First Falcons Game You Watched

I do not remember the actual game but it would have been the first game of the 1968 season.

I lived in Kentucky during 66 & 67  We did not get Falcon's games there 

BUT I moved back to Georgia in Aug 1968  and saw the first game of that season----Drove up from Warner Robins to Fulton County Stadium for the first home game that  year.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Randy Johnson It was the last game of our first year against the steelers I was excited tor the next year because Randy Johnson had almost 300 yards passing.. Being a kid I didn't know It was because they scored almost 60 points against  us and the yards were just candy yards the steelers gave us to eat clock

3 hours ago, Doctor Kildare said:

That was one of the most discouraging games ever. Opening day off a 9-5 season that should have been the Falcons first playoff team. This one game killed the optimism and was the begining of the end for General Lee and Norm Van Brocklin.

Pat Sullivan sucked back then but the way the game is built for passing now, he could have been another Drew Brees had he played inthis day and age.

Edited by middlegatv

I believe it was the Giants game during the 1998 super bowl season. I had just started to get into football  through videogames and decided to start following the Falcons, since I was already a fan of the other major sports team in Atlanta. I remember following the Panthers blow out on gamecast (game was blacked out) and then watching the New York Giants led by Danny Kanell at QB. Didn't miss a game the rest of the way, and had my mind blown by our playoff run. Quickly became my favorite sport to watch. Last year I was in Atlanta, during Mike Vick's rookie season, me and my bro went to every home game. Good times, despite us losing almost every single game lol.

On 2/15/2018 at 11:21 AM, Statick said:

Wow. It's been so long I can't remember.

All I can tell you that it was in 1980.

I go back to 1972....and have no idea who it was. My first live game was at Fulton Co. stadium in 79 I believe. Played the saints and they were leading with little time on the clock....had been harassed by those saints fans the whole game. We won in the final minute of the game and those DA** taints fans were gone! That's when I developed my dislike for the Saints.

On 2/15/2018 at 11:06 PM, middlegatv said:

1974 vs. Dallas. A 24-0 butt-kicking from Dallas and it wasn't even that close.

All you have to know about the 74 Falcons is they had 55 freaking turnovers in 14 games (16 game seasons didn't start till 1978).

And they only scored 10 offensive TDs the whole season. 

Thankfully I was too young to realize just how bad they were.

And they had some great defensive players on that team , off my head here , so dont  quote me .  Zook , Humphry, Brezina , Nobis , Tommy Hanson ,  Rolland Lawrence 

1 hour ago, marvinthemartian said:

There were earlier ones for sure but the first one I really remember was in 1969 against the Vikings

I remember that one too. It was a real mud bowl and the Falcons upset the Vikings who were on their way to the Super Bowl that year. If my memory is correct, the Falcons made a goal line stand late to save the win.

I could probably not exactly identify the first game I watched except that as a kid, I was immediately fascinated with Jeff Van Note who had my same first name and was considered a top player in the NFL.  I also remember Bartkowski being the young star QB around.  I am pretty sure it was 1978 as I eventually remember that year coming to hate the Cowboys because they beat us in the playoffs - one of my first childhood experiences of defeat/disappointment.

On 2/15/2018 at 11:55 AM, Cali-Falcon said:

Unfortunately, during my childhood Los Angeles did not have a football team. It wasn't until I started playing madden that I really started following the sport. I loved to pick the Falcons because Vick was a beast and naturally I started track his stats on Sundays as well.

I am always haunted by the "first" Falcons game that I ever watched... The Katrina Bowl. This was a nightmare for any Falcons fan and of course the piece of s*** Aints made a statue to commemorate this day.

However.... I was recently watching old videos where we were at my late grandfathers house. I must've been only a few weeks old and as I'm watching, I hear Sunday night football commentary in the background. My true first game folks was Falcons vs Aints 11-24-91, where we beat them in over time. We also beat them in the playoffs that year in their house/swamp.

Not only was I thrilled that the Katrina Bowl wasn't my true first game, but also I was pumped that my destiny of becoming a Falcons fan was officially validated.

The first one I watched that I can remember was around 1989 or 1990.  It was in the Glanville years.  We were up 9-0 on the Pittsburgh steelers.  Then they scored a touchdown to make it 9-7.  Then went up 14-9.  Finally, the running back busted through the line for a long touchdown run and sealed the game 21-9.  I gave me a love for the team I have never lost.  

4 hours ago, Mr.Blank said:

Earliest game I can remember watching was a Falcons-Rams game in 1973. Our kicker made 5 field goals to win.

Scoring summary. Look at the length of the Falcon field goals. Red zone difficulties are not a new problem.

