Not A Fan, But PFF Says We Had A Decent O-Line

https://www.ajc.com/sports/falcons-offensive-line-ranked-second-nfl-2017/i73BzTepO8JfExL64GZnjJ/

The offensive line of the Atlanta Falcons was rated as the second-best offensive line unit in the NFL in 2017, according to Pro Football Focus.

Center Alex Mack and tackles Jake Matthews and Ryan Schraeder were the top performers on the line. Left guard Andy Levitre missed four of the final five games of the season with a triceps injury, while right guard Wes Schweitzer was the lowest-rated Falcons offensive lineman.

“A lot of what the Falcons do on offense relies on their outside zone runs – a concept they used more times than any other team in the league – and once again they found success on these runs as they averaged 4.45 yards on outside zone, the eighth-highest in the NFL,” PFF’s Zolatan Buday wrote. 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

I'm not so sure it was No. 2, but I'm not quick to say it was bad with Matthews, Levitre, Mack, and Schraeder.

Exactly. One year removed from the superbowl hangover, a healthier season and an upgrade at RG and this line should be back to one of the better units in the leauge. 

I don't think the line was terrible by any means. There was a lot of inconsistency though...especially with Schraeder going down and Schweitzer being a hole at times getting blowed up. Levitre also missed some time. 2016 they were very consistent. 

Edited by jay1k2

We do have a good O-line and 4 of the 5 guys on it are either good Matthews and Levitre or great in Mack and Schraeder.  Those guys are more than adequate what made our line look bad at times last year is Ryan and Mack had to help wes out alot and at times it got them out of position on their own guys.  Then when wes was left alone he got beat like a drum against DT's.   This is why i wanted Levitre back so much as when healthy he does his job very well and it leaves us only needing 1 OG in FA or the draft and RG can be upgraded easily.

The right side did not perform as well and once Andy went down left side was no longer as reliable. We didn't run the ball as well from what I could tell, especially in the red zone.

Maybe Wes strengthens up and finds his consistency coupled with a hopefully better lead blocker.

our O-Line isnt bad at all..... I def do think Matt helps with that .... I would like a guard that can help us get that 3rd and 2 getting some push up the middle.

Again this team is talented.... Yea we are thin in depth... I think thats why TD dont want to trade highish draft picks

I mean - we have one weak link along the OL @ RG.

But aside from that, the talent we have at the other 4 spots ranges from solid-to-elite.  The issue is that with the line acting as one unit, you could attack the weak link in the chain which I think hurt overall performance. 

While I agree that we should be looking to upgrade here - at least considering it based on their evaluation of on roster talent (Schweitzer/Harlow/Garland), I think using a Day 1/2 pick is overkill.

29 minutes ago, Bobby.Digital said:

Exactly. One year removed from the superbowl hangover, a healthier season and an upgrade at RG and this line should be back to one of the better units in the leauge. 

If healthy, It’s Top 10 even with Wes. 

26 minutes ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

I mean - we have one weak link along the OL @ RG.

But aside from that, the talent we have at the other 4 spots ranges from solid-to-elite.  The issue is that with the line acting as one unit, you could attack the weak link in the chain which I think hurt overall performance. 

While I agree that we should be looking to upgrade here - at least considering it based on their evaluation of on roster talent (Schweitzer/Harlow/Garland), I think using a Day 1/2 pick is overkill.

Not with Levitre only signed for a year and Mack getting up in years- want the replacements for both on the team now, learning the system and getting stronger.