Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Falconsfan567

Split Backs

37 posts in this topic

58 minutes ago, Vandy said:

So I’m thinking what you’d really like to see us run is more of a Pro Set with free and Teco together, not the Power I, 567.

Yes?

Yes. Absolutely right. I don't think doing it full-time is the way to go but I think doing it occassionally would catch defenses off guard and create mismatches and we all know that's the name of the game in the NFL.

Vandy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

Yeah not the scheme. I like our scheme I just want a power back to go with our guys. That's why I've been screaming about Ballage all off-season :lol:

Absolutely. I'd love to get a Jason Snelling back that can do it all. Would add another dimension to this offense.

Ovie_Lover and Vandy like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Absolutely. I'd love to get a Jason Snelling back that can do it all. Would add another dimension to this offense.

That's what I think Ballage can be. Snelling but better. FB, RB, WR

Falconsfan567 and Vandy like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Falconsfan567 said:

Yeah, we talked about him before.

Yeah, a lot of people say no because he won't be a lead back but he wouldn't need to be. He could still make plays from a variety of positions on the field while we have Teco or Free in. We paid Free to lead so he better lead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

Yeah, a lot of people say no because he won't be a lead back but he wouldn't need to be. He could still make plays from a variety of positions on the field while we have Teco or Free in. We paid Free to lead so he better lead.

I'll never understand people who object to a given RB because "he wont be a lead back" 

Leaving aside the fact that all sorts of dudes have been "lead backs" in all sorts of styles, the game has understandably gone away from "lead backs." Not everyone, obviously. But the league in general. It makes more sense to have a cast of dudes that can do things. Hopefully, you work yourself into a situation where you have multiple guys who can do multiple things well (we're in that boat.) But if you've got that "lead back" mentality, you're setting yourself up for failure. RB is such a high risk position, you better be sure you've got multiple solutions. 

EDIT TO ADD: I'm not saying I dont like the "do it all" backs in the NFL. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Falconsfan567 said:

They can't block like Andrews because Andrews was a true FB as you say. But they're not useless either.

Sometimes Freeman’s blocking is useless, but that’s just me being salty. :rant:

Ovie_Lover likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

I'll never understand people who object to a given RB because "he wont be a lead back" 

Leaving aside the fact that all sorts of dudes have been "lead backs" in all sorts of styles, the game has understandably gone away from "lead backs." Not everyone, obviously. But the league in general. It makes more sense to have a cast of dudes that can do things. Hopefully, you work yourself into a situation where you have multiple guys who can do multiple things well (we're in that boat.) But if you've got that "lead back" mentality, you're setting yourself up for failure. RB is such a high risk position, you better be sure you've got multiple solutions. 

EDIT TO ADD: I'm not saying I dont like the "do it all" backs in the NFL. 

Exactly. If you liked Sneilling you'll love Ballage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is your favorite offensive formation or personnel? For me its 22 personnel. If you've got the right players that can run it correctly then it can be pretty much unstoppable. You never know if run or pass is coming and who is getting the ball. You can also stretch defenses vertically and horrizontally.

Vandy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

We ran it in the 70s and 80s with Cain and Andrews. You have to remember Andrews was a FB that could block his as off which neither Free or Coleman can do.

Loved watching that backfield and they had ran behind a **** good OL. **** in 1980 the whole offense was solid. Not only as you mentioned it doesn't fit Teco of Free's skill set, it's got to be something an OC and OL are familiar with running too. But the game has changed, doubt Sarkisian has much exposure to it. But thats what training camp is for.

Still would be a nice occasional look, even if they would split one of them out as a receiver sometimes, definitely would like to see them expand the offensive playbook. There a few times last season they were running the ball effectively OL was getting into it, and almost seem to gravitate away from it. Both Freeman and Coleman seem like backs that get better the more they are used. Doesn't have to be against every defense or every game, but the ones that they create mismatches with the best. Yea I know coaches say we are gonna do what we do, but you still have to look at defenses and exploit their weaknesses too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Atlantafan21 said:

Sometimes Freeman’s blocking is useless, but that’s just me being salty. :rant:

As is Coleman’s. Worse than Free’s, actually.

not a slam on Coleman, just some of you guys are over-embellishing free’s Blocking ‘flaws’. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

That's a good point.

I'm just think that I'd love to see the split back formation with Freeman and Coleman and see defenses try to find a way to stop it. Are the Falcons running? If yes, then who's getting the ball? Are the Falcons throwing it? If yes, then where's it going? I think it could be deadly, especially in a year like 2017 when our FB was pretty horrific. Just seems to me that teams and coaches ought to be smarter instead of trying to always do the same thing even if the personnel isn't condusive towards doing that.

I know Sark is new to the NFL game, but I was really surprised, even in our SB year that we didn't put them both on the field more often together.  It shows that you have to account for BOTH of them and honestly if you can get players like them one on one with linebackers who aren't fast enough to cover or CBs who can't tackle them, it leaves us in such a huge advantage, plus with Free and Teco along with Hooper Jones and Sanu it can get very difficult who to choose to double team.

Falconsfan567 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites