Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Falcon Ben

Let's Just Nip This in the Bud...

74 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, 7979 said:

Spoiled or just tired of opportunities missed or bungled by front office and coaches?  You can put me in the second group.

 

 

Exactly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

What have Derrick Shelby and Jack Crawford ever done in the NFL?

Not sure about you,

but many in TATF love to talk about how Tommy Dimitroff is a "salary cap wizard" - but the reason that can even be said is because he doesn't and never has had to manage a lot of upcoming big contracts while signing huge UFAs.

As to Shelby/Crawford - those two together are what? $6mm.    Suh by himself is $16mm......so your comparison falls a little flat when you examine it in context of money and the opportunity cost.    Alex Mack is a $10mm/yr type player.   If you said SUH - OR - MACK/SHELBY/CRAWFORD - then you have a fair comparison.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

One question: why not?

This window will close eventually.... backload that contract and let's go for the SB

Personally? He's a *****. 

I like to be proud of our guys. And no, that doesn't mean they have to be choir boys at all -- but I don't like douches. Or the bags they come in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

He is not going to sign for that - PLUS - I don’t think his production would warrant even that contract.

Yeah I don't think I can agree with you there.  I think he is a significantly better player than Poe, and I suspect Poe will get 3 years 30 mil.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

What have Derrick Shelby and Jack Crawford ever done in the NFL?

Shelby was solid before his injury and has played well, Reed just played better. Crawford got hurt at the beginning of the season so we don’t know yet what he will do for us. And you premise was that we never sign any good players. Mack alone negates that 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Peyton said:

Yeah I don't think I can agree with you there.  I think he is a significantly better player than Poe, and I suspect Poe will get 3 years 30 mil.

never said he wasn't better than Poe - that is a different question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Not sure about you,

but many in TATF love to talk about how Tommy Dimitroff is a "salary cap wizard" - but the reason that can even be said is because he doesn't and never has had to manage a lot of upcoming big contracts while signing huge UFAs.

As to Shelby/Crawford - those two together are what? $6mm.    Suh by himself is $16mm......so your comparison falls a little flat when you examine it in context of money and the opportunity cost.    Alex Mack is a $10mm/yr type player.   If you said SUH - OR - MACK/SHELBY/CRAWFORD - then you have a fair comparison.

Mack is an all-pro player who is worth the money. Crawford and Shelby are nothing more than warm bodies that the Falcons gave money to hoping to strike it rich. It's the nickel and dime approach to team building.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, NeonDeion said:

Shelby was solid before his injury and has played well, Reed just played better. Crawford got hurt at the beginning of the season so we don’t know yet what he will do for us. And you premise was that we never sign any good players. Mack alone negates that 

Shelby finally started making plays in the Seattle game in 2016 and that's the game he got hurt in. Shelby did absolutely nothing in 2017. Crawford, who knows?

I never said the Falcons don't sign good players. I said playmakers. There's a difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Shelby finally started making plays in the Seattle game in 2016 and that's the game he got hurt in. Shelby did absolutely nothing in 2017. Crawford, who knows?

I never said the Falcons don't sign good players. I said playmakers. There's a difference.

Mack is a playmaker 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Falcon Ben said:

Personally? He's a *****. 

I like to be proud of our guys. And no, that doesn't mean they have to be choir boys at all -- but I don't like douches. Or the bags they come in. 

I don’t like him either. But I also don’t think he’s a terrible person, just a dirty player that throws tantrums sometimes. I also feel like that he’s matured past that a little. Haven’t seen him do anything questionable in Miami. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Peyton said:

3 years, 30 million, and a chance to win a couple of rings.  Sign here N......

Lol your drinking early today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, osiruz said:

Lol your drinking early today.

Well yeah because he allegedly told the Eagles he'd play there for free lol.  Him signing with the Eagles would not be ideal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, athell said:

Because as a whole people don't truly understand how flexible and creative teams can be with the cap.  All they see is $HUGEMONEY and automatically assume there is no way to get it done.

I see why because we have a bunch of young guys in the next year or 3 that are going to have to be resigned.

If you are like you say a build through the draft and are true to that direction  then you don't have big cash to spend in FA.Theres a time and a place to do it and with 13 and change to spend right now we aren't in that position to do it.

