Split Backs

My mom is watching the 1980 NFC Championship game between the Cowboys and Eagles and watching the Cowboys using the split backs formation on nearly every play has me wondering why we don't see that formation anymore? That was a formation that was a staple of nearly all the NFL teams for a long time and now we don't see it at all.

Can we get some good legit football discussion on this topic and other offensive formations?

@PeytonMannings Forehead, @DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry, @Vandy, @TheFatboi, @Knight of God, @gazoo, @g-dawg

Others are certainly welcomed and encouraged to post in this thread, but just wanted to make sure these guys saw it.

13 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

My mom is watching the 1980 NFC Championship game between the Cowboys and Eagles and watching the Cowboys using the split backs formation on nearly every play has me wondering why we don't see that formation anymore? That was a formation that was a staple of nearly all the NFL teams for a long time and now we don't see it at all.

Can we get some good legit football discussion on this topic and other offensive formations?

@PeytonMannings Forehead, @DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry, @Vandy, @TheFatboi, @Knight of God, @gazoo, @g-dawg

Others are certainly welcomed and encouraged to post in this thread, but just wanted to make sure these guys saw it.

Truth. The i formation took over the nfl basically because it was killing it in college. Players like Hershel Walker with a lead blocker just blew the game away. The split backfield was the use of two halfbacks most of the time and the eye employed a thumper at FB lead blocking and took a linebacker out. Defenses get smart to certain formations and it doesn’t work as well like it used to so causes offense to switch it up. That I formation became a beast for Earl Campbell, Eric Dickerson, Walter Payton, etc... and we know how’s much the nfl is a copycat league. 

5 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

Never watched it personally but I'd imagine because you need a FB that can also be a power running back otherwise teams will know you're probably running opposite the side the RB is on and that's just not very common. But idk.

That's a good point.

4 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

Truth. The i formation took over the nfl basically because it was killing it in college. Players like Hershel Walker with a lead blocker just blew the game away. The split backfield was the use of two halfbacks most of the time and the eye employed a thumper at FB lead blocking and took a linebacker out. Defenses get smart to certain formations and it doesn’t work as well like it used to so causes offense to switch it up. That I formation became a beast for Earl Campbell, Eric Dickerson, Walter Payton, etc... and we know how’s much the nfl is a copycat league. 

I'm just think that I'd love to see the split back formation with Freeman and Coleman and see defenses try to find a way to stop it. Are the Falcons running? If yes, then who's getting the ball? Are the Falcons throwing it? If yes, then where's it going? I think it could be deadly, especially in a year like 2017 when our FB was pretty horrific. Just seems to me that teams and coaches ought to be smarter instead of trying to always do the same thing even if the personnel isn't condusive towards doing that.

4 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

We ran it in the 70s and 80s with Cain and Andrews. You have to remember Andrews was a FB that could block his as off which neither Free or Coleman can do.

They can't block like Andrews because Andrews was a true FB as you say. But they're not useless either.

31 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

That's a good point.

I'm just think that I'd love to see the split back formation with Freeman and Coleman and see defenses try to find a way to stop it. Are the Falcons running? If yes, then who's getting the ball? Are the Falcons throwing it? If yes, then where's it going? I think it could be deadly, especially in a year like 2017 when our FB was pretty horrific. Just seems to me that teams and coaches ought to be smarter instead of trying to always do the same thing even if the personnel isn't condusive towards doing that.

So I’m thinking what you’d really like to see us run is more of a Pro Set with free and Teco together, not the Power I, 567.

Yes?

23 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

We ran it in the 70s and 80s with Cain and Andrews. You have to remember Andrews was a FB that could block his as off which neither Free or Coleman can do.

and Andrews could catch and run too, that swing pass out of the backfield was deadly to a LOT of defensive backs, cause ole number 31 would knock em on their butt quick!

40 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

That's a good point.

Absolutely. I would too. That would really put some tension on a defense if both lineup in a 3 point stance in the backfield. 

If I remember correctly it died with Mike Holmgren in Seattle. He turned Shaun Alexander into an MVP with it. Why it didn't stick, if the announcers are correct, is because very few teams ran out of it. Seattle was the last. So it automatically became a passing down and teams adjusted. It was the staple of the WCO in SF and GB back in the 80's and 90's.

20 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

Which is why a power run is so effective. (Seahawks, Beast Mode ; Eagles, Ajayi and Blount/Pats)

That’s coming back more and more as defenses have transitioned to base nickel and lighter, faster players.

i still love a power I with a big old rb and bulldozing FB

3 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Both the Seahawks and Eagles were zone-heavy teams. Most teams arent 100% one way or the other but both of those teams were predominantly zone-based running games. 

Yeah I know that but notice I listed teams with power backs. Beastmode Seahawks not the Seahawks now. Eagles and Ajayi/Blount, etc. 

I'm not knowledgeable enough about the intricacies of why it isnt in favor anymore. 

However, I share the opinion that our two backs in that formation could lead to some really creative stuff. Specifically, the ability to run outside zone concepts and have TC sneak out to the opposite side on a wheel route would be gorgeous. I'd have to go snap by snap in 2016 but we ran with 21 26% of the time and I feel like I remember some split stuff working well. Thats the type of role DiMarco would be really great for. 

7 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

Yeah I know that but notice I listed teams with power backs. Beastmode Seahawks not the Seahawks now. Eagles and Ajayi/Blount, etc. 

Right but those Marshawn teams were zone heavy. So are the Eagles. Burly backs but mostly zone concepts. 

So you mean specifically the type of back? 

3 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Right but those Marshawn teams were zone heavy. So are the Eagles. Burly backs but mostly zone concepts. 

So you mean specifically the type of back? 

Yeah not the scheme. I like our scheme I just want a power back to go with our guys. That's why I've been screaming about Ballage all off-season :lol: