The reason why Michael Bennett is a Perfect Fit

atljbo

The Money

Ive seen some say why didn’t we go after Quinn….. Quinn Cap hit for this new season is 11,444,412  and in 2019  its  12,932,332 ….. We simply cant afford that with the young bulls we have to pay in the next upcoming years ….. With Bennett this upcoming year his cap hit is 6,650,000 and for 2019 and 2020 its  7,000,000, 8,500,000.

The Fit

While I know Quinn is a **** of a speed rusher… **** that’s what I see Vic turning into…. Both are one trick ponys but that’s one **** of a truck but with Bennett, We know he fits the scheme .,.. Also with Quinn being a pure DE he would def take away a lot of snaps from our young guys … Bennett having the ability to rush from the inside doesn’t take away the 50-60% of the snaps  our young guys should receive… That would also give us the ability to have Takk, Jarrett, Bennett, Beasley rushing the passer in crunch time.

The Role

I know some don’t like that Bennett is 32 years old but Calais Campbell is 31 … Both performed at a probowl level this last year… Last year Bennett played over 900 snaps last year ….. Bennett Played over 50 snaps per game in 15 of the 16 last year…. As a example of our scheme and the roles in our scheme… Clayborn played the most snaps as our DE/DT (combo guy) … Clayborn played 40 or more snaps in 5 games out of the 16 games …. My point is Bennett is performing at a probowl level at his name and being on a good pitch count… I could see him performing at that level for atleast 2 more years.

Conclusion

I know some don’t like his stance on some things and ill admit he does some dirty **** at times…. I remember when this board loved how Dahl would do some dirty things .. That mad him a nasty player we all love …  I feel like for our need Bennett fits what we need at the right time…. Believe it or not I think he would be very good for Takk and Vic…. Ive heard he is ULTRA smart  and a big time film guy .. I think could help Vic and Takk … I can see this *** a Tony Gonzalez type pickup…. A vet performing at a high level while bringing something much needed to his side of the ball.

The real question is compensation ... Chris Mortenson confirmed something i was told .... Right now draft picks are gold to us... With us having to pay our young core guys in the next coming years, We have to draft guys (cheap players) that can come in and play... We cant afford to have many mid level guys.... Today Chris Mortenson said the seahawks would probably take a 4th but we are not going to offer more then the 6th rounder... I get it ... In this draft you may not have mega stars but i do like the depth at some positions ... I think some solid players can be had in the 3rd and 4th rounds

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

glad to hear that Falcons don't want to give up much - tried to tell others we just cannot flush draft picks anymore - we need replacement players on rook deals to take spots to replace the mid-level vets that we can no longer afford to pay.

My guess is if no one else bites on Michael Bennett - Seahawks GM will call Dimitroff just before he is about to cut him to see if he can get whatever he can get.   6th rounder or what have you.   At that point, we probably do it just because the contract is in place and no competition for services - if they think they can get him cheaper, then maybe they risk letting Bennett go to UFA and then picking him up that way.

of course all it takes is one other team to offer Seahawks more - i'm OK w/ it - let's hold firm.

He wants out apparently and Seattle wants to avoid paying him $3mil around March 19th if he is still on their roster and then trade him anyway. It's better to make a deal and why the Falcons shouldn't get into a high trade piece war. I'd offer no more than a 4th. Just my opinion. Valuable but Seahawks/Bennett are the ones that want to move. He could say "I'll restructure to make a trade easier" for a team like Atlanta if he prefers a reunion with Quinn. Just gotta get 'Hawks to let it happen. They basically want something instead of nothing.

Edited by Ergo Proxy

1 minute ago, Ergo Proxy said:

He wants out apparently and Seattle wants to avoid paying him $3mil around March 19th if he is still on their roster and then trade him anyway. It's better to make a deal and why the Falcons shouldn't get into a high trade piece war. I'd offer no more than a 4th. Just my opinion.

yeah, now that I think about it, the closer it gets to March 19th, the less leverage the Seahawks have.  If they aren't getting any other offers, we should just let it ride - maybe we can re-sign him on the cheap.   He wouldn't count against "comp pick formula" would he?

