Will Sark have our offense balling in 2018?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, our FO has been very open about its focus on the OL.  That will help tremendously.  

Hooper has been very open about putting in extra time with Matt.  If they can build rapport, that will help tremendously.  

Quinn probably had quite a few guys chomping at the bit to be our OC.  He chose Sarkisian mostly because Sark is a very sharp guy.  He took a lot of lumps last season, but my guess is that we will see a different offense that is more to Sark's liking.  And that will help tremendously.  

This offense will score 22-24 points a game and some will defend Sark yet again(because they are "real Falcon fans") meanwhile others will see the same faces on the same field that produced the 8th best offense in NFL history.

The defense sure as sh!t better be dominant because the Ferrari is in garage and we have a drunk driver in the station wagon.

Edited by tony_g_forever

7 minutes ago, tony_g_forever said:

This offense will score 22-24 points a game and some will defend Sark yet again(because they are "real Falcon fans") meanwhile others will see the same faces on the same field that produced the 8th best offense in NFL history.

The defense sure as sh!t better be dominant because the Ferrari is in garage and we have a drunk driver in the station wagon.

Lol. Let's hope your wrong.

54 minutes ago, Falconcheff said:

Matt Ryan generally makes OC's into HeadCoaches by their second or third years with him (see:  Shanahan, Koetter, Mularkey...), so I'm excited to see where we are in this process with Sark...

You're right about MR2 making OCs into HCs in just a few years --- but I can't help but wonder if that hasn't been to his detriment, with him having so many different coaches in such a relatively short period of time.  And may I say, there's not many QBs who could have handled that as well as Ryan has!  
So yes, I'm excited to see where Sark can take this offense --- only time will tell...  

1 hour ago, tony_g_forever said:

24 points a game is top 8 in the league. If the Falcons had scored one more TD every 4 games last year, they're a top ten scoring offense last year, that's with the playcalling, the bad throws, the missed blocks, the dropped passes/tip drill INTs.

Falcons can get to a top 5 scoring offense in the league next year by, and all these assume reasonable things:

Sark gets better at play calling

Ryan makes fewer bad throws

Schweitzer becomes more consistent or is replaced by mid level FA/high draft pick

Hooper takes a step up

Drops are way down

FA/draft additions work out-say Efiert on a one year deal or TE in the draft.

Get a solid FB.

Return game gives them better field position than they did last year. Maybe Davis becomes the deep threat/return guy

None of that requires a quantum leap from anyone, much of it is just better execution and better play calling, esp. in the red zone. This team won't get to 2016 levels, they can be a top 5 offense.

6 minutes ago, falconidae said:

24 points a game is top 8 in the league. If the Falcons had scored one more TD every 4 games last year, they're a top ten scoring offense last year, that's with the playcalling, the bad throws, the missed blocks, the dropped passes/tip drill INTs.

Falcons can get to a top 5 scoring offense in the league next year by, and all these assume reasonable things:

Sark gets better at play calling

Ryan makes fewer bad throws

Schweitzer becomes more consistent or is replaced by mid level FA/high draft pick

Hooper takes a step up

Drops are way down

FA/draft additions work out-say Efiert on a one year deal or TE in the draft.

Get a solid FB.

Return game gives them better field position than they did last year. Maybe Davis becomes the deep threat/return guy

None of that requires a quantum leap from anyone, much of it is just better execution and better play calling, esp. in the red zone. This team won't get to 2016 levels, they can be a top 5 offense.

Well he!! we are locks for the Superbowl then, right?? I mean a top 10 defense with what you described, how can we not win it all? Watch that playoff game against the Eagles and tell me our offense is going to be top 5..lol. Matter of fact, the offense got worse as the season progressed last year so color me unimpressed. I beg you you to bring up Shannys first season, I do. You know the year we had car salesmen starting for us yet many compare it to Sarks 1st years quite often.

22 minutes ago, AlabamaFalconFan said:

I was expecting a 20% drop off last season or roughly 27 ppg.  Boy was I wrong.

Under 24 ppg in 2018 and I may start sharpening my pitch fork.  However, I will keep a positive wait and see approach,  we still have a long off season to go.

The offense actually regressed as the season progress...that is what  has me on high alert. The Eagles game was the final straw of incompetence for me.

31 minutes ago, tony_g_forever said:

Well he!! we are locks for the Superbowl then, right?? I mean a top 10 defense with what you described, how can we not win it all? Watch that playoff game against the Eagles and tell me our offense is going to be top 5..lol. Matter of fact, the offense got worse as the season progressed last year so color me unimpressed. I beg you you to bring up Shannys first season, I do. You know the year we had car salesmen starting for us yet many compare it to Sarks 1st years quite often.

You're the one that was complaining that the Falcons would score 24 points a game- I just pointed out that's a top 8 scoring defense.

Defy you to find one post I've made on here comparing Shanny's first year to Sark's first year.

You do realize Levitre wasn't playing in the playoffs right?  The one thing the Falcons have to do, that I didn't specifically mention in my post, in get better depth on the Oline. I'd find a solid guard in FA and draft one high as well.

Falcons scored 22 points a game last year, 26 points a game is top 5. You want to assume the Falcons will keep going backwards, feel free. Barring injuries, I think they figure it out on the offensive side of the ball.

2 hours ago, tony_g_forever said:

The offense actually regressed as the season progress...that is what  has me on high alert. The Eagles game was the final straw of incompetence for me.

and yet here you are........

you're free to go, we're not forcing you to be a fan of a team where that final straw of incompetence has been drawn for ya.

bye felicia

Shanahan was already in the league for a decade as an assistant head coach. Sarkisian came straight out of college. I don't care if you're a player or a coach. Transitioning from the college level to the NFL level is always going to be a gauntlet and it takes years of experience before you reach the peak level. All of this is WITHOUT by anti-bias about Sarkisian, and people have no idea how much I hated this guy. Shanahan did better in his 1st year with less talent on offense and a bunch of coaching changes than Sarkisian in his 1st year who was handled an offense with returning starters from a record setting offense who was in the Super Bowl a season ago. None of this compares. I will repeat this as I've said over and over again, over the next couple of years the Falcons defense is gonna have to carry us more than ever before in any point in our history, especially with Matt Ryan and Julio aging. Our window is here now and for the city of Atlanta this is our best chance for a championship since the 1995 Braves. No, not the Atlanta United, it's the Atlanta Falcons as long as Matt Ryan is still with us along with an improving defense. 

1 hour ago, papachaz said:

and yet here you are........

you're free to go, we're not forcing you to be a fan of a team where that final straw of incompetence has been drawn for ya.

bye felicia

Appropriate, as I think this was right around the time I banned this alt of a banned poster.

Anyway, please move the discussion forward without referencing his posts any more.

I think this offense is transitioning to more clock control, fewer yards and probably fewer points. I expect a whole lot of 3 yards and a cloud of rubber pellets plays into the indefinite future.

On a brighter note, I think our scoring percentage in the Red Zone will improve drastically, except it will be based on about 2 or 3 trips in the RZ per game from now on.

But...if we do find ourselves fielding an offensive juggernaut this season, let me be the first in Atlanta to congratulate you, Sark. I certainly think you deserve to have your storybook ending with your continued sobriety. That in itself is quite a laudable feat.