King Jigsaw

The King Has Mocked - Ring Rust

20 posts in this topic

Greetings, fellow Falcons fans. This is the first one of these I've done in quite some time, so I do hope you'll forgive me for any 'ring rust' and any loss of quality in this attempt as opposed to what you guys are used to seeing from me in years past. I'll admit that I haven't been as active in the sporting world over the last year but I'm trying to get caught back up before the draft rolls around. Just in doing some research these are some of the players that I would like to see in Atlanta come next season. As always, I appreciate any questions, comments, concerns - provided they are adding to worthwhile discussion. Let's get started with the players I don't see joining us on our Lombardi run..

Cut:

• Matt Schaub, QB (+$3.25M) - We don't have too many cut candidates on our team, as I'd like to keep Brooks Reed around. Schaub is a little too pricy for how little he is needed. I'd like to get younger and cheaper at the backup QB position. Someone with their best years ahead of the needs to be obtained.

Let Walk:

• Taylor Gabriel, WR - Until Sark can prove capable of feeding so many weapons, there is no need for us to try and afford all of them. Let him go to SF if that's where he wants to be.
  • Andre Roberts, WR - The hunt for a reliable and dangerous returner continues. Andre didn't do enough to earn another contract with the Falcons.
  • Adrian Clayborn, DE - The inflated sack totals from the Dallas game might inflate his pricetag as well. Not interested in paying those prices.
  • Courtney Upshaw, DE - It hurts losing another talent on the D-Line but Upshaw can be replaced. Quinn will continue to build his team mainly through the draft.
  • Derrick Coleman, FB - The loss of Dimarco was felt with the trash play we saw from the position this season. An upgrade is coming.

Re-Sign:

• Matt Bryant, K - Until Father Time catches him, he's a Falcon.
  • Dontari Poe, DT - I think he earned the deal that he's going to receive this offseason. Grady and Poe continue to eat.
  • Kemal Ishmael, LB/S - This is one of the most important signings for us. He can fill in at LB or S and knows this entire defense very well.
  • Nick Williams, WR - This is a cheap signing for a guy who is familiar with Matt and the offense. If he gets beat out in camp, so be it.
  • Blidi Wreh-Wilson, CB - Same as with Nick Williams, we need CB depth and BWW is familiar with out scheme. If he gets beat out by a rookie, that's only a good thing.

Free Agency:

• -Xavier Su’a-Filo, OG, Texans
    • Height: 6'4" Weight: 310 lbs.
    • Majorly labeled as a bust thus far, could really benefit from a change in scenery. Will likely come on a short-term deal to compete with the other Guards on roster. With Harlow, Su'a-Filo, and incumbent Schweitzer all vying for the starting RG position, may the best man win.
  • -Ross Cockrell, CB, Giants
    • Height: 6'0" Weight: 191 lbs.
    • Cockrell has proven over the last  couple of seasons that he's capable of coming in and playing well when needed, but is still likely in the reserve DB realm. With his size and experience, I'd like to pay him a modest contract over the next few years that is laden with incentives so he can earn more based on playing time and performance.
  • -Barkevious Mingo, DE/LB, Colts
    • Height: 6'4" Weight: 239 lbs.
    • Last year Mingo was signed by Indy for a little more than $2M. In 2018 a team will have to pay him more than that to obtain his services, as he finished the year very strong with a couple of sacks, constant pressure, and surprising coverage after John Simon's injury. Atlanta could really fortify the passrush with an acquisition like this.

Draft:

• Round 1, Pick 26 - Taven Bryan, DT, Florida
  • Height: 6’4” Weight: 295 lbs.
    • This is one of those picks that you get tired of seeing because it is consistently included in a lot of mock drafts. Last year the popular pick was Bryan’s teammate at the same position, Caleb Brantley. This pick is a bit of a no-brainer if the Falcons do go with a defensive tackle at pick 26. Taven Bryan is an extremely disruptive force at the position and would be an excellent player behind (or beside, in obvious passing situations) Grady Jarrett.

• *The Falcons trade their 2018 2nd and 6th and 2019 5th to the Dallas Cowboys for Pick 50*
  • Round 2, Pick 50 - Christian Kirk, WR, Texas A&M
  • Height: 5’11” Weight: 200 lbs.
    • The loss of Taylor Gabriel after 2016 would have felt like a huge blow, but after this past season his contributions are easily overlooked. The Falcons will hopefully have an offensive rebound year in Sark’s sophomore season as OC and Kirk will help with that. Kirk would be an ideal new slot receiver with his speed and shiftiness, as many have compared him to the likes of Jarvis Landry and Brandin Cooks.

• Round 3, Pick 90 - Mike White, QB, Western Kentucky
  • Height: 6’4” Weight: 225 lbs.
    • I don’t actually see this pick happening but right now it’s a semi-realistic dream that I wanted to record. White would be an incredible pick to groom behind Matt Ryan. He’s got the size, the arm, the accuracy, the college production - everything you look for in a QB prospect. He’s got the mental capability to learn an NFL offense, and the physical tools to execute it. In two seasons after transferring to WKU from South Florida he completed 66.5% of his passes for 8,540 yards with 63 touchdowns and just 15 interceptions! Those reasons are why I would love for him to be Matt’s new backup, and why I can’t see it actually happening. By the time the draft comes, someone will have fallen in love with him and he’ll be in Thursday night discussion, I just have to go on record as to say how much I’d love to see him in a Falcons uniform.

• Round 4, Pick 122 - Martez Carter, RB/KR, Grambling State
  • Height: 5’9” Weight: 205 lbs.
    • Explosive, fast, shifty, excellent hands - Carter has all the tools to be a dangerous weapon in the NFL. He can start off as a return man and 4th RB, only needing to display pass protection skills to make Terron Ward extremely expendable. Carter is a homerun threat any time he touches the ball, making him an excellent fit and possible replacement for Coleman (or Taylor Gabriel on certain plays) in case he is not retained.

• Round 5, Pick 154 - Traded to DEN for OT Ty Sambrailo.

• Round 6, Pick 186 - Traded to DAL in trade for WR Christian Kirk.

• Round 7, Pick 218 - Nick Bawden, FB, San Diego State
  • Height: 6’1” Weight: 244 lbs.
    • Did anyone else miss Patrick DiMarco this past year? I know I certainly did and here’s a step back in that direction. SDSU produces some of the best running backs, and has been dubbed RBU. Taking a FB from such a productive rushing offense makes a lot of sense. Bawden is ready to be a lead blocker at the next level, and having displayed some receiving ability in college he will make for a very useful addition to the roster.

• Priority UDFA -  Jarrett Johnson, DE, Texas A&M
  • Height: 6'3" Weight: 265 lbs.
    • It's hard to get noticed when you're stuck behind studs like Daeshon Hall and Myles Garrett, but Johnson was impressive in his short time as a starter. He's a fast edge rusher that will need to get stronger to hold up in the NFL. As a designated pass rusher, however, he can be really effective early on.

• Priority UDFA - Lowell Lotulelei, NT, Utah
  • Height: 6'2" Weight: 310 lbs.
    • A practice squad candidate, Double-L is most known for being the younger brother of Carolina's DT Star with none the passrushing prowess. Lowell can be a productive runstopper in the NFL and would stand to learn a lot behind someone like Poe.

Roster (53):

Offense (25)

• QB: Matt Ryan, Mike White
  • RB: Devonta Freeman, Tevin Coleman, Terron Ward, Martez Carter
  • FB: Nick Bawden
  • WR1: Julio Jones, Marvin Hall
  • WR2: Mohamed Sanu, Nick Williams
  • WR3: Christian Kirk, Justin Hardy
  • TE: Austin Hooper, Levine Toilolo, Eric Saubert
  • LT: Jake Matthews, Ty Sambrailo
  • LG: Andy Levitre, Sean Harlow
  • OC: Alex Mack, Ben Garland
  • RG: Xavier Su’a-Filo, Wes Schweitzer
  • RT: Ryan Schraeder

Defense (25)

• DE: Vic Beasley, Derrick Shelby, Jarrett Johnson
  • DT: Grady Jarrett, Taven Bryan, Jack Crawford
  • DT: Dontari Poe, Lowell Lotulelei
  • DE: Takk McKinley, Brooks Reed
  • SLB: Duke Riley, Barkevious Mingo
  • MLB: Deion Jones, LaRoy Reynolds
  • WLB: DeVondre Campbell, Kemal Ishmael
  • CB: Desmond Trufant, Robert Alford, Brian Poole, Ross Cockrell, Blidi Wreh-Wilson
  • SS: Keanu Neal, Sharrod Neasman
  • FS: Ricardo Allen, Demontae Kazee

Special Teams (3)

• K: Matt Bryant
  • P: Matt Bosher
  • LS: Josh Harris

Summary:

• Unfortunately for us mockers, I don't think the Falcons have the flexibility to make any radically interesting or flashy offseason proposals. The bright side to this is that we don't need to. We have some weaknesses to improve and some areas that can be further fortified but we are still a very good football team. Anytime a playoff team is looked at as under-performers, you're in a good position. There are a lot of ways we can improve in Sark's second year and he can begin molding the offense to his liking just as Shanahan did in his second year. Just on the offense alone we would: add a proper fullback, increase the competition among the offensive line, bring in a running back that can earn his stripes on special teams, and hopefully see some growth in Eric Saubert's second season. On the defense we need to continue molding our passrush into a terrifying unit while also restocking the secondary with battle-tested reserves. I think the combination of a hungry young defense and a re-composed offense will be a winning ticket for Atlanta this season, and that's what I've looked to accomplish here.

1 hour ago, Scott Carasik said:

Lowell Lotulelei is a 2nd round pick right now.

According to?

OurLads has him as their number 13 ranked prospect at DT, and was the highest projection I saw at 4-5.

Walter Football - 6th-FA

CBS - Not even listed.

Mike Mayock doesn't have him listed in his top 5 DT's.

Sports Illustrated doesn't view him as a top 50 player, either.

Drafttek has him listed at #152 on their big board.

Can't tell if I'm more curious about what sources you're using to make such a claim, or more annoyed that you would make that singular statement as a response to the mock and fail to recognize anything else. You're the worst kind of poster, SCar. Do you think I just throw names out without researching rankings? GTFOH.

Slappywhite likes this

2 hours ago, bigjmw84 said:

I like it. I personally would have went TE in the 3rd and invested in a QB in 2019. That' just my opinion tho

Appreciate you reading, man. I've gone a bit back and forth on TE to be honest with you.

I think Hooper is solid, and will hopefully continue to grow. We know what we have in Toilolo - great blocking, decent hands, uncoachable size. The real question mark here is Saubert. He didn't get a lot of chance to impress last year but he was drafted to be a receiving threat and I think we will utilize him more this year.

Now is the time to get another QB. We have a great QB class, a backup that is making far too much money, and an offensive coordinator going into his second year who needs to instill his scheme sooner rather than later.

Those are my reasons for QB over TE, but I'm not mad about anyone taking a TE either.

Slappywhite likes this

King if this is ring rust man I love it.

QB I'm liking in this draft is Nic Shimonek of Texas Tech but hey I like what you've done here.

Yeah I'm a huge Bryan fan this guys motor is non stop and on a bad line he really stands out and performs.

Kirks my guy you'll upset a few here trading up to get him lol but I love the guy.Think he has star potential written all over him.

4th round I wouldn't bother with a KR/PR guy Kirk can cover that role.Id have double downed on a guy like BJ Hill or Kentavious Street from NC State.

Vandy, King Jigsaw and Slappywhite like this

6 hours ago, King Jigsaw said:

According to?

OurLads has him as their number 13 ranked prospect at DT, and was the highest projection I saw at 4-5.

Walter Football - 6th-FA

CBS - Not even listed.

Can't tell if I'm more curious about what sources you're using to make such a claim, or more annoyed that you would make that singular statement as a response to the mock and fail to recognize anything else. You're the worst kind of poster, SCar. Do you think I just throw names out without researching rankings? GTFOH.

NFL Draft Scout has him ranked as a 6th round pick. Maybe teams have him ranked higher but I really can't see him going in the 2nd, he looked pretty poor this year.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=1001592&draftyear=2018&genpos=DT

King Jigsaw likes this

14 hours ago, King Jigsaw said:

Greetings, fellow Falcons fans. This is the first one of these I've done in quite some time, so I do hope you'll forgive me for any 'ring rust' and any loss of quality in this attempt as opposed to what you guys are used to seeing from me in years past. I'll admit that I haven't been as active in the sporting world over the last year but I'm trying to get caught back up before the draft rolls around. Just in doing some research these are some of the players that I would like to see in Atlanta come next season. As always, I appreciate any questions, comments, concerns - provided they are adding to worthwhile discussion. Let's get started with the players I don't see joining us on our Lombardi run..

Cut:

• Matt Schaub, QB (+$3.25M) - We don't have too many cut candidates on our team, as I'd like to keep Brooks Reed around. Schaub is a little too pricy for how little he is needed. I'd like to get younger and cheaper at the backup QB position. Someone with their best years ahead of the needs to be obtained.

Let Walk:

• Taylor Gabriel, WR - Until Sark can prove capable of feeding so many weapons, there is no need for us to try and afford all of them. Let him go to SF if that's where he wants to be.
  • Andre Roberts, WR - The hunt for a reliable and dangerous returner continues. Andre didn't do enough to earn another contract with the Falcons.
  • Adrian Clayborn, DE - The inflated sack totals from the Dallas game might inflate his pricetag as well. Not interested in paying those prices.
  • Courtney Upshaw, DE - It hurts losing another talent on the D-Line but Upshaw can be replaced. Quinn will continue to build his team mainly through the draft.
  • Derrick Coleman, FB - The loss of Dimarco was felt with the trash play we saw from the position this season. An upgrade is coming.

Re-Sign:

• Dontari Poe, DT - I think he earned the deal that he's going to receive this offseason. Grady and Poe continue to eat.
  • Kemal Ishmael, LB/S - This is one of the most important signings for us. He can fill in at LB or S and knows this entire defense very well.
  • Nick Williams, WR - This is a cheap signing for a guy who is familiar with Matt and the offense. If he gets beat out in camp, so be it.
  • Blidi Wreh-Wilson, CB - Same as with Nick Williams, we need CB depth and BWW is familiar with out scheme. If he gets beat out by a rookie, that's only a good thing.

Free Agency:

• Majorly labeled as a bust thus far, could really benefit from a change in scenery. Will likely come on a short-term deal to compete with the other Guards on roster. With Harlow, Su'a-Filo, and incumbent Schweitzer all vying for the starting RG position, may the best man win.
    • Cockrell has proven over the last  couple of seasons that he's capable of coming in and playing well when needed, but is still likely in the reserve DB realm. With his size and experience, I'd like to pay him a modest contract over the next few years that is laden with incentives so he can earn more based on playing time and performance.
    • Last year Mingo was signed by Indy for a little more than $2M. In 2018 a team will have to pay him more than that to obtain his services, as he finished the year very strong with a couple of sacks, constant pressure, and surprising coverage after John Simon's injury. Atlanta could really fortify the passrush with an acquisition like this.

Draft:

• This is one of those picks that you get tired of seeing because it is consistently included in a lot of mock drafts. Last year the popular pick was Bryan’s teammate at the same position, Caleb Brantley. This pick is a bit of a no-brainer if the Falcons do go with a defensive tackle at pick 26. Taven Bryan is an extremely disruptive force at the position and would be an excellent player behind (or beside, in obvious passing situations) Grady Jarrett.

• *The Falcons trade their 2018 2nd and 6th and 2019 5th to the Dallas Cowboys for Pick 50*
    • The loss of Taylor Gabriel after 2016 would have felt like a huge blow, but after this past season his contributions are easily overlooked. The Falcons will hopefully have an offensive rebound year in Sark’s sophomore season as OC and Kirk will help with that. Kirk would be an ideal new slot receiver with his speed and shiftiness, as many have compared him to the likes of Jarvis Landry and Brandin Cooks.

• I don’t actually see this pick happening but right now it’s a semi-realistic dream that I wanted to record. White would be an incredible pick to groom behind Matt Ryan. He’s got the size, the arm, the accuracy, the college production - everything you look for in a QB prospect. He’s got the mental capability to learn an NFL offense, and the physical tools to execute it. In two seasons after transferring to WKU from South Florida he completed 66.5% of his passes for 8,540 yards with 63 touchdowns and just 15 interceptions! Those reasons are why I would love for him to be Matt’s new backup, and why I can’t see it actually happening. By the time the draft comes, someone will have fallen in love with him and he’ll be in Thursday night discussion, I just have to go on record as to say how much I’d love to see him in a Falcons uniform.

• Explosive, fast, shifty, excellent hands - Carter has all the tools to be a dangerous weapon in the NFL. He can start off as a return man and 4th RB, only needing to display pass protection skills to make Terron Ward extremely expendable. Carter is a homerun threat any time he touches the ball, making him an excellent fit and possible replacement for Coleman (or Taylor Gabriel on certain plays) in case he is not retained.

• Did anyone else miss Patrick DiMarco this past year? I know I certainly did and here’s a step back in that direction. SDSU produces some of the best running backs, and has been dubbed RBU. Taking a FB from such a productive rushing offense makes a lot of sense. Bawden is ready to be a lead blocker at the next level, and having displayed some receiving ability in college he will make for a very useful addition to the roster.

• It's hard to get noticed when you're stuck behind studs like Daeshon Hall and Myles Garrett, but Johnson was impressive in his short time as a starter. He's a fast edge rusher that will need to get stronger to hold up in the NFL. As a designated pass rusher, however, he can be really effective early on.

• A practice squad candidate, Double-L is most known for being the younger brother of Carolina's DT Star with none the passrushing prowess. Lowell can be a productive runstopper in the NFL and would stand to learn a lot behind someone like Poe.

Roster (53):

Offense (25)

Defense (25)

• CB: Desmond Trufant, Robert Alford, Brian Poole, Ross Cockrell, Blidi Wreh-Wilson

Special Teams (3)

Summary:

• Unfortunately for us mockers, I don't think the Falcons have the flexibility to make any radically interesting or flashy offseason proposals. The bright side to this is that we don't need to. We have some weaknesses to improve and some areas that can be further fortified but we are still a very good football team. Anytime a playoff team is looked at as under-performers, you're in a good position. There are a lot of ways we can improve in Sark's second year and he can begin molding the offense to his liking just as Shanahan did in his second year. Just on the offense alone we would: add a proper fullback, increase the competition among the offensive line, bring in a running back that can earn his stripes on special teams, and hopefully see some growth in Eric Saubert's second season. On the defense we need to continue molding our passrush into a terrifying unit while also restocking the secondary with battle-tested reserves. I think the combination of a hungry young defense and a re-composed offense will be a winning ticket for Atlanta this season, and that's what I've looked to accomplish here.

Not a fan of Kirk in the 2nd. He will have issues in the NFL. He looks awkward catching the ball sometimes. While he could get away with that in college he won't in the NFL.

I'm largely fine with this but hate the idea of using decent mid round picks on a QB when you have a franchise guy. We're all in on Matt Ryan. Every move we make needs to be with the aim of winning a Super Bowl with Matt Ryan. Drafting a developmental QB doesn't help you win a Super Bowl with Matt Ryan. 

Shagpill 2.0 likes this

Good mock, I'd put more focus on improving the tight end spot considering you already picked up Christian Kirk and Martez Carter. Would have went with a tight end somewhere in there. It's just how much is Carter going to see the field being the 4th running back and I'd rather Kirk return kicks than Carter, plus Carter would be better utilized in the passing game / open field anyway, again something I'd rather see Kirk or even Coleman used. If you picked up Kirk, I'd take a tight end there, or if you plan on picking Carter, I'd take a tight end in the second. A tight end is really a QB's best friend aside from a strong running game.

1 hour ago, datchrisb1 said:

Good mock, I'd put more focus on improving the tight end spot considering you already picked up Christian Kirk and Martez Carter. Would have went with a tight end somewhere in there. It's just how much is Carter going to see the field being the 4th running back and I'd rather Kirk return kicks than Carter, plus Carter would be better utilized in the passing game / open field anyway, again something I'd rather see Kirk or even Coleman used. If you picked up Kirk, I'd take a tight end there, or if you plan on picking Carter, I'd take a tight end in the second. A tight end is really a QB's best friend aside from a strong running game.

To me, Carter is the best back I've seen this year and we could pick him up in the later rounds.

On 2/18/2018 at 5:24 PM, King Jigsaw said:

Cut:

Let Walk:

Re-Sign:

Free Agency:

Draft:

Roster (53):

Offense (25)

Defense (25)

Special Teams (3)

Summary:

I dont mind the 1st round pick as I saw you have us keeping Poe and getting  FA OG. I can't get on board with the 2nd round pick. I think better receivers can be had in later rounds- I'm for sure not trading two more picks for WR in the 2nd round this year. Also a QB in the third? not this year- no way. I could see us spending a 6th or 7th on a QB- but I rather trade one of those for denvers guy. just my two cents

On 2/18/2018 at 8:34 PM, King Jigsaw said:

According to?

Walter Football - 6th-FA

CBS - Not even listed.

I'm using actual people who scout the draft for NFL teams. Not a bunch of random guys who throw spaghetti on the wall like Walter Footbal. Drafttek doesn't even scout their own rankings. He's not a top 5 DT right now. But guess what? There's gonna be 10-11 DTs that go in the first two rounds. And I'd put money on it that he's one of them. 

On 19/02/2018 at 0:12 AM, Scott Carasik said:

Lowell Lotulelei is a 2nd round pick right now.

On 22/02/2018 at 1:02 AM, Scott Carasik said:

I'm using actual people who scout the draft for NFL teams. Not a bunch of random guys who throw spaghetti on the wall like Walter Footbal. Drafttek doesn't even scout their own rankings. He's not a top 5 DT right now. But guess what? There's gonna be 10-11 DTs that go in the first two rounds. And I'd put money on it that he's one of them. 

These have aged well ;)