The key extension is Ryan and the cap hit for Toilolo doesn't kick in till Jun 1.The money just isn't there right now to go shopping like fans want us too.

athell likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

I don’t like him either. But I also don’t think he’s a terrible person, just a dirty player that throws tantrums sometimes. I also feel like that he’s matured past that a little. Haven’t seen him do anything questionable in Miami. 

Fair point, and I agree that he's not a wife beater, rapist or child abuser like some other guys in the league. So, I wouldn't burn all my gear if we signed him. I still don't want him. I put him in the same category with guys like Bennett. 

Falcanuck likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

I see why because we have a bunch of young guys in the next year or 3 that are going to have to be resigned.

If you are like you say a build through the draft and are true to that direction  then you don't have big cash to spend in FA.Theres a time and a place to do it and with 13 and change to spend right now we aren't in that position to do it.

The key extension is Ryan and the cap hit for Toilolo doesn't kick in till Jun 1.The money just isn't there right now to go shopping like fans want us too.

You build through the draft for sure, but it's not everyday a franchise level elite talent like a Suh becomes available ya know?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, athell said:

You build through the draft for sure, but it's not everyday a franchise level elite talent like a Suh becomes available ya know?

It's also not everyday you have to splurge 15 plus on a guy either.

I think a bit different man I think we need to stay on this draft path and keep plugging in there the majority of the time.

Theres no guarantees in this league so I'm not feeling Suh for that money.I think we can get a similar result if we just stay true to what we've been doing through the draft development and competition across the roster.

g-dawg and athell like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

It's also not everyday you have to splurge 15 plus on a guy either.

I think a bit different man I think we need to stay on this draft path and keep plugging in there the majority of the time.

Theres no guarantees in this league so I'm not feeling Suh for that money.I think we can get a similar result if we just stay true to what we've been doing through the draft development and competition across the roster.

Yeah, I hear you.  Like I said, it would depend on money he is after but if you can fit Suh into your offseason plans, you do it imo.

Also, in regards to guarantees, there is no guarantee that the players you draft ever amount to anything.  I agree you build through the draft, but if you can get a guy like Suh, who is a proven NFL commodity...and not even commodity, one of the best at his positions, and if you can make it work within the confines of your offseason spending, you gotta do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, athell said:

Yeah, I hear you.  Like I said, it would depend on money he is after but if you can fit Suh into your offseason plans, you do it imo.

Also, in regards to guarantees, there is no guarantee that the players you draft ever amount to anything.  I agree you build through the draft, but if you can get a guy like Suh, who is a proven NFL commodity...and not even commodity, one of the best at his positions, and if you can make it work within the confines of your offseason spending, you gotta do it.

Exactly right on the last paragraph but the big difference is the risk financially is far less if Suh does a Haynesworth and just collects for example how does that leave the team.

Ive heard this guy wants to play for not much but again I think that's just player speak.

athell likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Exactly right on the last paragraph but the big difference is the risk financially is far less if Suh does a Haynesworth and just collects for example how does that leave the team.

Ive heard this guy wants to play for not much but again I think that's just player speak.

as to the "playing for not much" - I will believe that when I see it.   Right now, Suh's job and his agent's job is to generate interest - and advertising you are looking to be reasonable on contract demands - helps teams at least kick the tires on Suh - kind of like listing your home below market price with a strategy to solicit multiple offers and drive the price up.

Vandy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

as to the "playing for not much" - I will believe that when I see it.   Right now, Suh's job and his agent's job is to generate interest - and advertising you are looking to be reasonable on contract demands - helps teams at least kick the tires on Suh - kind of like listing your home below market price with a strategy to solicit multiple offers and drive the price up.

Well the comment he made to the Eagles about how he has made enough money and he would play with them for free was made way back in August. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the one team that is really on the rise that could really pay Suh is the 49ers.  Other than that, most of the good teams are in the same spot, would have to scramble for the cap space.

The Falcons are going to at least make a call. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Peyton said:

Well yeah because he allegedly told the Eagles he'd play there for free lol.  Him signing with the Eagles would not be ideal.

That would be cool, I don't see it happening. Dude is making truck loads of money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Peyton said:

Suh has made 124 million dollars in his career and allegedly told the Eagles he had made enough money and would play for them for free.  Well I guess we are going to see if they guy wants to win.  He's never won anything so this is his chance to go to a winner. 

LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites