Jump to content

Rotten Fish Mock 1.0 post combine


MSalmon
 Share

Recommended Posts

Mock draft 1.0

I don’t think that we’re huge players in FA, but I do think we sign a vet DT or two. Most likely two. Here are my “top” signings:

Eric Reid FS, 4 yrs $34m  (I may be dreaming, but why not) I used Malcolm Jenkins contract as baseline. Another guy who revived his career in a new place 

-definitely a controversial signing due to national anthem protest, but nothing suggests that he’s a cancer. Also drives down price a bit.  I think he needs a change of scenery. Some will say that he’s a Strong Safety. I say he’s a combo safety and he can play centerfield much better and still deliver a pop. Watch his rookie vid and then comment on his ability to play centerfield . No more rico suave

AGAIN PROBABLY WONT HAPPEN

 Justin Ellis, NT 6’2” 330 4 yrs $18m

—he’s 27 and doesn’t provide a pass rush, but he’s a more than adequate if not very good run stuffer. I used Derrick Shelby’s contract as a baseline, although I think Ellis will have an incentive laden type deal. 

Courtney Upshaw 1 yr $1.15m

—Upshaw might not make final roster but he’s an insurance deal and low cost.

It’s too early but I could see us signing a FA LB like Kendricks after teams start cutting. My long-shot signing would be Eric Reid for s bumping Rico to NB.

We’ll tender Rico at a second round level. If some team wants him, they’ll have to pay. I’d love to upgrade him, but I’m guessing that we roll with rico, as a nb/sub package guy. He’ll be too expensive beyond this year. 

 

There will be some definite small signings, as usual, but these are the big ones—not very impressive but important signings.

Going into draft I see at this time a few major areas:

  1. Guard...ok, I’m captain obvious here
  2. Defensive tackle. All we have beyond Grady and Crawford are NT types and the ever versatile but not great Rubin
  3. Defensive End....yes, we have Takk and Vic but a Clayborn is gone and we need a big bodied guy who can move inside
  4. Tight End....No Levine. Saubert is athletic and may have progressed, but we still like 3 on roster.
  5. Running back may be a concern, but who knows what we’ll do with Teco. I think this is see what talent falls and grab. Probably a power guy to at least try and unseat Ward.
  6. Secondary. Tru and Alford are great but not a bunch beyond them. I think we lack that long cb that we thought we had in Jalen Collins.

********************************************************************************

TRADE ALERT: Falcons send a 2018 6th rounder and conditional 2019 draft pick to Seahawks for Michael Bennett. The conditional pick can be as high as a 5th rounder

 

Bennett is an upgrade to Clay and plug and play. He also brings intensity and smarts to our young DL. 

 

Now the Draft:

 

Round 1: Isaiah Oliver, CB, Colorado, 6’1” 200 lbs, 4.5 forty

—Bet you all were betting on a DL or OL? Nope. This long (almost 34 inch arms) falls in our lap. This a number 1 type cb. Here’s the numbers:

• Plays the deep ball well. Finished with the No. 11 grade in the nation on passes thrown 20-plus yards in the air. 

-Forced an incompletion on 21.0 percent of targets, 19th-best among

draft-eligible cornerbacks.

folks, this is a much better Jalen Collins. Also, future #1 cb with a fifth year option if Trufant or Rocky declines. Allows us to match up with bigger receivers and athletic TEs

RD 2 Tyrell Crosby 6’5” 325 lbs OT/OG Oregon

—We interviewed and met with him both at Senior bowl and combine.

4 year starter, great moral character. Intelligent and nasty with a powerful punch. Has enough agility and quickness to play inside or RT. Throws LBs like dishrags downfield.

Mountain of a man who may end up the heir apparent to Schraeder if he declines or gets injured. He can move inside in the meantime .

 

We can run behind this dude and if Schraeder gets hurt we still have depth in Harlow and Schweitzer at G, allowing us to shift Crosby outside

ALTERNATE PICK: Braden Smith, G Auburn

RD 3 Mark Andrews, TE Oklahoma 6’5” 256 4.67 forty

—He’s one of those forgotten guys after other TEs like Gesicki and Hurst have great combines. But this guy is a heckuva receiver and a red zone magnet. He averaged 15.8 yds per reception during his career. Knocks on him are his blocking. But look at that OU offense, he was essentially a big receiver. Vandy, you have your move TE

 

TRADE ALERT: John Elway gives a call. He found someone he likes at our #126 overall (4th rounder) and he pays a premium. Denver sends picks 142 and 163 (both 5th rounders) for our 4th rounder

RD 5 (#142 from Denver) Royce Freeman rb, Oregon 5’11” 234

—great vision and size, but had lackluster season due to knee injury. But he had 6.90 3 cone, 4.16 20 yd shuttle and 11.64 60 yd shuttle. These all measure lateral quickness and explosion in small areas. He has a lot of carries during his college years. Also Oregon changed schemes. He’s an underrated pass catcher. 

