Basketball coaching rumors

Unknøwn

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

If thad motta is healthy he should be our number 1 choice. 

3 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

His "friends" have said Matta is healthy now. They say he's healthy, rejuvenated and ready to return. They did add he won't take just any job. 

Oh please UGA make this man happen to become our next coach. 

I’ll never understand why UGA doesn’t just go out and get a great coach for basketball. With all the b-ball talent in the Atlanta area in particular, the football program becoming one of if not the hottest programs in the country, all the attention that comes with that... a school with a reasonable path to the NCAA tournament. You’d think it would be an appealing job to a lot of good coaches. 

I just don’t trust them to make it happen. The big boosters don’t care enough about basketball to force a change like they did in football and Howdy Doody AD Greg McGarity is incompetent at best. 

4 hours ago, 007dawg said:

Isn't that where he and Jarvis transferred to UGA from?   Good for him if he can get a HC job.  

Yep.. that job isn't a good job, but it's still a head coaching job..  Jonas might wait for a better job, but since he was there first he might take a shot at it. 

Memphis is leaning toward firing Tubby Smith. They're believed to be working on a deal with Penny Hardaway to replace Tubby. Penny has already asked Larry Brown to be his assistant HC. Brown is reportedly seriously considering it. Hardaway is currently the HC at a high school in Memphis. Hardaway's high school team has 3 of the top 40 prospects for 2019 on it.

On 3/4/2018 at 2:16 PM, Carter said:

I’ll never understand why UGA doesn’t just go out and get a great coach for basketball. With all the b-ball talent in the Atlanta area in particular, the football program becoming one of if not the hottest programs in the country, all the attention that comes with that... a school with a reasonable path to the NCAA tournament. You’d think it would be an appealing job to a lot of good coaches. 

I just don’t trust them to make it happen. The big boosters don’t care enough about basketball to force a change like they did in football and Howdy Doody AD Greg McGarity is incompetent at best. 

What are the basketball facilities like at UGA? I've never been to a basketball game there, but went to see the beautiful campus in Athens around 2000. Athens is a great college town, which I can't help but think would be appealing to a good basketball coach. Does UGA have good fan support in basketball? I rarely see them on tv, aside from when UT plays down there. 

Pitt has fired Kevin Stallings after a horrendous two year run. This season Pitt went 0-18 in ACC play and 8-24 overall. Stallings managed 24 wins in two seasons. Stallings was a terrible choice from the day he was hired. He was on the verge of being fired by Vandy and was handed a tough job in a real tough conference in an area he had zero recruiting roots in.

2 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

UConn has fired Kevin Ollie. Ollie won the 2014 National Championship in his first year. He did that with Jim Calhoun's roster. Ollie went 30-33 the last two seasons with rosters of his players. 

Bet they go after Hurley. 

12 hours ago, UGABOZ said:

give me pitino but if not greg mashall but looks more and more like ole crean

Gregg Marshall used to be a southeastern coach who seemed destined for the SEC. Tennessee had a chance to hire him in 2001 to replace Jerry Green, but AD Doug Dickey brilliantly rejected Marshall in favor of the coaching phenom Buzz Peterson.

Marshall is never leaving Wichita State unless it's a Kentucky, Duke, UNC type of school. He's making $3.3M a year and is king of his domain there. UGA wasn't even paying close to that for Fox. Wichita State also just joined  a legitimate conference.