Arkridge

Keke Coutee (WR Texas Tech)- Taylor Gabriel's Replacement

7 posts in this topic

Anyone looked at this kid from Texas Tech yet? I came away very impressed. Very similar to Taylor Gabriel but much tougher. So much big play ability yet so much toughness in the open field, he's very hard to bring down once he gets going. Plays so much bigger than his size would indicate. So physical. He's a pure speed weapon but also has experience coming out of the backfield to catch passes, plays predominantly in the slot. He'll most likely be the fastest guy at the combine, I've seen estimates in the low 4.3s. It'll be between he and LSU CB Donte Jackson for fastest guy there.

Anyway, for anyone like me who thinks Taylor Gabriel takes off for San Francisco in free agency, we could use a burner on the outside to take the top off of defenses. This guy is perfect for that. He was Tech's kick/punt returner as well, an area of need for us as our guys there just weren't impressive at all last year. Given his size, he won't go early but I would be very happy if we took him in the 3rd or 4th round. He'd be an immediate impact guy in our offense based on speed alone.

Anyone have any thoughts on him? If you haven't looked into him yet, I suggest you do. Here are a few clips:

datchrisb1 and Smiler11 like this

4 minutes ago, Smiler11 said:

Yes...! He caught my eye whilst watching Nic Shimonek. Love the guy. Not sure he is Gabriel fast but very few are.

Yeah not sure he's Gabriel fast either, but it's hard to compare to Gabriel in the speed department. I think he makes up for it being tougher than Gabriel is in the open field and versatility in his route tree. Even if he is a step behind Gabriel he's not lacking in the speed department either, only maybe 2-3 guys beating Keke's straight line speed in the NFL if you ask me.

I had the exact same thought ... Taylor Gabriel replacement... when watching tape of him & I was thiiiissssss close to having us draft him in my mock offseason.

Then I remembered that we didn't really use Gabriel effectively this year, so what's the point of replacing him w/ a player very similar in stature & skillset?

IMO, it makes more sense to fill the vacancy in the WR corps created once Gabe leaves with a guy who is more of a poor man's Julio. We need a 6'3" or taller guy with solid speed who can play on the outside. We already have two guys in Sanu & Hardy who are particularly solid when lined up in the slot, so I'm not into another WR competing for the exact same role. Get a guy who can play well & pose a legit threat on one side, have Julio on the other side, and Sanu kicks in to the slot... that'll cause way more headaches for an opposing D than what we did with Gabe this past season... the constant WR screens that get blown up so frequently or the ill-advised deep jump balls to a guy who's 5'9" & getting covered by a 6'2" CB or safety.

OilFuturesTrader19 likes this

On 2/14/2018 at 7:38 AM, Smiler11 said:

Yes...! He caught my eye whilst watching Nic Shimonek. Love the guy. Not sure he is Gabriel fast but very few are.

That's who curiously I watched more than the mentioned aswell.Nice throws big arm.Think I'd look at the QB before the WRer lol.

4 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

That's who curiously I watched more than the mentioned aswell.Nice throws big arm.Think I'd look at the QB before the WRer lol.

Yeah Shimonek has a lot of nice tools. That Texas Tech offense didn't miss a beat with him replacing Mahomes. If we take a late round QB I hope we look at him.

Big arm but also great ball placement on his deep ball.

kiwifalcon likes this