 

This is a low risk/High reward type pick. If he returns to his sophomore greatness. We got a gem

RD 5 (#163 from Denver) Kentavius Street DE/DT  6’2” 280 lbs, 28 reps on bench press, 4.87 forty

— Every year Tweeners and fall from where projected. Street is another guy that we met with

Street is not long and isn’t a bendy type pass rusher off the edge. But he’s compact and country strong and has a 700 pound squat under his belt. I love his first step, and I think he’s got a chance to be better than average as a base DE that moves inside to three tech. That said, he has nice flexibility that shows up when he does a spin move. This is a guy that might benefit greatly working with a Michael Bennett. Bennett of course went Undrafted.

worst case you bulk him up and move inside permanently.

i also like Street’s mean streak (see vid)...nasty duded 

RD 6: Michael Bennett trade...makes me happy 

RD 6: Ade Aruna, DE/EDGE, Tulane 6’6” 262

- showed explosiveness with 38.5 vert and a 4.6 forty. Still growing, so has frame to end up in 280ish range. Very raw, not a ton of pass rushing moves, and may take a while to develop. Needs to hit weight room, only put up 18 reps. Lots of potential, with right coaching. 

Already shows potential to set the edge. This is a value pick, that we’ll have to develop but the talent is there 

 

 

Rd. 7a Justin Jones DT, NC State 6’2” 315 lbs

—Jones is one of those DTs that gets lost in the shuffle as a JAG. But he’s a wide bodied, strong guy with some athletic ability, he gets overshadowed on that N.C. State line but he’s got a great motor and can get bigger. Might end up being a nice NT type. Yes, we go for DL teammates again. Heck, it worked with Vic and Grady.

RD 7b Chandon Sullivan, 5’11” 195  lbs cb/FS Georgia State

—Sullivan ran  a 4.6 forty, but he had 40.5 inch vertical and 134 inch broad so he has explosion. Intelligent player who may end up best suited as a nb/FS in sub packages 

I’ve seen him play and I just like his field awareness, has good physicality and worth a 7th rounder. He’s chippy and Penn a State didn’t throw towards him

http://www.redskins.com/videos/Georgia-State-CB-Chandon-Sullivan-From-Senior-Bowl/UVA_LB_Micah_Kiser_On_What_He_Wants_To_Show_At_Senior_Bowl/bcde1f64-649e-419d-ab8e-f48d3fc5cd01

That’s it. Fire away. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Love the backend of your draft Freeman reminds me of,  well Freeman , I'd rather see the 1st spent on more of a need . Like the Crosby pick , he brings flexibility , not a big fan of Andrews , but only saw him once against Ga , and he was a non-factor in that game so I may be biased . Like your Fa , I'm guessing you're moving Rico to the slot , he's a nice piece there and he's the braintrust of our secondary .   Justin Ellis is a nice piece for the space eater against the run . Overall nice job . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Slappywhite said:

Love the backend of your draft Freeman reminds me of,  well Freeman , I'd rather see the 1st spent on more of a need . Like the Crosby pick , he brings flexibility , not a big fan of Andrews , but only saw him once against Ga , and he was a non-factor in that game so I may be biased . Like your Fa , I'm guessing you're moving Rico to the slot , he's a nice piece there and he's the braintrust of our secondary .   Justin Ellis is a nice piece for the space eater against the run . Overall nice job . 

Thank you. I’m dreaming on Eric Reid—no rumors, but yeah if that happened I’d see Rico in slot.

itd be tough to pass on Oliver in late first. Great long cb 

i keep seeing a bigger version of our freeman in Rolls Royce Freeman, as well

andrews was more a value pick. I like hurst best

thank you!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Vandy said:

No shred, I appreciate the-outside the-box thinking in the mock part of it.

eric reid isn’t gonna happen though..,and where’s Michael Bennett?

He’s in there. I sent a 2018 6th and 2019 conditional pick.

Im dreaming on Reid. But it’s my dream dammit lol

believe it or not we interviewed almost all of the guys in my mock. Tyrell Crosby we interviewed twice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, WiscoFalcon said:

Ricardo Allen isn't going anywhere. The staff love him - and personally I think he's a good FS - we don't have a spot for Reid. 

I don't see Andrews lasting that long... but it would be a dream. 

I hope that you’re wrong lol but I can live with Rico Suave another year.

Andrews dropped quite a bit with Gesicki, Hurst abc Goeddart having excellent combines.

my favorite is Hurst. But I’m fine as long as we get another TE

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I dont know enough about the college guys to criticize the draft, outside of being anti-1st RD CB at the moment. 

I'm out on Reid at that price. Really, I cant imagine the FO spending that amount of team building capital in the secondary. 

