Matt Ryan and the $30 Million Question?

lostnmexico

After getting Roasted in another thread about replacing the $30 Million Dollar man with Tyrod Taylor and allocating money elsewhere by many board members who have deluded themselves into thinking Matt Ryan will give a hometown discount, I am posting the basic question here in a thread only about the money.  Many posters criticized the validity of the $30 Million amount while calling me stupid, inaccurate, and drunk in Mexico, let me provide you with a Little more detail.  The question is:

IS MATT RYAN WORTH $30 MILLION AND SABOTAGING OUR BUDGET FOR THE LENGTH OF HIS EXTENSION?

GettyImages-856324114-Rba6hLpEFKOYH0PxwvKevin C. Cox/Getty Images ATLANTA, GA - OCTOBER 01: Matt Ryan #2 of the Atlanta Falcons drops back to pass during the first half against the Buffalo Bills at Mercedes-Benz Stadium on October 1, 2017 in Atlanta, Georgia. (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)

FLOWERY BRANCH —

Good morning! Welcome to The Cover 9@9 blog. It's our weekly blog of nine things at 9 a.m. Wednesday that you need to know about the Atlanta Falcons, who have kicked off their search to replace running backs coach Keith Carter. 

1. $30 million man. Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan is in line to become the NFL’s first $30 million a year man. 

“It’s quite possible,” said Joel Corry, CBS Sports NFL business analyst to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution on Tuesday. “Kirk Cousins might beat him to it, if he’s an unrestricted free agent.”

The five-year $137.5 million deal that San Francisco signed the unproven Jimmy Garoppolo to has changed the market place for quarterbacks. 

“Also, Aaron Rodgers is probably going to get a new contract this year,” said Corry, a former NFL agent who holds an Economics degree from Emory (Class of 1989). “Their timetable in Green Bay has always been when he’s had two years left on his deal, which is right now. Ryan should have Kirk Cousins as a floor because I’m assuming Kirk Cousins will come in ahead of Garoppolo. That will set a new standard.”

Garoppolo’s deal averages $27.5 million per year. 

The former Eastern Illinois signal-caller, who was a late-add to the 2014 Senior Bowl, was drafted in the second round of the 2014 draft by the Patriots. He played in 18 games and made two starts before being trading to the 49ers. He made five starts for the 49ers and has a 7-0 record as a starter.

San Francisco general manager John Lynch was comfortable, based on five starts with the team, to give him a hefty market-value contract. 

Falcons owner Arthur Blank said that he wants Ryan to do a team-friendly deal that would allow them some flexability to keep the team around Ryan in place. Tom Condon, Ryan’s agent, has not responded to phone calls and emails requesting an interview. 

“That’s an interesting negotiation tactic by Arthur Blank, trying to guilt Matt Ryan publicly into taking less money,” Corry said. “He’s represented by Tom Condon who doesn’t have the words ‘hometown discount’ in his vocabulary. If Tom Condon is the one guiding the ship as opposed to Matt Ryan directing him on what to do, you’ve got a snow ball’s chance in **** of him coming in for less than Jimmy Garoppolo.” 

Then, there’s the matter of Cousins’ new deal. The Redskins are expected to release him after trading for Alex Smith and giving him a five-year, $111 million deal on Jan. 30. 

“Kirk Cousins has never won a playoff game,” Corry said. “Matt Ryan is (a former) MVP. He has taken a team to the Super Bowl. Won multiple playoff games. As long as Matt Ryan doesn’t tell Tom Condon to leave money on the table….if the Falcons want a deal done, they are going to have to pay the going rate for a high-caliber quarterback.”

When the Falcons strike a deal with Ryan, they can lower his cap number by $7 million to $10 million, depending on the deal is structured. He currently has a $19.25 million salary cap number for 2018, which is the final year of six-year $103.75 million he signed in 2013. 

“(How much cap room the Falcons clear) will depend on whether if they are going to employ that signing bonus/option bonus concept that they did with the deal that he’s under right now and that they did with Desmond Trufant’s deal,” Corry said. “That will give them more cap room than just a pure signing bonus.

“If even if they decided to give him a record signing bonus ahead of his buddy Matthew Stafford, who also has Tom Condon as an agent, they could pick up anywhere from $7 million to $7.5 million in cap room. 

“Say it’s $52.5 to $55 million signing bonus, he’s got a $19.25 million base salary. Lower the base to $1.5 million and add at least four new years, stretch the signing bonus out over five years, you should get at least $7 million in cap room that way. 

