Today's media mock drafts

Tony Pauline of Draft Analyst has a two round mock draft with a first round pick that I think would disappoint many Falcon fans.

Atlanta Falcons

Derwin James

S

Florida State

Analysis: James is great value and a terrific complement to Keanu Neal.

In Pauline's draft the Falcons just miss Isaiah Wynn. Second round he has the Falcons pick Georgia Bulldog DT Trenton Thompson. Pauline's draft is a "combination of staying close to our board and a combination of what I’ve been told from around the league."

http://draftanalyst.com/monday-musings-pre-combine-two-rounder

Chris Trapasso of CBS Sports who I am not sure is a national writer or a local reporter for the Giants and Eagles has

ATL.png26. Atlanta Falcons

Maurice Hurst, DT, Michigan. Hurst playing next to Grady Jarrett would provide the Falcons with one of the best young interior pass-rushing duos in football

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-mock-draft-josh-allen-to-giants-usc-rb-ronald-jones-lands-with-eagles/

ATLANTA FALCONS:TIM SETTLEDT | VIRGINIA TECH

Tim Settle | Virginia Tech

The Falcons have a stout, Top 10 run defense but they face the possibility of losing Dontari Poe as a free agent in the offseason.  Even if Poe is retained some additional depth is still be needed on the interior.

Settle, a redshirt sophomore, is flying under radar but that will change once everyone gets a closer look at his tape and after he posts some eye-popping numbers in workouts.  Settle is a massive presence along the defensive line at 6’3” and 335 pounds who can stuff the run and push the pocket.  Settle is also surprisingly athletic and offers more pass rush ability than you’d expect.

Conditioning has been an issue for Settle and his weight must be monitored, but prospects with such a unique blend of size, quickness and agility don’t come around very often.  Versatility is an added bonus as Settle could play in a 4-3 or 3-4 scheme and might even be able to see action as a five-technique in an odd front.

Team Needs:  DT | OG | DB

ATLANTA FALCONS:BRIAN O'NEILLOT | PITTSBURGH

Athletic former tight end to be a replacement at guard, be it for Andy Levitre or Wes Schweitzer.

Brian O'Neill

http://www.draftcountdown.com/mock-draft/2018-mock-draft/round-2-2018-mock-draft-2/

Scott is thinking like me in my last draft except I had Austin Corbett rd 2. I like Corbett better than O'Neill.

1 hour ago, ike barn87987 said:
ATLANTA FALCONS:TIM SETTLEDT | VIRGINIA TECH

Tim Settle | Virginia Tech

The Falcons have a stout, Top 10 run defense but they face the possibility of losing Dontari Poe as a free agent in the offseason.  Even if Poe is retained some additional depth is still be needed on the interior.

Settle, a redshirt sophomore, is flying under radar but that will change once everyone gets a closer look at his tape and after he posts some eye-popping numbers in workouts.  Settle is a massive presence along the defensive line at 6’3” and 335 pounds who can stuff the run and push the pocket.  Settle is also surprisingly athletic and offers more pass rush ability than you’d expect.

Conditioning has been an issue for Settle and his weight must be monitored, but prospects with such a unique blend of size, quickness and agility don’t come around very often.  Versatility is an added bonus as Settle could play in a 4-3 or 3-4 scheme and might even be able to see action as a five-technique in an odd front.

Team Needs:  DT | OG | DB

ATLANTA FALCONS:BRIAN O'NEILLOT | PITTSBURGH

Athletic former tight end to be a replacement at guard, be it for Andy Levitre or Wes Schweitzer.

Brian O'Neill

http://www.draftcountdown.com/mock-draft/2018-mock-draft/round-2-2018-mock-draft-2/

Scott is thinking like me in my last draft except I had Austin Corbett rd 2. I like Corbett better than O'Neill.

I like that one a lot better than the two I posted. I think Settle complements Grady more than Hurst and for both short term and long term, we need to get more young talent at guard.

3 hours ago, Knight of God said:

That would be amazing. The Panthers like him too. He is a top FREE SAFETY prospect. He can be used at either spot. These days its interchangeable.

I know you've played a bit of safety KOG, but I have to respectively disagree. In most schemes yes the FS and SS are largely interchangeable, but in cover 3 and cover 1, which we predominately use, they have very different roles.

James is an amazing prospect and could probably get by in any system, but having him man the deep zone wouldn't be playing to his strengths.

10 hours ago, Smiler11 said:

I know you've played a bit of safety KOG, but I have to respectively disagree. In most schemes yes the FS and SS are largely interchangeable, but in cover 3 and cover 1, which we predominately use, they have very different roles.

James is an amazing prospect and could probably get by in any system, but having him man the deep zone wouldn't be playing to his strengths.

Oh he can do it. 

On 2/26/2018 at 3:11 PM, Smiler11 said:

I'm not sure Derwin James is a compliment to Neal, more like an upgrade. That is unless you move one to LB or big nickel, which I wouldn't be against. 

Neither would be a good fit playing the deep zone however.

Say what?

james and Neal pairs together Back there would be amazing.

James won’t still be there, but if he was, I would ******* run (not walk) to the podium.

3 hours ago, Summerhill said:

I can't help but think James is a NFL SS. He's bigger than Keanu Neal. 

He is. Spent most of his time on or at the line scrimage at FSU. I think Dan Quinn would find ways of getting Neal and James on the field together, but Rico would still be a better option as the single high