Jump to content

we saved money and added cap room on Levitre and Bryant contracts


Recommended Posts

Vaughn McClureESPN Staff Writer 

Falcons K Matt Bryant's base salaries in his new three-year deal are the following: $1.1 million (2018), $2.45 million (2019), $2.15 million (2020).

Vaughn McClureESPN Staff Writer 

Falcons LG Andy Levitre's base salary for 2018 now listed at $3.5 million. It had been $7 million prior to yesterday.

Great news , we added some cap room . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

it is not clear to me what we are doing now.  I hope we re-sign Matt before free agency so we can see where we are regarding cap space.  Obviously there is a plan in place - we just don't know what it is.

To me, Michael Bennett made a lot of sense because he is an impact player and he would not be considered in the "comp pick" formula after losing Dontari Poe(likely) and Taylor Gabriel.     Now if we sign someone like OG Andrew Norwell, there will be no comp picks heading our way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, athell said:

The whale being our most important player and once extended will create even more space to sign players with?  That whale?

Yup!  Every day I get on here to whale watch!  Hey guys, if we buy a new Benz on credit then just think of all the extra stuff we can afford right now!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

it is not clear to me what we are doing now.  I hope we re-sign Matt before free agency so we can see where we are regarding cap space.  Obviously there is a plan in place - we just don't know what it is.

To me, Michael Bennett made a lot of sense because he is an impact player and he would not be considered in the "comp pick" formula after losing Dontari Poe(likely) and Taylor Gabriel.     Now if we sign someone like OG Andrew Norwell, there will be no comp picks heading our way.

Rumors floating that Norwell is going to the Giants.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Does Bryant really play through this contract?

See no reason why he doesn't.  Kicking is one of those things that you can do well into your 40s and he has shown no signs of slowing down really.  3 years is doable imo

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Does Bryant really play through this contract?

A few guys have kicked until 45, and the guy still has a stronger leg than anybody I've seen at his age.  Never seen anything like what he did in 2017 from a 40+ kicker.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

it is not clear to me what we are doing now.  I hope we re-sign Matt before free agency so we can see where we are regarding cap space.  Obviously there is a plan in place - we just don't know what it is.

To me, Michael Bennett made a lot of sense because he is an impact player and he would not be considered in the "comp pick" formula after losing Dontari Poe(likely) and Taylor Gabriel.     Now if we sign someone like OG Andrew Norwell, there will be no comp picks heading our way.

I thought you didn’t wanted Bennett?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, FalconOdense said:

I thought you didn’t wanted Bennett?

I didn't want to give up a 3rd or 4th round pick.

Since Seattle got a 5th round pick and some backup WR but had to give a 7th rounder back - my guess would be the issue with Falcons not having a 5th rounder - however we could have offered our 4th rounder and taken a 7th rounder back or something to make the deal work.

I was not willing to give up a 3rd rounder at all and I thought a 4th rounder was a little much but was willing to do it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

it is not clear to me what we are doing now.  I hope we re-sign Matt before free agency so we can see where we are regarding cap space.  Obviously there is a plan in place - we just don't know what it is.

To me, Michael Bennett made a lot of sense because he is an impact player and he would not be considered in the "comp pick" formula after losing Dontari Poe(likely) and Taylor Gabriel.     Now if we sign someone like OG Andrew Norwell, there will be no comp picks heading our way.

Unless it's a player released and affordabe ... we are not messing up our comp picks .... it's zero chance we sign Norwell man

 

I agree tho... Bennett made to much sense

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Slappywhite said:

Vaughn McClureESPN Staff Writer 

Falcons K Matt Bryant's base salaries in his new three-year deal are the following: $1.1 million (2018), $2.45 million (2019), $2.15 million (2020).

Vaughn McClureESPN Staff Writer 

Falcons LG Andy Levitre's base salary for 2018 now listed at $3.5 million. It had been $7 million prior to yesterday.

Great news , we added some cap room . 

Might be a stupid question but is that a straight cap savings of 3.5?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I didn't want to give up a 3rd or 4th round pick.

Since Seattle got a 5th round pick and some backup WR but had to give a 7th rounder back - my guess would be the issue with Falcons not having a 5th rounder - however we could have offered our 4th rounder and taken a 7th rounder back or something to make the deal work.

I was not willing to give up a 3rd rounder at all and I thought a 4th rounder was a little much but was willing to do it.

Yea we wasn't trading a 4th ... we see that as a young contributing player

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I didn't want to give up a 3rd or 4th round pick.

Since Seattle got a 5th round pick and some backup WR but had to give a 7th rounder back - my guess would be the issue with Falcons not having a 5th rounder - however we could have offered our 4th rounder and taken a 7th rounder back or something to make the deal work.

I was not willing to give up a 3rd rounder at all and I thought a 4th rounder was a little much but was willing to do it.

Not me man I started at a 6 for Bennett and while I'm disappointed we missed out I think all is not lost.I think Bennett was more of a want than an out and out need.I think there plan was always refurbishing the d-line in the draft anyway.

G is where the water is murky for me we've been making alot of noise about drafting a G but I'm not sure what round and now they've got the above mentioned to shore up I gotta think something's on the go in FA.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Not me man I started at a 6 for Bennett and while I'm disappointed we missed out I think all is not lost.I think Bennett was more of a want than an out and out need.I think there plan was always refurbishing the d-line in the draft anyway.

G is where the water is murky for me we've been making alot of noise about drafting a G but I'm not sure what round and now they've got the above mentioned to shore up I gotta think something's on the go in FA.

I've never been all that convinced that they are going guard in the 1st or 2nd. Yeah its possible that they could but I can also see the team waiting until the mid rounds also. I also wouldnt be surprised if they traded a 6th round pick for a vet guard.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

To me, Michael Bennett made a lot of sense because he is an impact player and he would not be considered in the "comp pick" formula after losing Dontari Poe(likely) and Taylor Gabriel.     Now if we sign someone like OG Andrew Norwell, there will be no comp picks heading our way.

To be fair, we would've had to lose at least a 4th rounder this year for Bennett, which is worth more than losing a mid-round comp pick next year.  So I don't consider that part a win in getting him over another free-agent. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So, it's a savings of $2.5 million, but he has a chance of earning $1.5 million in incentives.

That 69% of snaps number seemed odd, but I thought I might know why.  According to PFR, Levitre played 68.26% of the snaps last year.  That means that these incentives are considered NLTBE (not likely to be earned), which means any incentives earned would be pushed to next year's cap.

Pretty fair to him, and a good way to get creative with the cap.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, PK Manley said:

So, it's a savings of $2.5 million, but he has a chance of earning $1.5 million in incentives.

That 69% of snaps number seemed odd, but I thought I might know why.  According to PFR, Levitre played 68.26% of the snaps last year.  That means that these incentives are considered NLTBE (not likely to be earned), which means any incentives earned would be pushed to next year's cap.

Pretty fair to him, and a good way to get creative with the cap.

Nice

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, PK Manley said:

So, it's a savings of $2.5 million, but he has a chance of earning $1.5 million in incentives.

That 69% of snaps number seemed odd, but I thought I might know why.  According to PFR, Levitre played 68.26% of the snaps last year.  That means that these incentives are considered NLTBE (not likely to be earned), which means any incentives earned would be pushed to next year's cap.

Pretty fair to him, and a good way to get creative with the cap.

I think that's mainly a... stay healthy on the field... you get paid more..   last year he not only missed 3 games but during the season garland had to step in for him

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...