“It will be more if they go the signing-bonus/option-bonus route because the option bonus is really like a signing bonus in the second year, so they wouldn’t have as much prorated the first time around. So (the cap savings) could be over $10 million.”

Signing Ryan to a market value contract would hurt down the road. 

“Your bigger issues are going to come from the fact that you’ve got a bunch of young defensive players on rookie contracts,” Corry said. “You’re going to have to decide which ones to pay.”

This offseason, the Falcons may not be able to retain defensive tackle Dontari Poe and defensive end Adrian Clayborn.

“Even with Poe, Grady Jarrett is going into a contract year,” Corry said. “Poe is going to try to get the going rate for a run-stuffer which is $10 (million), $11 (million) to $12 million per year. Can you really do that and also pay Grady Jarrett? There may be a choice between the two.”

Now, you see why Blank was banging the table for a Falcons-friendly deal. 

“They are going to have to do something,” Corry said. “It’s going to be hard. Philadelphia has two expensive defensive tackles (Fletcher Cox and Timmy Jernigan), but they also have a cheap quarterback, which the Falcons haven’t had since Ryan came in under the old system.”

http://www.myajc.com/blog/atlanta-falcons/cover-ryan-set-become-nfl-first-million-dollar-year-man/mvNeuGBKbSchWNUYtrjgAK/

Again....the question is IS MATT RYAN WORTH $30 MILLION AND SABOTAGING OUR BUDGET FOR THE LENGTH OF HIS EXTENSION?

Edited by lostnmexico

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Article is plain dumb or click bait, the deal will be done for benefit of both parties.  Matt Ryan cap won’t be 30 M till 2021, by that time cap space would be 220M and other QB would be making 35 M. I doubt GG deal changed anything, Ryan’s  deal will probably be around 28-29M. 

In NFL you get a franchise QB who can win ton of games, you pay him. Denver, Jaguars and other teams would happily do bidding for Ryan if he hits FA making it hard for Falcons to sign him. 

6 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

There should be one week timeout for dumb posts. 

Here we go again.....cmon guys stay on topic.  We live in a country where freedom of speech is constitutionally protected.  If you disagree, there are planty of facist countries where you can censor freedom of speech, thought, and expression.  Remember, censorship can go both ways.  I think guys should be put in time out or banned when they get personal and violate the terms of use but that is at the discretion of the moderators and site owners.  Thankfully, we are allowed to express our views.  Unfortunately, tolerance has become an extinct species for many people and respect even more so.

Edited by lostnmexico

Just now, quotemokc said:

Every decent QB that is up for contract is the "highest paid ever" whoever is due after Ryan will get more than him and his contract will look like a bargain in comparison in a few years.

My question is less about the actual compensation due Matt Ryan and more related to how a $30 Million Contract (Or even 28, 29 according to the other poster) affects our ability to compensate the rest of the team and remain competitive.  I am having difficulty here as Grady deserves his money.  Julio is an absolute keeper and we have already PAID the RB handsomely.

In addition, the offense has gone conservative under Sarkisian and it may be that the team prefers a conservative offense while winning with Defense and if the thought process is to invest in Defense how can a team Budget in ALL of the BIG THREE....Julio, Freeman, AND Matt Ryan?

I understand your thinking..you are afraid that by paying Ryan all that money it will handicap the team from keeping the defense together and staying competitive in free agency in the years to come..and obviously Blank feels the same way otherwise he wouldn't have made that comment...but teams just dont trade franchise QB...especially when you make Tyrod Taylor the replacement..

No matter who your QB is, if he's performing you will HAVE to pay him at some point. Not sure where this thought process of not paying the QB and going cheaper came from, but if any of you really want a SB win, you are not going to get one paying a QB peanuts if he's good. You might be able to pull it off with a good QB on a rookie deal if he has a good team around him(Wilson/Wentz) but you will always end up paying, or someone else will.

Edited by A Pimp Named Slickback™

15 minutes ago, lostnmexico said:

Here we go again.....cmon guys stay on topic.  We live in a country where freedom of speech is constitutionally protected.  If you disagree, there are planty of facist countries where you can censor freedom of speech, thought, and expression.  Remember, censorship can go both ways.  I think guys should be put in time out or banned when they get personal and violate the terms of use but that is at the discretion of the moderators and site owners.  Thankfully, we are allowed to express our views.  Unfortunately, tolerance has become an extinct species for many people and respect even more so.

Oh you have every right to post your hot garbage...just like everyone also has every right to call it hot garbage

The Falcons can make Matt Ryan the first "30 million dollar man" without actually paying him 30 mil a year, and I think that is what they will do.

