Why Has Nobody Followed "The Patriot Way"*?

FalconAge

(AKA Gaming the System)

By now its well known that in addition to the sublime talents of Bill Belichick and Tom Brady, a significant portion of the Patriots' success can be attributed to the team's general willingless to violate both the spirit and the letter of the NFL's rulebook. Their inclination to bend or break the rules whenever feasible is most evident in the times they have been caught and punished, such as Spygate and Deflategate. However, these incidents don't compare in scope to the circumnavigation of the salary cap that Tom Brady's relationship with the Patriots has allowed.

Tom Brady is paid far below market value for a quarterback of his stature, with his competitiveness/spouse's wealth given as justification.. However a Tom Brady-owned company has exclusive contracts with Gillette Stadium and the Patriots organization that pays him money that doesn't count against the cap, and to an extent that isn't publicly known.

The NFL has confirmed that they know of the arrangement and has publicly stated that it doesn't violate their rules, so why hasn't another team attempted to manage their franchise quarterback's pricetag with a similar deal?

Additionally, if the Falcons were to grant Matt Ryan a new contract paying him somewhere around 23 million a year, and a new LLC, say..... Mr2 Ltd. were to form and then provide exclusive physical therapy for the Atlanta Falcons, would you be upset with Matt and Arthur Blank?

Tom Brady's Salary

Matt Ryan's Salary

I don't know the best way to manage a salary cap going foreward that both fairly pays a QB his market value and allows you to retain most of your drafted and developed talent, but if the NFL is going to allow one organization this potential out, I am on board with ours taking advantage of this loophole as well.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Blank can’t gift Ryan 10 Home Depot locations and in exchange Ryan play for $2,000,000?  ******!!!

But honestly, Brady took a paycut with the understanding Welker would be kept.  What did B.B. do? Let him walk & used the Brady money elsewhere.  BB ousted Brady’s business parrner from the team.  This isn’t some sly move by Brady and B.B.

Why has nobody followed the patriot way? It simply can’t be followed. Belichick is the greatest head coach of all time in any sport. Brady is married to a woman who makes more money than him. Nobody is like either one of them. Brady is devoted (almost cult like) to health and nutrition. He’s determined to play at a high level until he’s 45. There’s never been a QB like that. And there’s never been a coach like Belichick 

There’s a narrative that the patriots win because they cheat. That’s just nonsense. They win because Bill and Tom are the greatest of greats. It can’t be replicated because it is such an outlier in sports. I know we all hate the patriots. But we have to appreciate greatness. Because this is about as good as it will ever get. And it will likely never get that good again 

Edited by JD dirtybird21

@FalconAge

It really isn't that simple. First of all, the NFL never actually proved that Brady or anyone in the Patriots organization knowingly and purposely tampered with footballs. Secondly, Brady's company isn't just some shell company used to funnel money to his account by circumventing certain regulations. TB12 is a real brand that sells real merchandise and offers real services that real people other than Brady use, including other NFL players such as Aaron Rodgers. Thus it also generates real profit, which I'm pretty sure Under Armour (who sponsors Brady) has a stake in.

It is a win/win situation for Brady and the Patriots--more so Brady because Brady's company can still retain the services of the Patriots organization and/or players even after he retires or leaves.

3 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Why has nobody followed the patriot way? It simply can’t be followed. Belichick is the greatest head coach of all time in any sport. Brady is married to a woman who makes more money than him. Nobody is like either man. Brady is devoted (almost cult like) to health and nutrition. He’s determined to play at a high level until he’s 45. There’s never been a QB like that. And there’s never been a coach like Bill

There’s a narrative that the patriots win because they cheat. That’s just nonsense. They win because they Bill and Tom and the greatest of greats. It can’t be replicated because it is such an outlier in sports. I know we all hate the patriots. But we have to appreciate greatness. Because this is about as good at is will ever get. And it will likely never get that good again 

Wipe your mouth there buddy

24 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Why has nobody followed the patriot way? It simply can’t be followed. Belichick is the greatest head coach of all time in any sport. Brady is married to a woman who makes more money than him. Nobody is like either man. Brady is devoted (almost cult like) to health and nutrition. He’s determined to play at a high level until he’s 45. There’s never been a QB like that. And there’s never been a coach like Bill

There’s a narrative that the patriots win because they cheat. That’s just nonsense. They win because Bill and Tom are the greatest of greats. It can’t be replicated because it is such an outlier in sports. I know we all hate the patriots. But we have to appreciate greatness. Because this is about as good at is will ever get. And it will likely never get that good again 

Great post.

its all about vision. 

same reason folks don’t invest the  warren buffet way..,he makes it all (investing fundamentals) sound simple, but in actuality for most folks who crave immediate gratification very hard to actually do. 

13 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Great post.

its all about vision. 

same reason folks don’t invest like warren buffet..,he makes it all (investing fundamentals) sound simple, but in actuality for most folks who crave immediate gratification very hard to actually do. 

My post wasn't an analysis of all the things that "The Patriot Way' entail, several books have been written on the subject. However, it is a huge benefit to be able to pay your quaterback with funding that doesn't count against the cap, and Tom Brady's desire to win and his wife's wealth do NOT tell the entire story.

I gave credit to the otherworldly ability of Tom and Bill in the very first line. Belichicks game managment is second to none, and Tom Brady excels at each of the fundamental elements of quarterbacking. Additionally you could give them credit for prizing football intelligence over measurables in building their team, which allows them to maximize the contributions of otherwise undervalued skill players (Hogan, Welker, Edelman etc.) . Kudos for running the same system for almost two decades, with regular updates in overall strategy if not fundamentals.

A huge component that is pure luck is the overall cesspool that is the AFC East. No team is every a legitimate threat for more than a season. It is a huge leg up to emerge from your division, year after year, unscathed.

There are legitimate lessons to be learned from all of the honest things the team does well to get ready each Sunday, but such a unique sitiuation with their salary cap and it's benefit to the team should not be overlooked due to reverence of some vague "Patriot Mystique".

25 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Yeah, LOL...I didn’t understand that one at all. You were kinda agreeing with him, I thought?

I mean yes and no. Was mostly just stating my opinion of why it’s impossible to follow “the patriot way” Belichick is like Jobs, Buffet, and Gates. He’s an outlier in this world. 

But the OP made a point about paying QB’s differently.

Edited by JD dirtybird21

10 minutes ago, FalconAge said:

My post wasn't an analysis of all the things that "The Patriot Way' entail, several books have been written on the subject. However, it is a huge benefit to be able to pay your quaterback with funding that doesn't count against the cap, and Tom Brady's desire to win and his wife's wealth do NOT tell the entire story.

I gave credit to the otherworldly ability of Tom and Bill in the very first line. Belichicks game managment is second to none, and Tom Brady excels at each of the fundamental elements of quarterbacking. Additionally you could give them credit for prizing football intelligence over measurables in building their team, which allows them to maximize the contributions of otherwise undervalued skill players (Hogan, Welker, Edelman etc.) . Kudos for running the same system for almost two decades, with regular updates in overall strategy if not fundamentals.

A huge component that is pure luck is the overall cesspool that is the AFC East. No team is every a legitimate threat for more than a season. It is a huge leg up to emerge from your division, year after year, unscathed.

There are legitimate lessons to be learned from all of the honest things the team does well to get ready each Sunday, but such a unique sitiuation with their salary cap and it's benefit to the team should not be overlooked due to reverence of some vague "Patriot Mystique".

Okay.

1 minute ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Have you ever looked at the history between Craft and Goodell? It's messier than Hillary, the Russians and Trump

After the way Deflategate resolved itself, I'd certainly say Goodell fears Kraft more than any other owner, and that's despite Gloryhole Jones' attempts to oust him as commissioner

10 minutes ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Have you ever looked at the history between Craft and Goodell? It's messier than Hillary, the Russians and Trump

Goodell and Kraft hate each other after all the spygate stuff. Meanwhile Arthur Blank stud up to Jerry Jones in favor of Goodell keeping his job when Jerry was trying to get Goodell fired.

36 minutes ago, FalconAge said:

No, not really. The Patriots record with Brady and Belichick against the AFC in general is stellar, especially at home, where I believe they've only lost twice to AFC teams. I believe they've only lost once to the Steelers in nine or 10 games, regularly handled Peyton Manning teams, and had regular success against the AFC's best throughout their tenure, which have included teams in their own division. Let's not act like the Jets, Dolphins, and Bills were always terrible. Even when they were good they just couldn't top the Patriots except for 2008 in which Brady tore his ACL at the beginning of the season, and that was only because of a tiebreaker.

So no, it's not "pure luck." You don't win the AFC eight times because of luck. You don't win the Super Bowl five times in that same span because of luck.

"But what if they played in the NFC South or [insert division]?" You can't make a conclusive statement because division games carry much more significance than non-conference games. So while Brady and Belichick may have a losing record against Newton and just broke even with Brees, in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really blemish their legacy because those were insignificant games. It would likely be much different if the Patriots did play in the NFCS or any other division. The only non-conference game that does matter is the Super Bowl, in which Brady and Belichick are 5-3, though two of those losses are to the same team (NY Giants) and the other to a team they've beaten before (Philadelphia Eagles).