Hypothetical trade argument

This would never happen so obviously it’s worth discussing... My coworker and I are extremely bored with a long layover. 

Trade Matt Ryan and Devonta Freeman to the Browns for the 1st, 4th, 33rd, and 101 pick.

(Is this enough picks or too many? What’s the value you would set for Ryan and Freeman?)

Ok now the fun part- what combo do you draft to be relevant ASAP (fringe playoffs). Sign a QB and use all the picks? Draft a QB early? What route do you go?

1st-

4th -

26th -

33rd-

58th-

90th-

126-

200-

244-

256-

As much as I love MR2 and Free, I would do it in this draft. So many good QB's and RB's available in this draft. You could go a number of different ways, but Saquon Barkley at #1 and Josh Allen at #4 would set you up nicely. It would free up a lot of cap to go after some veterans as well.

4 hours ago, Akod2017 said:

This would never happen so obviously it’s worth discussing... My coworker and I are extremely bored with a long layover. 

Trade Matt Ryan and Devonta Freeman to the Browns for the 1st, 4th, 33rd, and 101 pick.

(Is this enough picks or too many? What’s the value you would set for Ryan and Freeman?)

Ok now the fun part- what combo do you draft to be relevant ASAP (fringe playoffs). Sign a QB and use all the picks? Draft a QB early? What route do you go?

1st-

4th -

26th -

33rd-

58th-

90th-

126-

200-

244-

256-

Two 1st round picks for Matt.

Matt Ryan has been great for the Falcons, but with the state of the Falcons roster I would make that trade in an instant. We have a ton of great players on both sides of the ball and adding to that at the top of the draft and through FA I believe would be a team that could get by without an "elite" QB.

Barkley on a rookie contract >>>>>> Freeman

Matt Ryan's contract would save enough money to sign any FA guard we wanted, and then some, which would allow the team to lean more on the run game and Barkley while taking a step back at QB (young QB or game manager).  

Would also resign Poe with the extra money and still add dline depth in the late first or early second.

For the first time in franchise history, the Falcons are driving through an open widow to a championship.  The window opened two seasons ago and will probably remain open for another two.  

And some people want to get rid of our top-ten QB and take a risk on a rookie QB.  No thanks.    

9 hours ago, Smiler11 said:

As much as I love MR2 and Free, I would do it in this draft. So many good QB's and RB's available in this draft. You could go a number of different ways, but Saquon Barkley at #1 and Josh Allen at #4 would set you up nicely. It would free up a lot of cap to go after some veterans as well.

I would get flamed for saying that, but I agree.

4 hours ago, IA Falcon07 said:

Matt Ryan has been great for the Falcons, but with the state of the Falcons roster I would make that trade in an instant. We have a ton of great players on both sides of the ball and adding to that at the top of the draft and through FA I believe would be a team that could get by without an "elite" QB.

Matt Ryan's contract would save enough money to sign any FA guard we wanted, and then some, which would allow the team to lean more on the run game and Barkley while taking a step back at QB (young QB or game manager).  

Would also resign Poe with the extra money and still add dline depth in the late first or early second.

I agree with all you said, but Poe

6 hours ago, IA Falcon07 said:

The elephant in the room is your assuming the rookie QB is going to able to guide this team to the big game let alone win the big game.

All this Barkley over Freeman talk is laughable the first mentioned has had a great combine yet all of a sudden a rookie is better than Freeman wake me up.

Yes we would have a truckload of extra money but I feel right now this team is on the right track and is right on the cusp so I don't see how trading the 2 mainstays of the offense not named Julio Jones helps these efforts.

8 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

The elephant in the room is your assuming the rookie QB is going to able to guide this team to the big game let alone win the big game.

All this Barkley over Freeman talk is laughable the first mentioned has had a great combine yet all of a sudden a rookie is better than Freeman wake me up.

Yes we would have a truckload of extra money but I feel right now this team is on the right track and is right on the cusp so I don't see how trading the 2 mainstays of the offense not named Julio Jones helps these efforts.

Barkley was considered an amazing talent before the combine performance was even part of the equation, that was just confirmation. I love Freeman, but I’d be shocked if Barkley wasn’t better and that would be the consensus of 95%+ people.

The trade is only made if the front office thinks there is a capable QB available at #4 or #26. Defense is getting better year to year and there will be a run game to lean on just like there was Matt’s rookie year. The rookie (it could also be a game mananging vet) wouldn’t need to throw for 4500 yards, they’d need to come in and play solid ball while limiting turnovers. 

The possibilities of team composition are almost endless too. Grab Barkley #1 and QB at #4. Could spend the money on free agent guard and Allen Robinson. Draft heavy on defense after. **** could realistically draft Kirk and line up Julio, Allen, Sanu, and Kirk in 4 WR sets with Barkley coming out of the backfield. There would be a miss match on that even a rookie QB could take advantage of.

Or keep Barkley at #1, draft Fitzpatrick at #4 which would allow either him or Rico to play the slot and we probably have a top 3-5 defense next season. Then run with a game manager vet QB.

I agree that there is a premium on QB play, but with an extremely talented roster I think that can be masked especially when it’s possible to pick up impact players at an additional 4-5 positions. The team would have a different composition that doesn’t lean in the QB as heavily.

Ok so this would never happen. It’s an exercise in what you would do to Field the best team. Sorry if I wasn’t clear so all the sour pusses in the thread talking about bailing on Ryan as a sin. 

The idea is simple. What would you do with the cap space and draft picks. I swear it’s the simple minded who just pick out 1 piece of someone’s opinion to crucify.