Slappywhite

Post combine mock draft

49 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I like all the players - I just don't think we can spend 3 of our 4 premium picks for basically 1.5 positions - given all the other needs on the roster.   One of the 3 DT slots we need to replace will be a cheap free agent.   The other two?  probably use a 1st and 4th or a 2nd and 4th for those spots.   Keep in mind, we don't have a true #3 Cornerback on this team, either.   Kazee and Poole are nickel backs but not really true corners - Jalen Collins was let go and never replaced.   We need another TE unless Saubert really steps up - which seems doubtful.  We need another receiver, we need a fullback - either this year or next, we need another running back.   Lots of needs and not many dollars to chase them with in free agency.

A lot of work for Quinn + TD to do in figuring all those kind of things out. 

Poe is a huge (no pun intended) loss...

We’re in better shape than most teams, just need a better offseason than the last one (meh draft + letting DiMarco and Aldrick Robinson walk and not adequately replacing them together with Chester and Tamme etc )

gesicki wont make it to the 2nd.

i like

phillips in the 1st

braden smith in the 2nd

and best te available in the 3rd hopefully mark andrews

On 3/5/2018 at 4:17 PM, Slappywhite said:

Rd 1   Taven Bryan DT  Florida  -  fills a position of need while getting a guy with a strong motor , relentless and talented 

Rd 2  Mike Gesicki   TE   Penn , St -   killed at the combine , I mocked him in the 3rd  , 1st go round , after his combine , hope he's still on the board in 2nd

Rd 3  Frank Ragnow C/G  Ark  - fills another need and hasn't allowed a sack in 2 years , big and tough , can replace Mack when he retires 

Rd 4  Kalen Ballage  RB Az St-  Tough and fast runner , can play FB , that guy who can get that yard when we need it .  

Rd 5- traded for a Sombrero 

Rd 6- trade to Seattle along with next years 6th  for Bennett

Rd 7a Desmond Harrison W Ga  ,  OT  Huge guy with speed ,  not sure he;ll still be around but be a steal here 

Rd 7b  The Mr Irrelevent pick , means 1st choice of all the UFA's , you pick the best guy here who has no plans   of signing with u 

This would be a nice draft. I’m like Vandy and could see Bryan as he can play inside 3 tech and base DE. He’s replacing Shelby, but in reality he’s what we hoped Hageman would be. Never hurts to add that type of specimen. 

Id love Gesicki, not sure he slips, but Hurst or some TE will be there, good positional pick.

check on ragnew. I figure a G somewhere in the first 3 rounds.

im not as big a ballage fan, but I could see this being a good spot for a rb.

love the trade for Bennett.

i might go for a DT in 7a or b...but not a bad spot for OT either.

im assuming in your scenario we sign a vet or even two NT/DT like Rubin? 

17 hours ago, Vandy said:

A lot of work for Quinn + TD to do in figuring all those kind of things out. 

Poe is a huge (no pun intended) loss...

We’re in better shape than most teams, just need a better offseason than the last one (meh draft + letting DiMarco and Aldrick Robinson walk and not adequately replacing them together with Chester and Tamme etc )

Bryan barely played outside at UF. I almost see him as what we all thought Hageman could have been. Athletic, long and strong. Obviously, he could play that big Base DE, but he looks best inside.

I agree that finding an elite NT is tough, but the fact is there are plenty of adequate and affordable options usually available. 

And, Bryan like most rookies will have growing pains and take time to develop 

kiwifalcon and Vandy like this

3 hours ago, MSalmon said:

This would be a nice draft. I’m like Vandy and could see Bryan as he can play inside 3 tech and base DE. He’s replacing Shelby, but in reality he’s what we hoped Hageman would be. Never hurts to add that type of specimen. 

Id love Gesicki, not sure he slips, but Hurst or some TE will be there, good positional pick.

check on ragnew. I figure a G somewhere in the first 3 rounds.

im not as big a ballage fan, but I could see this being a good spot for a rb.

love the trade for Bennett.

i might go for a DT in 7a or b...but not a bad spot for OT either.

im assuming in your scenario we sign a vet or even two NT/DT like Rubin? 

Oh yeah,  a space eater is needed , Rubin did Ok , and we  may not be able to upgrade that position this year , unless the market for Poe isnt what he hopes it to be , that and a LB , WR and CB should be our FA targets .  

Just now, Slappywhite said:

Oh yeah,  a space eater is needed , Rubin did Ok , and we  may not be able to upgrade that position this year , unless the market for Poe isnt what he hopes it to be , that and a LB , WR and CB should be our FA targets .  

We chatted with both BJ Hill and Justin Jones . 

My mock is up, I predicted signing Justin Ellis and drafting Justin Jones

Slappywhite and Vandy like this

1 minute ago, MSalmon said:

We chatted with both BJ Hill and Justin Jones . 