Scoring

Quarter Tm Detail RAM ATL
1 Rams David Ray 32 yard field goal 3 0
  Rams Tony Baker 2 yard rush (David Ray kick) 10 0
  Falcons Nick Mike-Mayer 28 yard field goal 10 3
2 Falcons Nick Mike-Mayer 30 yard field goal 10 6
  Falcons Nick Mike-Mayer 12 yard field goal 10 9
4 Rams David Ray 42 yard field goal 13 9
  Falcons Nick Mike-Mayer 26 yard field goal 13 12
  Falcons Nick Mike-Mayer 16 yard field goal 13 15
2 hours ago, Doctor Kildare said:

Scoring summary. Look at the length of the Falcon field goals. Red zone difficulties are not a new problem.

Scoring

Quarter Tm Detail RAM ATL
1 Rams David Ray 32 yard field goal 3 0
  Rams Tony Baker 2 yard rush (David Ray kick) 10 0
  Falcons Nick Mike-Mayer 28 yard field goal 10 3
2 Falcons Nick Mike-Mayer 30 yard field goal 10 6
  Falcons Nick Mike-Mayer 12 yard field goal 10 9
4 Rams David Ray 42 yard field goal 13 9
  Falcons Nick Mike-Mayer 26 yard field goal 13 12
  Falcons Nick Mike-Mayer 16 yard field goal 13 15

Falcons have been fortunate throughout their history to have some really solid kickers.

On 2/17/2018 at 11:17 PM, Doctor Kildare said:

I remember that one too. It was a real mud bowl and the Falcons upset the Vikings who were on their way to the Super Bowl that year. If my memory is correct, the Falcons made a goal line stand late to save the win.

Yes and I believe Claude Humphrey ran a pick back for a TD and we won like 10-3 or something

It’s funny thinking back...

I mentioned the first game I remember being early 70’s and Kim McQuilken was playing QB. I remember knowing that the Falcons were a very bad football team, and I had no expectations of championships or even playoffs. i didn’t concern myself with such lofty goals.

For me, each game was a season in itself. If they lost there was no anger or disappointment. I lived for small victories.. the individual wins within a game. If the Falcons happened to win, there was elation. For that week the Falcons were the champions of the “Falcons vs whoever” rivalry. There was no thinking “yeah but we’re still 3-9... there was nothing but joy.

There was nothing but the expected, or those weekly bouts of joy up until around 1980. In 1980... for the first time there was this terrible thing that invaded my thoughts. That thing was “expectations”.

It’s funny that about the same time I was becoming an adult was the same time a 12-4 season and a team that was probably the most talented in the NFL that year, “expectations” came into my football world.

Gone were the simple joys and naivety of my youth. These were replaced with frustration and disappointment. Just the occasional win was no longer enough. I wanted playoffs.. championships. 1980 was the first time I felt that my football team had punched me in the face.

This explains why 1998 hurt so bad... 2012 was a gut shot... 2017 was my best friend kicking me in the groin when I thought he was picking me up off of the ground. 2018 was a letdown despite making the 2nd round of the playoffs.

I wouldn’t go back to those early 70’s teams for anything but sometimes I feel that expectations suck, and I long for the times when each victory was it’s own  championship. For a week, we were Kings.

It was the 98 Super Bowl for me.

I was 10 at the time. Nobody in my house ever watched the Falcons or pro football for that matter. I just used to hear rumblings about how awful the franchise was when my dads friends came over. 

Then all of a sudden one night I hear the entire neighborhood erupt in cheers with chants of "we're going to the SuperBowl, they did it" and "that was unbelievable, I can't believe he missed the kick!" referring to the NFC Championship against the Vikes obviously.

The next two weeks were pure bliss everywhere we went. Everyone was happy and slapping fives. And finally once the Super Bowl came right before kickoff my dad made me and brother ride our bikes to the gas station about two miles away to get more chips and sodas for the guests. By the time we made it back we were already losing. And by the 4th quarter they had turned it off completely. "They blew it!" Is all I remember people saying. 

That was my first time watching the Falcons. I didn't watch again on my own until preseason started in the 02 season. I've haven't looked back since then. The SB and then the magic of Mike Vick that year have always made me believe our franchise could do amazing things and go the distance. We just have to get out of our own way. 

Edited by LightningDawg58
9 hours ago, marvinthemartian said:

Yes and I believe Claude Humphrey ran a pick back for a TD and we won like 10-3 or something

You remembered right except it was a fumble return. I had even forgotten that Humphrey had scored the TD.

Scoring

Quarter Tm Detail MIN ATL
1 Vikings Fred Cox 19 yard field goal 3 0
2 Falcons Claude Humphrey 24 yard defensive fumble return (Bob Etter kick) 3 7
3 Falcons Bob Etter 28 yard field goal 3 10