4 hours ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

Love Donte Jackson, dude reminds me a lot of Tru & is lightening fast.

The only thing holding him back is that he’s not nearly as refined & disciplined as Tru was coming out so he’d have a learning curve.  

Can’t wait to see his 40 at the combine!

In thinking 4.28-4.35 range.

He is 5'11'' 175 lbs     I like the idea of bringing him in as a returner but he is smaller than Quinn likes his Corners to be but you can't ignore the speed and the program.  Thumbs up.

Overview

Jackson has translated his exceptional speed into a successful collegiate career in track and football. He won state high school titles in the 100 and 200 meters, and joined the Tigers' track squad to race in the 60 and 100-meters and win conference titles in the 4x100 relay. Jackson's play on the football field is what really intrigues scouts. He played in all 12 games, starting once, as a true freshman (26 tackles, one interception, two pass breakups). Jackson started 11 of 12 games in 2016, intercepting two passes, breaking up six others, and being credited with 39 tackles. SEC coaches voted him second-team all-conference in 2017, as he started 12 of 13 games played, posting 49 stops, 3.5 for loss, an interception, and 10 pass breakups.

Analysis

Strengths

Brings elite athleticism and speed to the field each game. May be the fastest player in this year's draft. All the make-up speed you need. Loose and fluid with super-twitch. Smooth backpedal with very little wasted motion in transitions. Plus body control to handle tight or off coverage. Electric in click and close to the football. Closing burst increases ball production. Has traits and cover ability to play outside or in slot. Closes out separation from breaks very quickly. Has ability to bait quarterbacks into interceptions. Takes steep pursuit angles and can beat running backs to the corner. Learned under former LSU defensive backs Jalen Mills, Jamal Adams and Tre'Davious White.

Weaknesses

Frame is chiseled but slight. Lacks desired frame to matchup with NFL size and support the run. Thrown off-balance by clever route runners. Instincts are below average. Little route anticipation. Gets lost in coverage and guards grass at times. Needs better feel in zone and to feel route development around him. Doesn't sink and close out drop windows behind him. Room to improve angles to the throw. Hands are janky and unreliable. Allows certain interceptions to slip out of his grasp. Ankle-biter as tackler who can get trucked if he tackles too high.

Draft Projection

Rounds 1-2

NFL Comparison

Leodis McKelvin

Bottom Line

Cover corner with below-average size, but elite speed and athleticism. Jackson lacks instincts but has rare closing burst so there will be feast-or-famine games in his future. Due to his slight frame, teams are sure to test his resolve and durability in run support. Jackson's athletic traits should ensure that he makes plenty of plays on the ball, but he'll need to develop better route recognition and focus in order to reach his full potential. Jackson should find early work as a third cornerback.

Edited by lostnmexico
10 hours ago, lju713 said:

I think his size will knock him down to us at #52. He could easily bulk up to 183-185lb and lose no speed. He has the speed and energy we need on D.

I agree and was just about to say that.  I think with his size he may need a year of conditioning maybe playing ST or dime, because I know some smaller players can play and all but with him being smaller than Poole I just think with the way our coaches teach tackling style he'd have to add about 10 pounds or risk real injury in the pros.

3 hours ago, federicofalcon2 said:

Plus he does add the element of speed that Quinn covets.  Which would be awesome if he could take the nickel spot and implement his speed against all these slot players that would burn us from time to time

I agree 100%  I dont know why , maybe its his size, but got me thinkin about call ing him the new Crime Dog!  Whatever happened to David Croudip any way?

2 minutes ago, lostnmexico said:

I agree 100%  I dont know why , maybe its his size, but got me thinkin about call ing him the new Crime Dog!  Whatever happened to David Croudip any way?

David passed away.  I went online and looked.  I have my answer.  Sad he passed so Young.

Position: Defensive back
Personal information
Born: (1958-01-25)January 25, 1958
Indianapolis, Indiana
Died: October 10, 1988(1988-10-10) (aged 30)
Duluth, Georgia
Height: 5 ft 8 in (1.73 m)
Weight: 183 lb (83 kg)
Career information
High school: Compton (CA)
College: San Diego State
Undrafted: 1983
Career history

Career NFL statistics
Player stats at NFL.com

Player stats at PFR

David Rodney Croudip (January 25, 1958 – October 10, 1988) was an American football defensive back. He played for the Los Angeles Rams, San Diego Chargers and the Atlanta Falcons. Croudip died on October 10, 1988 at age 30.[1][2] It was later determined he had ingested a fatal dose of cocaine.[3] His death would be the first of three to strike the Falcons organization in the span of two years. The next year, offensive tackle Ralph Norwood was killed in a one-car crash.[4] Four weeks later, tight end Brad Beckman was killed in a separate automobile collision.[5]