Justin Ellis would be the type of player I'd target. I'm also interested in Beau Allen from the Eagles. Could be a nice value signing if the Eagles association doesnt drive his price up. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ellis isn't someone I'd touch for the cash I'd bring back Rubin for a 1/4 of the price got to remember if we are platooning the spot our NT will only play about 25-30% of snaps.Rubins the guy I'd bring back.

Also wouldnt spend on Reid.Id go Allen one more year look to really fortify the defensive interior and so CB is also a no for me early.

This is the draft we go full court press early at the LOS both sides I see a Bennett trade I do.But I'd also like to grab a Bryan and Hill types out of this draft.

Bryan Hill Bennett Wynn Smith Daniels give me a combo of 3 of those guys  our LOS is set for years.

Ideally for me Bryan Daniels Hill in that order in the draft I'd be laughing to the bank.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think I'm one of the few that would be cool with going CB in round 1. I'd really, really like if the draft turned out this way. Alford is 30 and has a skillset based on athletic traits. No idea when his play is going to take that sudden dip. Atlanta would be wise to have a talented guy waiting in the wings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

I dont know enough about the college guys to criticize the draft, outside of being anti-1st RD CB at the moment. 

I'm out on Reid at that price. Really, I cant imagine the FO spending that amount of team building capital in the secondary. 

Justin Ellis would be the type of player I'd target. I'm also interested in Beau Allen from the Eagles. Could be a nice value signing if the Eagles association doesnt drive his price up. 

Reid is my own pipe dream lol I doubt that we do that either. I tendered Rico either way,

i really like Ellis and Allen. Good lunch pail stout guys that will fortify the middle

the cb in this case was just a BPA on a position where you can always add talent. Tru and rocky are great, Kazee unknown and Poole is what he is. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Arkridge said:

I think I'm one of the few that would be cool with going CB in round 1. I'd really, really like if the draft turned out this way. Alford is 30 and has a skillset based on athletic traits. No idea when his play is going to take that sudden dip. Atlanta would be wise to have a talented guy waiting in the wings.

Thank you. And, yeah, that factored into my thinking. Plus, Jalen came in handy when tru went down. Oliver is better than Jalen imo 

thanks for comments

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Ellis isn't someone I'd touch for the cash I'd bring back Rubin for a 1/4 of the price got to remember if we are platooning the spot our NT will only play about 25-30% of snaps.Rubins the guy I'd bring back.

Also wouldnt spend on Reid.Id go Allen one more year look to really fortify the defensive interior and so CB is also a no for me early.

This is the draft we go full court press early at the LOS both sides I see a Bennett trade I do.But I'd also like to grab a Bryan and Hill types out of this draft.

Bryan Hill Bennett Wynn Smith Daniels give me a combo of 3 of those guys  our LOS is set for years.

Ideally for me Bryan Daniels Hill in that order in the draft I'd be laughing to the bank.

Why don’t you like Ellis? I’d bring Rubin back as well for the right price.

reid is a pipe dream. He’s a great fit but I even doubt that we do that.

I did address the line. Watch Crosby. We’ve met with him twice now. He’s a stud. Daniels goes early. 

Most definitely Bennett. You scouted Street? He moves inside flawlessly. Our secondary, at cb, needs fortifying 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, etherdome said:

Not sure about the FA moves, but I like your draft.  I think Stanford's Schultz would be a good alternative in the 3rd round.  

Tbh, FA moves are speculations at this point. I do think we end up with a vet DT or two, regardless.

i kinda like Schultz. We’ve been scouting and meeting with Hurst

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, MSalmon said:

Why don’t you like Ellis? I’d bring Rubin back as well for the right price.

reid is a pipe dream. He’s a great fit but I even doubt that we do that.

I did address the line. Watch Crosby. We’ve met with him twice now. He’s a stud. Daniels goes early. 

Most definitely Bennett. You scouted Street? He moves inside flawlessly. Our secondary, at cb, needs fortifying 

Bennetts off the table now.

I believe we can't afford to carry these mid tier contracts anymore if I'm honest you got Reid and Ellis on those.

This only re-enforces to me it's LOS or bust in this draft for the Falcons.

Seen Street but if you get Bryan and Hill bring back Rubin on a short term deal you spend half the money to get the same job done

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, MSalmon said:

In this offense, no real loss. He wasn’t very effective last year. Another move TE imo will be better utilized. Sark likes those two TE sets

I disagree.   He still was a factor.   But we still lost a wr..   you have to replace a WR at least somewhere.     I think a Keke coutee would fit this offense 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, falconfanEST1989 said:

I disagree.   He still was a factor.   But we still lost a wr..   you have to replace a WR at least somewhere.     I think a Keke coutee would fit this offense 

Cool. This mock is a bust. Bennett went to the iggles 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...