hit this season and all the Saints can do is add to that.

16 minutes ago, federicofalcon2 said:

The determination is whether that 18 million is allocated to this year or its spread out over the extended contract life.  He is already owed that but they can reduce his cap hit of that bonus in addition to whatever they extend him for (~25 million per year) so if they give him a 3 year extension his bonus would divide 6 mil per year among those 3 years equaling the 18 million but then the cap hit for his new contract would add on to that.  But if they don't get it done before March 14 then all 18 will be charged this year. 

But doesn't that apply when you extend someone's existing contract.

Bree's deal is done.  Doesn't that mean that the 18 million hit is on the books and anything new is additional to that?

1 minute ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

But his contract is up.  I believe that means the hit has already been prorated.

I'm thinking no matter what Brees has an 18 million dollar cap hit this season and all the Saints can do is add to that.

The saints have until MArch 14th to extend him and prorate the bonus.  If they don't sign him to a new contract by that time then the bonus becomes a 2018 hit.  

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/269322/why-saints-drew-brees-have-hard-deadline-for-new-contract-and-whats-next

jeffro2000 and Vandy like this

1 minute ago, RING OF HONOR said:

Man I dont care who he signs with and if he wins 2 more Superbowls..just as long as its not with the Saints

He can win 2 more super bowls with another team, as long as it is after the Falcons win a super bowl.

Yo_Lover and RING OF HONOR like this

13 minutes ago, RING OF HONOR said:

Man I dont care who he signs with and if he wins 2 more Superbowls..just as long as its not with the Saints

Not me, I can’t stand him. No matter if/where he goes, as long as he’s been there he’ll never be able to get rid of that aints stench. :ninja:

RING OF HONOR likes this

23 minutes ago, Hingle McCringleberry said:

I know I hate Brees and he is old, but 22 is kinda insulting for him.

The Saints are going to want him to take into consideration the signing bonus money he has already been paid, which prorates to $6 million per year for the next 3 years.  That would put him at a $28 million cap hit if they paid him $22 more.

Of course, he doesn't have to take that into account and the Saints don't have much leverage here, but if they're negotiating in good faith it should be factored in.

Just now, PK Manley said:

The Saints are going to want him to take into consideration the signing bonus money he has already been paid, which prorates to $6 million per year for the next 3 years.  That would put him at a $28 million cap hit if they paid him $22 more.

Of course, he doesn't have to take that into account and the Saints don't have much leverage here, but if they're negotiating in good faith it should be factored in.

He is already getting paid that 18m, why would he not want to get that 28m per year on top of that. If a team is willing to pay him more than Garapolo, why would he not take it? Pipe dream that he saigns anywhere else, but one can dream though.

Saint did some accounting trickery to get cap relief with Brees' contract a couple of years ago.

Brees has been paid that 18 mil already. The way it works, is if Brees stays a saint, that 18 mil is spread out over the next 3 years at 6 mil a year, if he signs elsewhere,all 18 mil accelerates into this year, and they don't have Brees.

You can guess which one I'm rooting for.

jeffro2000 likes this

3 minutes ago, Hingle McCringleberry said:

He is already getting paid that 18m, why would he not want to get that 28m per year on top of that. If a team is willing to pay him more than Garapolo, why would he not take it? Pipe dream that he saigns anywhere else, but one can dream though.

He certainly could if he wants to, which is why I said that the Saints have very little leverage.  It just depends if he wants to treat them fairly and account for the bonus money he's already been paid.  I suspect he will, but I also never thought he would be unsigned by this point.

2 minutes ago, PK Manley said:

He certainly could if he wants to, which is why I said that the Saints have very little leverage.  It just depends if he wants to treat them fairly and account for the bonus money he's already been paid.  I suspect he will, but I also never thought he would be unsigned by this point.

I had a hunch, since his agent is also Rodger's and Ryan's. And both of their extensions were either on the near horizon or getting done this offseason. And, his agent (not him) wouldn't care about the financial situation of the Saint's only his clients financial situation.

3 minutes ago, falconidae said:

Saint did some accounting trickery to get cap relief with Brees' contract a couple of years ago.

Brees has been paid that 18 mil already. The way it works, is if Brees stays a saint, that 18 mil is spread out over the next 3 years at 6 mil a year, if he signs elsewhere,all 18 mil accelerates into this year, and they don't have Brees.

You can guess which one I'm rooting for.

I think also if he doesn't sign a new contract/extension before the new league year/current deal voids that $18m would accelerate to this yr along with any new contract.

I may be wrong on mine, but your above info is correct. I see some saying he is already getting $6-18m from them this yr which isn't correct. Brees saw that $ yrs ago that is strictly for cap.

1 hour ago, mikeg272 said:

Curious IF they do lose him if it makes a domino effect on their potential free agent signings, especially Graham which they say is likely to sign there

The first thought that comes to mind is...

THAT’S a THEM PROBLEM! :lol:

mikeg272 likes this

11 minutes ago, PK Manley said:

You know, I have thought about for a long time now(about twenty seconds) and I am absolutely ok with the Taints letting him walk. 

That’ll show him not to mess with the Taints! 

The Aints are building a decent defense. It might be time to focus on that side of the ball. It wins championships.

I saw a clip somewhere last year of some Aint QB protege where Payton said the franchise QB is in the building.

Can't remember his name. Anyone know about him? The clips I saw of him he was ballin. Can run and pass.