My mock is up, I predicted signing Justin Ellis and drafting Justin Jones

Love both those NC st guys ,  but they seem like a pair for some reason to me , like they kinda need to be together.  I have no idea why I feel that way . 

8 minutes ago, Slappywhite said:

Love both those NC st guys ,  but they seem like a pair for some reason to me , like they kinda need to be together.  I have no idea why I feel that way . 

Me too. Just feels right

5 minutes ago, MSalmon said:

Me too. Just feels right

Liked your draft , u drafted  half of that front four  didnt notice, but they must have had a very nice D last year .  

10 minutes ago, Slappywhite said:

Liked your draft , u drafted  half of that front four  didnt notice, but they must have had a very nice D last year .  

Thanks, bro. I went off of our visits 

Slappywhite likes this

4 hours ago, MSalmon said:

Bryan barely played outside at UF. I almost see him as what we all thought Hageman could have been. Athletic, long and strong. Obviously, he could play that big Base DE, but he looks best inside.

I agree that finding an elite NT is tough, but the fact is there are plenty of adequate and affordable options usually available. 

Great point on what we hoped Hageman to be. Imagine where this team might be if he and Collins had reached their potential?

Slappywhite likes this

1 minute ago, Vandy said:

Great point on what we hoped Hageman to be. Imagine where this team might be if he and Collins had reached their potential?

Not looking for another long cb and a DT lol

sad, how those two turned out. Bryan would be a good pick. I toyed between selecting him or Oliver in my mock. But we need a long cb as well

Slappywhite likes this

1 minute ago, MSalmon said:

Not looking for another long cb and a DT lol

sad, how those two turned out. Bryan would be a good pick. I toyed between selecting him or Oliver in my mock. But we need a long cb as well

26 is a little high for him, but Bryan’s still very much my favorite in being our 1st pick. He had a nice combine.

Slappywhite and kiwifalcon like this

1 minute ago, Vandy said:

26 is a little high for him, but Bryan’s still very much my favorite in being our 1st pick. He had a nice combine.

I’d be fine “reaching” at #26

We need a good press long cb as well 

Vandy likes this

51 minutes ago, Slappywhite said:

Rubin was no all pro, but the defense seemed showed great improvement last year when he arrived to fill a missing piece. Just having competent space eaters makes a difference.

Vandy, Slappywhite and kiwifalcon like this

1 minute ago, Doctor Kildare said:

Rubin was no all pro, but the defense seemed showed great improvement last year when he arrived to fill a missing piece. Just having competent space eaters makes a difference.

And adds great value , for what he would cost us ,  

18 hours ago, MSalmon said:

I like Bryan for what you mentioned but I swear every game I watched of his this guy was still charging in the 4 th qtr can't buy guy's with motors like that.

The fact of the matter is we'll be in the nickel probably 65-70% of the time so I see Bryan basically playing inside for the most part with Jarrett both shading the outside shoulders of the opposing Gs.

Bennie Logan is also out there as another NT option but I'd wait and see on that one.

Slappywhite and Vandy like this

18 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

I like Bryan for what you mentioned but I swear every game I watched of his this guy was still charging in the 4 th qtr can't buy guy's with motors like that.

The fact of the matter is we'll be in the nickel probably 65-70% of the time so I see Bryan basically playing inside for the most part with Jarrett both shading the outside shoulders of the opposing Gs.

Bennie Logan is also out there as another NT option but I'd wait and see on that one.

like the Logan thought , we considered him last year. 

2 hours ago, Slappywhite said:

like the Logan thought , we considered him last year. 

Stole it from bobby digital and KoG can't take credit.

Slappywhite likes this

On 3/6/2018 at 1:48 PM, g-dawg said:

I like all the players - I just don't think we can spend 3 of our 4 premium picks for basically 1.5 positions - given all the other needs on the roster.   One of the 3 DT slots we need to replace will be a cheap free agent.   The other two?  probably use a 1st and 4th or a 2nd and 4th for those spots.   Keep in mind, we don't have a true #3 Cornerback on this team, either.   Kazee and Poole are nickel backs but not really true corners - Jalen Collins was let go and never replaced.   We need another TE unless Saubert really steps up - which seems doubtful.  We need another receiver, we need a fullback - either this year or next, we need another running back.   Lots of needs and not many dollars to chase them with in free agency.

Looking back you nailed it on the cb pick 

3 hours ago, Slappywhite said:

Looking back you nailed it on the cb pick 

I guess I did, huh? :D

I thought it obvious at the time as I believed too many placed too much confidence in Poole - who is a good role player but not someone you want as your #3 CB.  While Poole still maybe at first during Oliver’s rook year, the plan is to upgrade Poole and hopefully Oliver will do just that.

Slappywhite and djbrough like this