Jump to content

If there's ever a year you go "all in" on FA and the Draft


Recommended Posts

It's this one.

  • Julio is getting more banged up every year. He's got 2-3 more years at this level. Maybe.
  • Ryan is still in his prime but won't last forever. It happens to everyone.
  • Our young defense has matured, but the big paychecks will come soon.
  • The cap just went up another $10M, even though revenues are down. That will likely change next year if the attendance/viewership trends continue.
  • We have the Super Bowl in our stadium, but the PSL costs are hitting the fan base hard. The fans are restless. Last year was a post-meltdown mulligan. Not this year.

What else???

Oh yeah, it's an even numbered year.

BREAK THE PIGGY BANK! WIN NOW!!!
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, since68andcounting said:

The cap just went up another $10M, even though revenues are down. That will likely change next year if the attendance/viewership trends continue.

The networks paid for the current TV deal through 2022.  The NFL is concerned about viewership as a long term trend, but for the next few years, the networks will be paying for what they agreed to.

This TV deal has been a big reason that the cap has risen so much.  The NFL always planned it to be a gradual multi-year rise rather than the cap jumping drastically in 2014.  I see no reason that the increases won't continue through 2022 when the deal expires.  Also, the NFL has been signing streaming deals, which I expect to continue.  IMO, the biggest reason that ratings are down is that television ratings are down across the board, with streaming being one of the causes.  NFL events are still at the top of the most-watched events of the year.

tl;dr - Ratings are a problem for the networks until 2022.  The NFL already got their money until then.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, since68andcounting said:

It's this one.

  • Julio is getting more banged up every year. He's got 2-3 more years at this level. Maybe.
  • Ryan is still in his prime but won't last forever. It happens to everyone.
  • Our young defense has matured, but the big paychecks will come soon.
  • The cap just went up another $10M, even though revenues are down. That will likely change next year if the attendance/viewership trends continue.
  • We have the Super Bowl in our stadium, but the PSL costs are hitting the fan base hard. The fans are restless. Last year was a post-meltdown mulligan. Not this year.

What else???

Oh yeah, it's an even numbered year.

BREAK THE PIGGY BANK! WIN NOW!!!
 

Getting to the 2nd round of the playoffs isn’t a meltdown. Let’s be honest here. All Falcons fans should know how hard it is to get to the playoffs let alone the SB. Yea we have a talented team and the way our offense looked was very lackluster COMPARED to the year prior but I wouldn’t dare call it a meltdown. 

With that said I was into a dynasty after last year. Not so much anymore. I just want one to satisfy my palate so yes go all out man. I’m feenin’ for it right now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, PK Manley said:

The networks paid for the current TV deal through 2022.  The NFL is concerned about viewership as a long term trend, but for the next few years, the networks will be paying for what they agreed to.

This TV deal has been a big reason that the cap has risen so much.  The NFL always planned it to be a gradual multi-year rise rather than the cap jumping drastically in 2014.  I see no reason that the increases won't continue through 2022 when the deal expires.  Also, the NFL has been signing streaming deals, which I expect to continue.  IMO, the biggest reason that ratings are down is that television ratings are down across the board, with streaming being one of the causes.  NFL events are still at the top of the most-watched events of the year.

tl;dr - Ratings are a problem for the networks until 2022.  The NFL already got their money until then.

And by then the NFL can decide on how they want to broadcast the games. Ratings are down for most major networks, except football. Sunday afternoon game of the week out performs all the primetime entertainment on the networks. The NFL isn't as concerned as people think.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

I remember when Philly went all in with the dream team...that worked right? Or when the giants spent a billion dollars on a defense 2 years ago...or all the years Washington bought a team...

Philly won the SB last year and you decide to bring up the year they did the “dream team” in FA. Sorry bro, but you gotta be objective.

We need playmakers. OP made great points and I agree 100%. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm open to that as an approach, but would need to understand specific acquisitions before deciding how to calculate the short term benefit/long term cost. 

Who is the top 10 pick the Falcons would give up two 1s (this and next year)? 

Who are the 2 FA signings that make the difference? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kaptain Krazy said:

I'm open to that as an approach, but would need to understand specific acquisitions before deciding how to calculate the short term benefit/long term cost. 