Just now, g-dawg said:

yeah, now that I think about it, the closer it gets to March 19th, the less leverage the Seahawks have.  If they aren't getting any other offers, we should just let it ride - maybe we can re-sign him on the cheap.   He wouldn't count against "comp pick formula" would he?

Colts and Bucs are also in the mix. I doubt he is going to Colts. 

Just now, falcons007 said:

Colts and Bucs are also in the mix. I doubt he is going to Colts. 

yeah, I seriously doubt he wants to go to either of those teams - maybe the Bucs since he started his career there.   Right now, it is likely all posturing - with two weeks until the signing bonus is due, no urgency right now.

Off topic, but the Seahawks are the perfect example of why we must take advantage of our window. Those guys were primed year in and out for a SB run and now they're half injured with guys wanting out. They got their ring, but should have had another.

We cannot keep waiting. 

2 minutes ago, Clark Kent™ said:

Hail no. I am PRAYING we don't add this scum bag to our team. Its one thing to be like Harvey Dahl and be nasty on the field and playing through the whistle. Its another thing to be a racist and a liar and all around piece of chit like he is.

How quickly we forget that he completely made up the story about the Vegas police "racially profiling" him and how he looked like a complete jack *** once witnesses and police told a version completely different and video supported their versions. Thats a big deal. Especially with the way things are in the world now. To try and exploit that is truly disgusting. 

I do not want Bennett just because he is a piece of chit. I love his game. I just can not be ok with signing a person of his character. 

I thought it was very weird for a 30 plus year man to do that for high fives on social media. 

17 minutes ago, texasfalconfan said:

playing devils advocate for a moment. since his cap hit is not that high why would seattle be trading him, unless there is something going on we dont know about. maybe hea planning on holding out, or maybe he has a physical issue that noone knows about

the seahawks have young guys they need to resign.... i think they want to get younger ... their stars are old ....

They gave up a 2nd round pick to get Sheldon Richardson.... Dude is a FA and looking to get PAID.... Its the same as they are letting Jimmy Graham (who most on this board want) walk..... They are trying to trade Earl Thomas.

So i get your question,.. I just think they are simply remaking there team.. They have Frank Clark (who will be getting 14+ mil after this up coming season.. Their OLine is ******... Brown their LT has to be paid.... They have nooo RB

And with Bennett contract.. Its cheaper for us because the  signing bonus wont count against us since its already paid but it does count against the seahawks cap... So for them his cap hit this coming year is 8.3 mil

21 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

@atljbo  - did you write this?  what is source - looks like maybe you copy/paste?

I wrote this on my phone at work ... thats why i think the font was funky... idk.. but i wrote this

23 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

glad to hear that Falcons don't want to give up much - tried to tell others we just cannot flush draft picks anymore - we need replacement players on rook deals to take spots to replace the mid-level vets that we can no longer afford to pay.

My guess is if no one else bites on Michael Bennett - Seahawks GM will call Dimitroff just before he is about to cut him to see if he can get whatever he can get.   6th rounder or what have you.   At that point, we probably do it just because the contract is in place and no competition for services - if they think they can get him cheaper, then maybe they risk letting Bennett go to UFA and then picking him up that way.

of course all it takes is one other team to offer Seahawks more - i'm OK w/ it - let's hold firm.

Yea .. Thats why i would not be surprise if we trade back in the first round... Again we dont have any MAJOR needs but at the same time with us not being able to pay many mid-level guys... We do need affordable players that can fit roles/depth

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/422927/ledbetter-bennett-to-atlanta-would-be-good-deal-for-falcons/

Ledbetter: Bennett to Atlanta ‘would be good deal for Falcons’

Do the Atlanta Falcons have interest in a trade for Michael Bennett?

ESPN reported last week that Seattle’s veteran defensive end was on the trade block. Adding fuel to the rumors is D. Orlando Ledbetter of the Atlanta Journal Constitution, who has since reported that Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff has talked with Seahawks general manager John Schneider about a potential trade for Bennett.