Just give him a ton of money up front and put a couple of huge bogus years on the end for 40 mil per.  Everybody wins. 

1 hour ago, lostnmexico said:

You need to go back to school and actually learn what the 1st amendment is 

1 hour ago, lostnmexico said:

My question is less about the actual compensation due Matt Ryan and more related to how a $30 Million Contract (Or even 28, 29 according to the other poster) affects our ability to compensate the rest of the team and remain competitive.  I am having difficulty here as Grady deserves his money.  Julio is an absolute keeper and we have already PAID the RB handsomely.

In addition, the offense has gone conservative under Sarkisian and it may be that the team prefers a conservative offense while winning with Defense and if the thought process is to invest in Defense how can a team Budget in ALL of the BIG THREE....Julio, Freeman, AND Matt Ryan?

This is the reason why you keep getting flamed a lot man--you post erroneous information and assert it as fact. This isn't a fact, and it's easy to confirm that. The only significant factors that changed from 2016 to 2017 in terms of offensive production can be summed up in the fact that explosive plays (20 yards or more) were down considerably as well as red zone efficiency. Everything else (passing attempts, rushing attempts, rushing YPC) is identical to last season.

3 hours ago, RING OF HONOR said:

I understand your thinking..you are afraid that by paying Ryan all that money it will handicap the team from keeping the defense together and staying competitive in free agency in the years to come..and obviously Blank feels the same way otherwise he wouldn't have made that comment...but teams just dont trade franchise QB...especially when you make Tyrod Taylor the replacement..

Teams sometimes do trade Franchise Quarterbacks.  Steve Young and Bret Favre were both traded during the prime of their careers.  Other teams sometimes hold on to their QBs for too long and they decline like Carson Palmer or Dan Marino.  The typical franchise quarterback will produce solid numbers from ages 25 to 36.  At 32, Ryan is in latter half of that productive range.  That said, his trade value will never be higher again than it is right now.  Even if he were to go out and win another MVP, next year he would be 33.

The question isn't so much about Ryan as it is about the team as a whole.  We can get a tremendous return for Ryan now.  Our team is Young.  Ryan is not so by cashing in Ryan as a lottery ticket we could really build a dynasty in Atlanta if the front office is careful.  This team has to get a younger QB who will be around to peak with our core .

I think it is time to draft a Young QB.  Taylor was suggested as a placeholder while we develop a Young QB because the Carson Wentzes of the world are few and far between and he could be a bridge while our new franchise QB develops.

The other point.  I love this team.  I love Jarrett.  I love Deion Jones.  I love Julio.  I also love Ryan.  But it has become apparent that we must invest in both lines, the secondary will also come up for extensión and a reciever cannot hurt either.  I saw the numbers of the Garrapalo contract.  He is a Young and dynamic player.  For me, it would seem foolish to spend that kind of money on a guy who I think will yield diminished returns as he ages.   I would hate to loose Grady, Deion, or Trufant because we signed Ryan to an Albatross contract in much the same way that the Miami Marlins gave in to emotion and splurged of Giancarlo Stanton who was basically given away to the Yankees.

We can trade Ryan for a mint right now and set up a future for the franchise for years to come.  I know this is not a popular subject but it is a reality of our times that I have come to grips with and I saw Tyrod as a bridge nothing more, but a better bridge than starting a rookie in my opinión.

Edited by lostnmexico

Atlanta Falcons owner: We want Matt Ryan here for life

All that matters is what Arthur thinks,they can still extend Ryan freeing up cap space and take care some of the pressing needs. Because of continuity can't see any QB we could bring in that would give the Falcons a better shot at the Super Bowl next year probably the year after too.. Not to mention it's not like Ryan's been banged up his whole career

5 minutes ago, JerseyNo12 said:

This is the reason why you keep getting flamed a lot man--you post erroneous information and assert it as fact.

I most certainly did not. 

My comments: In addition, the offense has gone conservative under Sarkisian and it may be that the team prefers a conservative offense while winning with Defense and if the thought process is to invest in Defense how can a team Budget in ALL of the BIG THREE....Julio, Freeman, AND Matt Ryan?

That my friend is an opinión.  I posted no erroneous information at all.  I expressed my believe that the offense has gone conservative and opined that IT MAY BE that the team prefers a conservative offense.

When I post information, it will be verified amigo but an opinión does not constitute a fact.  Flame me all you want but at least I know the difference between facts and opinions.