First Falcons Game You Watched

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Started watching in 1966 the year they got here. I was a Packer fan at the time because the Pack was my squad on the old vibratin electric football game. Switched to the Roman Gabriel led Rams with the fearsome foursome a couple years later.

My dad took me to a PIT@ATL game in 1970. Harmon Wages ran over em and they won. I aspired to be a RB at the time and instantly became a Falcon fan. Never looked back. Going into my 49th season and need rest. Now.

The first ever game that I saw the Falcons play was I believe against Detroit back in 2008 where Turner destroyed them. I was like 13 years old and had only been in America for about 3 years at that point. I didn't understand much but boy was it a fun experience. So every Sunday I would watch the Falcons play as my family wondered wtf this sport is. We had no such thing in Russia, the only thing that resembled football in Russia was rugby and that is a wildly different sport by comparison. The game where I became a fan of the Falcons was against the Bears where Ryan made that throw to Jenkins with 1 second left and Elam kicked the game-winner, " DRIVE HOME SAFELY, ATLANTA WINS". I have been a fan ever since. I guess I only been around since the good times but hey I am here for my team no matter what. 

1974 vs. Dallas. A 24-0 butt-kicking from Dallas and it wasn't even that close.

All you have to know about the 74 Falcons is they had 55 freaking turnovers in 14 games (16 game seasons didn't start till 1978).

And they only scored 10 offensive TDs the whole season. 

Thankfully I was too young to realize just how bad they were.

I cannot possibly remember my first Falcons game. I, like most, was enthralled watching during the 98 season, let down, enthralled by Vick games, let down, enthralled with Ryan games, let down, enthralled, let down, enthralled, let down, the cycle goes on. If only an enthralling Super Bowl will could come our way one of these days...

I think the first one I watched was probably at Atlanta Stadium sometime in '68. My dad bought season tickets with my other little league coaches.

But the first Falcons game I *remember* watching was in a conference room in a downtown hotel on a tiny B&W TV. My dad had a sales conference in another room and he set up the TV to keep me occupied. I was all alone. 7 years old. Back then it was no big deal to let kids run own their own as long as you checked on them occasionally.

We were playing the Saints and it was a total downpour mud fest. I think we beat them something like 62-6. Or maybe they beat us. I can't remember. Then maybe a year later we played them again and the score flip-flopped. The other team won.

Blowouts like that leave scars. That Saints rivalry goes back a loooong way.

My dad taking me to a game in Fulton County Stadium when I was around 10 years old. 

I don’t remember who but I do remember the day it was a beautiful sunny day and had one of the bluest skies I’d ever seen. I even remember where we sat. 

Unfortunately Dad is now in a nursing home with Alzheimer’s and doesn’t remember who I am soul crushing. Sorry about the last paragraph but I associate my first Falcons game and jacket with my dad.

The first game I watched would've been around '87 & most likely against the 49ers. I don't remember much at all about it other than really liking Gerald Riggs.

We were living in Turkey (my dad was in the Air Force) & there was just one tv station on the base. They'd show one game a week & since the 49ers were in the Montana/Rice heyday still, they often showed their games. Since Atlanta was in the same division as SF at the time, I got to see a few of their games. I liked Riggs, I liked the uniforms, and I liked cheering for the underdog... so I hitched my wagon to the Falcons.

11 hours ago, middlegatv said:

All you have to know about the 74 Falcons is they had 55 freaking turnovers in 14 games (16 game seasons didn't start till 1978).

Don't bring me down, groos!  

First falcon's game...well i listened to the Matt Ryan debut on the radio vs LIONS, 2008.  WATCHED the game vs BEARS later that year, and ATTENDED the RAIDER game that very same year. (Also was my first date with my now wife) I have missed maybe 2 games LIVE since then but made sure to watch every game.  I have attended 3 Falcons games, all away and we have outscored the opponents 92-17 in those games. I feel kind of like a luck charm sometimes lol. JK. 

11 hours ago, middlegatv said:

That was one of the most discouraging games ever. Opening day off a 9-5 season that should have been the Falcons first playoff team. This one game killed the optimism and was the begining of the end for General Lee and Norm Van Brocklin.

Edited by Doctor Kildare
1 hour ago, k-train said:

The first game I watched would've been around '87 & most likely against the 49ers. I don't remember much at all about it other than really liking Gerald Riggs.

We were living in Turkey (my dad was in the Air Force) & there was just one tv station on the base. They'd show one game a week & since the 49ers were in the Montana/Rice heyday still, they often showed their games. Since Atlanta was in the same division as SF at the time, I got to see a few of their games. I liked Riggs, I liked the uniforms, and I liked cheering for the underdog... so I hitched my wagon to the Falcons.

Cheering for the underdog is often a mark of Falcon fans. A lot of the kids when I grew up were die hard fans of the overdogs of the day, the Green Bay Packers. Then Lombardi retired and they became die hard fans of the Dallas Cowboys.

4 hours ago, slewis1952 said:

I saw the first game the Falcons ever played. It was in Sept 1966 and they lost to the Rams 19-14. It was such a thrill to see NFL football. 

That was a great day. The kicker for the Falcons, I don't remember his name but he had to be the worst all time kicker, pull hooked a field goal attempt a good 30 feet left of the goal post and it fell right to my Dad who of course gave it to me. We used that ball in the neighborhood for 3 or 4 years before the ball gave up the ghost. I remember the dust and dirt flying up and obscuring the players on every play that was snapped on the infield dirt. I was a big Baltimore Colts and Johnny Unitas fan and I had my Unitas jersey (More like a shirt) on and I got Tommy Nobis to sign it for me and I wore that every time we played football in the neighborhood until it literally fell apart. I became a full fledged Falcon fan after that day. In '68 they played the Colts at Atlanta Stadium and we were there in those end zone seats and the Falcons website put up a picture about 3 or 4 years ago before a game against the Colts and it showed Johnny U throwing a pass and in the stands in the background was me in my number #19 colts shirt. Edit: It was the 1967 game that the picture was from.

Edited by slider

Was a Braves fan before I was a Falcons fan. I watched every Braves game I could when I was 5.

But I was 6/7 when I saw the Falcons first playing on TV. Don't remember who they were playing, but I got so excited when I saw another Atlanta team on TV. The first time I actually remember much about them though was when they won their first game week 1 of 2003. 

I got lucky and started watching them in 2004 when they were good. Went to the Saturday night Panthers game that year. 

Some time in the 90s....I know I watched the Skins playoff game in 91 and I know I watched some before that but can't remember exactly (living in Indiana they weren't on much) 

First time I went to a game was 2010 in Cleveland, since have been to Detroit, Nashville, Cincinnati to watch the Falcons, then first time in Atl for the NFCCG against the pack.