A.J McCarron

RING OF HONOR

2 minutes ago, RING OF HONOR said:

I didnt think he had enough work to become a starter......but you might be right...Cleveland??

Cleveland and Hue have tried before to get him.  He will be a starter next year and probably make a lot of money.

Im not saying he will do well, but there is starter market for him.  He wont be backing anyone up.

1 minute ago, athell said:

Cleveland and Hue have tried before to get him.  He will be a starter next year and probably make a lot of money.

Im not saying he will do well, but there is starter market for him.  He wont be backing anyone up.

While I dont agree with Garrappolo getting all that money I can see why they would....I just didn't think AJ had a starters market just yet...maybe Cleveland will try again...

1 minute ago, RING OF HONOR said:

While I dont agree with Garrappolo getting all that money I can see why they would....I just didn't think AJ had a starters market just yet...maybe Cleveland will try again...

You are probably right.  I think its more that the qb position is pretty dire for many teams so someone is going to pay and give him a chance.

53 minutes ago, athell said:

You are probably right.  I think its more that the qb position is pretty dire for many teams so someone is going to pay and give him a chance.

this is my thought exactly. some team will pay. I fully expect that, Foles, Keenum AJ and Bortles will all make a good paycheck this year

50 minutes ago, NeonDeion said:

He’s a Foles level backup. Would love to have him at backup price but don’t see that happening. 

Your either giving McCarron credit he hasn't earned in the NFL, or you have the same opinion of Foles everyone else did going into week 17.  McCarron played decent in 2015, but certainly not as good as Foles early in his career. 

3 hours ago, falcndave said:

Your either giving McCarron credit he hasn't earned in the NFL, or you have the same opinion of Foles everyone else did going into week 17.  McCarron played decent in 2015, but certainly not as good as Foles early in his career. 

Foles had major ups and downs but hasn’t been a desired starter in the league for anyone. McCarron has barely played at all and the Browns still tried to trade for him and make him their starter.

Foles has a longer track record sure, but I think McCarron is on that level. 

1 hour ago, Smiler11 said:

AJ McCarron is going to get paid to be a starter. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get $15m + per year (maybe more). 

McCarron will be the true litmus test of how crazy the QB market is.

Eh, that's Mike Glennon money, so that seems about right.  Teams without an answer pay a premium for mediocre.  It's definitely not going to be any sort of litmus test.  It wasn't with Osweiler, Glennon, or any number of similar QBs in the past.  Like I said in another thread, the top of the QB market is still the same as it has been relative to the cap for years.

If anything, AJ might have a harder time this year than in years past.  There really aren't many teams who don't think they have their QB, and there will be quite a few startable QBs on the market.

7 minutes ago, PK Manley said:

Eh, that's Mike Glennon money, so that seems about right.  Teams without an answer pay a premium for mediocre.  It's definitely not going to be any sort of litmus test.  It wasn't with Osweiler, Glennon, or any number of similar QBs in the past.  Like I said in another thread, the top of the QB market is still the same as it has been relative to the cap for years.

If anything, AJ might have a harder time this year than in years past.  There really aren't many teams who don't think they have their QB, and there will be quite a few startable QBs on the market.

I don't mean he is going to re-set the market or anything like that but he's going to get paid a **** ton of money for a guy that has proven very little in the NFL. 

Similar to the Osweiler case, but I suspect he'll get more and the agents of players like MR2 and Aaron Rodgers will start asking if McCarron is worth 'X' then what is my guy worth.

1 minute ago, Smiler11 said:

I don't mean he is going to re-set the market or anything like that but he's going to get paid a **** ton of money for a guy that has proven very little in the NFL. 

Similar to the Osweiler case, but I suspect he'll get more and the agents of players like MR2 and Aaron Rodgers will start asking if McCarron is worth 'X' then what is my guy worth.

Oh I know you didn't mean top of the market, but these type of deals have very little to do with the top of the market deals IMO.

Just saying that he'll have some competition for a very few jobs anyways.  Go around the league and look at who truly needs a QB and look at the other FA options.  He's high on the FA list, so he'll probably do well, but not like if he was available a couple years ago IMO.  Not many spots and there are other options.