Who is the top 10 pick the Falcons would give up two 1s (this and next year)? 

Who are the 2 FA signings that make the difference? 

Resign: Ahtyba Rubin

FA signings:   Star Lotulelei, DaQuan Jones, Zach Brown (we keep missing on drafting LBer... Jones is a bonafide stud, but Campbell and Riley are... unimpressive?), Justin Pugh/Josh Sitton (pick one), Zach Line

This FA group would allow us to go into the draft picking BPA with every pick, no first round trade up necessary...

Draft:1 OG (Will Hernandez)/DT (Da'Ron Payne if available)/possibly even a stud LB (Rashaan Evans or Leighton Vander Esch) depending on whom the coaching staff thinks is BPA here... all these guys should be in consideration at 26; LOOOOVE the fact that at least 4 QB's are going to get picked in top 20...leaves LOTS of necessary positional talent for us to choose from...

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think we are that close we just need to continue doing what we are doing it's working.

Going all in just screams of desperation.I don't see that with this team.I see cool calm and calculated that's the sought of moves I hope this FO and coaching staff make.

I get why fans want to hit a home run every period FA Trade and the Draft the desperation is there to see every off season.

For me if we keep knocking like we are the door will open.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Falconcheff said:

Resign: Ahtyba Rubin

FA signings:   Star Lotulelei, DaQuan Jones, Zach Brown (we keep missing on drafting LBer... Jones is a bonafide stud, but Campbell and Riley are... unimpressive?), Justin Pugh/Josh Sitton (pick one), Zach Line

This FA group would allow us to go into the draft picking BPA with every pick, no first round trade up necessary...

Draft:1 OG (Will Hernandez)/DT (Da'Ron Payne if available)/possibly even a stud LB (Rashaan Evans or Leighton Vander Esch) depending on whom the coaching staff thinks is BPA here... all these guys should be in consideration at 26; LOOOOVE the fact that at least 4 QB's are going to get picked in top 20...leaves LOTS of necessary positional talent for us to choose from...

 

Campbell was actually good last year, which gives me hope that maybe Riley can turn it around as well following a poor rookie season. With that being said, Rashaan Evans is a monster and if he's there in the first while the top DT prospects are gone, I'd snag him. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

I remember when Philly went all in with the dream team...that worked right? Or when the giants spent a billion dollars on a defense 2 years ago...or all the years Washington bought a team...

Philly literally did it this year and broke through, wtf are you talking about....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Going "all in" is only remembered in a positive light because of fans choosing to remember the times that it's worked. The reality is far less glamorous. It will be remembered as genius if it works, but if it fails, not only will it be remembered as a failure, but it will likely leave us, at best, in serious difficulty to even contend afterward.

I can agree to some extent, but it's not like loading up in free agency is a ticket punch to the SB.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, D.B.N. said:

Philly won the SB last year and you decide to bring up the year they did the “dream team” in FA. Sorry bro, but you gotta be objective.

We need playmakers. OP made great points and I agree 100%. 

 

10 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Philly literally did it this year and broke through, wtf are you talking about....

Did they really? Looking at their free agent signing list, can one really argue that they went "all in" for 2017? Their free agent signings don't contain any kind of big long term signing. It's mostly short term deals that worked out. Their biggest signings money wise was a 1yr deal. There were 5 of those in total, out of 8 "major" signings, with none being longer than 3 years.

Looking at that, there doesn't seem to be any evidence of them going big and making major signings in free agency. Instead, they just made smart strategic ones, and won largely through their draft picks, supplemented by those said free agents.

His "dream team" example is far more indicative of a time when the Eagles went "all in" than this last season was.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

FTR, I'm not opposed to adding some top tier players to help us get over the hump, but we have to be smart about it. In that regard, last year's Eagles are a great example to follow.

Win with your own picks, but supplement smart free agents to fix the rest.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, D.B.N. said:

Philly won the SB last year and you decide to bring up the year they did the “dream team” in FA. Sorry bro, but you gotta be objective.

We need playmakers. OP made great points and I agree 100%. 

The year they did the dream team is relevant to the OP wanting to buy a team in FA. The team they won the SB with is a completely different team and not one purchased in the offseason (aside from Jeffrey I guess) so very relevant.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...