Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ryantlanta

Imagine if the Taints lost Drew Brees

81 posts in this topic

Curious IF they do lose him if it makes a domino effect on their potential free agent signings, especially Graham which they say is likely to sign there

ryantlanta likes this

1 minute ago, notthatcool said:

One day they will

One day will lose Ryan 

Of course.

But it would have a huge impact to the Saints if Brees were to move on now. He is still one of the top QBs in the NFL and it would instantly deplete a team who was a playoff/SB contender.

NeonDeion likes this

1 minute ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

Wouldn't the Taints have to pay Brees the $18M they owe him if he signs with another team?

Yea says if they don’t reach a deal by march 14th they will have 18m in dead cap space.

5 minutes ago, ryantlanta said:

Yea says if they don’t reach a deal by march 14th they will have 18m in dead cap space.

I'm always confused by the term "dead money". Is that money that the player gets regardless of if they are on the roster or not, or does it refer to money that they cannot spend?

Just now, CrimsonFalcon said:

I'm always confused by the term "dead money". Is that money that the player gets regardless of if they are on the roster or not, or does it refer to money that they cannot spend?

I think it’s just money that can’t be used on other players.

8 minutes ago, ryantlanta said:

Would that stop them from being able to sign him anywhere close to what other teams will more than likely throw at him?

Could the Saints even sign him all after that?

17 minutes ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

Wouldn't the Taints have to pay Brees the $18M they owe him if he signs with another team?

9 minutes ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

That 18 mil is prorated bonus money. That means Brees has already received the money, they just the spread the cap hit over a number of years.

I hope he goes but Brees on the Vikings is a bigger threat to a SB than Brees on the Saints IMO.

send him to the AFC.

2 minutes ago, falconidae said:

That 18 mil is prorated bonus money. That means Brees has already received the money, they just the spread the cap hit over a number of years.

Thanks. I wasn't exactly sure what "dead money" meant.

Flying Falcon and falconidae like this

11 minutes ago, octoslash said:

The Aints losing Drew Brees is 100% completely and totally impossible.

But it would be great to see that fanbase's reaction.  They'd probably burn the city down.  Which

would obviously be an improvement. 

Then the rest of the country can pay to rebuild it again...

21 minutes ago, octoslash said:

The Aints losing Drew Brees is 100% completely and totally impossible.

But it would be great to see that fanbase's reaction.  They'd probably burn the city down.  Which

would obviously be an improvement. 

Nothing is impossible...

Remember, the Eagles winning the Super Bowl was impossible with a back up against Tom Brady...

Dukeduke211 likes this

It's improbable that Brees signs elsewhere, but the Saints can't stop him from signing somewhere else and one of the teams with a lot of cap space might make it worth his while.

45 minutes ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

that is already on the books. there isn't anything they can do about that. the way they worked his contract out was a for real backloaded. 

27 minutes ago, kschreck said:

As unlikely as it is, I'd laugh as hard as I did on the Diggs TD.

This would be exactly like the Diggs TD, only spread out over several years. 

1989Fan and kschreck like this

34 minutes ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

Would that stop them from being able to sign him anywhere close to what other teams will more than likely throw at him?

Could the Saints even sign him all after that?

The determination is whether that 18 million is allocated to this year or its spread out over the extended contract life.  He is already owed that but they can reduce his cap hit of that bonus in addition to whatever they extend him for (~25 million per year) so if they give him a 3 year extension his bonus would divide 6 mil per year among those 3 years equaling the 18 million but then the cap hit for his new contract would add on to that.  But if they don't get it done before March 14 then all 18 will be charged this year. 

DawnOfThemBirds likes this