Jump to content

Question to the mocker fockers


Tribal Chief
 Share

Recommended Posts

I'm sure most of you are exactly like me. Don't have a clue about most players you fall in love with until you just so happen to run into a stat or highlight that catches your eye. I can't sit back and pretend to know half of the guys you all bring up. So just in general, what type of research are you doing to find these players and how much of their highlight reel do you watch before saying "I want this man/kid/boy/dude to be a Falcon" or "he's the missing link".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What I do is go through our roster, find the biggest needs, then find the list of prospects at that position and start watching highlights. Doesn't usually take me all that long to write a guy off or get my attention. Once I get that initial feel, I will put him down on my board and come back later to dig deeper. I am just getting started for this year. 

 

I am nowhere near ready to make a final mock. I don't feel like you can get accurate or realistic till after the combine. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

DRAFT: 

*CBS sports to get an idea of what players are in range for a need. 

*Filter said players mentally on what I like size-wise and competition-wise (going to value a guy from Ohio state as higher than a guy from SMU).

*Look for "VS" videos of said player on youtube. (I don't start with highlights because they're a wast of time of the players is trash for 99 plays in a game a good for two). 

FA:

*Check overthecap.com for who's available. 

*Read articles on the player and apply logic. (starting pro-bowl tackle for x team on his rook contract won't leave his team for slightly more than his rook contract, etc. )

 

*Mash them all together in a post and wait for the wave of "He won't be available" and "he's not good" comments.......

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just dig in, roll up your sleeves & read up on nfl draft prospects & their positional rankings coming out of college.

Read their scouting reports, look at some highlight vids, then if you like them, look at specific game film.

You don't have to be an nfl scout to appreciate good hand work, strength, speed, agility, instincts, ball skills, motor etc..etc...

Also keep in mind that positional rankings are subjective to the guy sorting them.  Everyone has preferences.  Rankings are really loose right now as it's still early and no combine has been reviewed.  So look at lots of player positional rankings from different sources & read several scouting reports as well.  You'd be surprised at the differences of opinion.  

Some of these guys aren't any more knowledgeable than you or I LMAO!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, The O.D.B said:

DRAFT: 

*CBS sports to get an idea of what players are in range for a need. 

*Filter said players mentally on what I like size-wise and competition-wise (going to value a guy from Ohio state as higher than a guy from SMU).

*Look for "VS" videos of said player on youtube. (I don't start with highlights because they're a wast of time of the players is trash for 99 plays in a game a good for two). 

FA:

*Check overthecap.com for who's available. 

*Read articles on the player and apply logic. (starting pro-bowl tackle for x team on his rook contract won't leave his team for slightly more than his rook contract, etc. )

 

*Mash them all together in a post and wait for the wave of "He won't be available" and "he's not good" comments.......

Bro, I enjoy looking at highlights because they are great fun to watch & display much of their big play ability in one summary.  But watching full game film answers a ton of questions about who they are & what they bring to the table.  You probably shouldn't say that a player is trash because he has a good highlight video.  Everyone has their splash plays and the good ones make a lot more big plays than average ones.  C'mon man :D

I mean not being disrespectful, but you'd be nuts not to watch a guys highlights LOL.  But if you are serious about a prospect joining your team, you must view game film & see what he does play to play & how he affects a game.  It also reveals his screw ups that won't be shown in those highlight reels...:o

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, HASHBROWN3 said:

I look at highlights because they are great fun to watch & display much of their big play ability in one summary.  But watching full game film answers a ton of questions about who they are & what they bring to the table.  You probably shouldn't say that a player is trash because he has a good highlight video.  Everyone has their splash plays and the good ones make a lot more big plays than average ones.  C'mon man.  

The only thing I'm saying is, for me, if I watch highlights of a player 1st, I often find my view of the player skewed before I dig into them. If I start with the 'VS" vids or game vids I won't watch the highlights unless I can see what I'm looking for in the VS vids. I could make my life look like more fun than a rockstar in a highlight vid. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, The O.D.B said:

The only thing I'm saying is, for me, if I watch highlights of a player 1st, I often find my view of the player skewed before I dig into them. If I start with the 'VS" vids or game vids I won't watch the highlights unless I can see what I'm looking for in the VS vids. I could make my life look like more fun than a rockstar in a highlight vid. 

Gotcha man.  I mostly do it because it's fun & it peeks my interest on a player.  It's when you begin digging into the mid & lower rounds that it's harder to find material.  That's why scouts get paid the big money.  They look at endless hours of film & go to games to evaluate the guy.  We certainly cannot access that kind of information.  I edited my reply to you a bit but it's all good.  I love this time of year though.  Looking over the crop of talent and praying we nail the draft!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Only thing I can add here there are plenty of guys on YouTube who are worth a watch who breakdown a players +s and -s but as above gamefilm where the arrow is on a guy in certain situations is always a good one to look at.

Ill give you a test.Go have a look at Taven Bryan and Da'Ron Payne tell me what you see and which prospect you prefer vs how you think his traits fit in our team.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, RING OF HONOR said:

I just wait for one of yall to start talking about someone and then I look him up..

It seems like a lot of time is involved in it...and Im too busy saving the world

I start at the beginning of the season. Just listening to pundits and looking them up. Sometimes a family member will put me on to something 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

Good ****. Just was interested in what you makes you guys look at certain players, especially the none household names

I usually start my research a month before the draft. Thirty days of Youtube, draft and FA sites.

One or two mocks. Dimi said he does 100s of mocks. That's more than G-Dawg folks.

I've made mock mistakes before but still feel like I could have done better than Dimi in the 2010-2012 era that led us to 18-30. With 30 days of YouTube.

That was the gap between Snead/Caldwell and Pioli/Quinn. He stepped on his weenie and set us back.

Several TATFers could have done better than me. G-Dawg, KoG, Vel, Forehead, Fat, you name it. Troffed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

I'm sure most of you are exactly like me. Don't have a clue about most players you fall in love with until you just so happen to run into a stat or highlight that catches your eye. I can't sit back and pretend to know half of the guys you all bring up. So just in general, what type of research are you doing to find these players and how much of their highlight reel do you watch before saying "I want this man/kid/boy/dude to be a Falcon" or "he's the missing link".

Props to you for a magnificent title for your thread.

:worship:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

I start at the beginning of the season. Just listening to pundits and looking them up. Sometimes a family member will put me on to something 

I love college football.....so if someone catch my eye I will look them up..i love breaking down games and individual players....but I find it easier to come here and see who the masses looking at

Edited by RING OF HONOR
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Highlights to get interested, then I use draftbreakdown and watch them to see how they actually play against competition. I try to stick to DL, OL, LBs, and RBs just because I can actually understand what I'm seeing better. A lot is still just intuition. But I feel like I can make pretty decent decisions overall.

Just do a search for [insert player name] 2017 and you can find those cut-ups with all plays from a game pretty easily. Like this:

Tbh this year I'm not doing nearly as much research...have actual research to do in a lab I'm working in, college work, girlfriend, social life, etc. That and it's exhausting when you're so invested in the Falcons...gonna try and just enjoy the season. Did that more this year and it panned out pretty well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...