Clayton: Takeaways from Seahawks at combine

“No question about it, they definitely have called John Schneider and discussed the parameters of a deal,” Ledbetter told John Clayton during an interview on 710 ESPN Seattle Monday morning.

“Nothing is imminent right now. But he certainly would fit the Falcons, who are losing Dontari Poe in free agency, and Adrian Clayborn’s also a free agent. He’d definitely fit within (their) scheme.”

A trade would reunite Bennett with his former defensive coordinator Dan Quinn, now the head coach of the Falcons.

Seattle is without a second- or third-round pick in the NFL draft after trading both away in deals for defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson and left tackle Duane Brown. The Falcons would be unlikely to part with a high pick – but would they consider trading a fourth-rounder for Bennett and a late round pick from Seattle?

“They certainly (could) take that,” Ledbetter said. “The fourth, it’s a key spot for them. They feel their roster doesn’t have many holes. They’re going to probably keep their first, second and third (because) they gave up their second last year to draft (Takkarist) McKinley. So, the Falcons do find value in the fourth, but when you get a player of Bennett’s caliber, even if it’s for just a couple years here, the fourth-round pick is not going to be Michael Bennett. So that’ll be a good deal for the Falcons.”

‘We’re open to anything’

Schneider was asked whether Bennett was part of trade talks during a press conference at the combine last week.

“I was reading about that last night,” Schneider told reporters. “We don’t get into peoples’ contracts, but I understand why that’s out there. The combine’s really developed into a lot more of … kind of like the baseball meetings. I’ve been here since Monday night and I’ve literally been in meetings the whole time. We’re just constantly talking to people all the time.

“Part of our challenge right now is, and I don’t know how to say this appropriately, is sustaining our level of success that we’ve had. And we’re just open to anything.”

Bennett, 32, originally signed with the Seahawks as an undrafted free agent in 2009. While he was waived by Seattle and later signed with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Bennett eventually returned to the Seahawks in 2013. Seattle signed defensive end Cliff Avril in the same year, and together, the pair become arguably becamse the best free agent acquisitions in Seahawks history.

In five seasons with the Seahawks, Bennett has 39 sacks and 131 tackles, along with seven forced fumbles and one touchdown. He is a three-time Pro Bowler and was a member of the Seahawks’ Super Bowl XLVIII and Super Bowl XLIX rosters.

the john clayton show D-Led was on

John Clayton said it sound like Clayborn will get 9-10 mil a year

Got dam people are so divided like Trump and Hillary on this Michael Bennett debate, and I know that's an old outdated analogy but I'm dead serious. It's getting irritating to me. I don't give af about politics or players' views across the in the NFL. If Michael Bennett gives us our best chance to win and adds fire to our defense, then get 'em, especially with the relationship Dan Quinn has with him. 

Edited by mqg96

Like usual, you’re dead on with everything. When I initially learned of us pursuing him, I thought about the things you mentioned and in 5 minutes decided it makes too much sense.. I’m extremely confident this deal gets done. And I think we end up snagging him for our 6th honestly 

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

I agree.  Remember that Bennett does not play a passive role in this circumstance.  Any team that wants to trade for him will get his opinion of the trade.  Bennett is supposed to be a Quinn guy and if that is true, the Seahawks may have a situation that mandates a trade with Atlanta.  

The Seahawks want to create cap space and they want to be free of Bennett.  We should just sit tight and remain firm with our offer:  a late sixth rounder.  

23 minutes ago, mqg96 said:

Got dam people are so divided like Trump and Hillary on this Michael Bennett debate, and I know that's an old outdated analogy but I'm dead serious. It's getting irritating to me. I don't give af about politics or players' views across the in the NFL. If Michael Bennett gives us our best chance to win and adds fire to our defense, then get 'em, especially with the relationship Dan Quinn has with him. 

I did not like Jane Fonda's politics too much, but it did not stop me from being a Braves fan when they won the World Series.