Why do you think Tight End(TE)is a need?

FRIZZ3L

Calling all Falcons fans. Why do certain people/or yourself think we need a Tight End(TE). Because I'm under the belief we don't need a TE. Tight End is not a need for the Atlanta Falcons. The people trying to make this a need is mind boggling to me. So help me understand.

Because Austin Hooper in a sophomore year was decent. And average around where the Veterans were averaging in the league.

Considering the entire offense was lackluster. He was decent. And if the team gets back to the offense we know they can be(It doesn't have to be Shanahan offense) but back to the good offense we remember in the Matt Ryan years. Then Austin Hooper will be fine.

But if you feel different, let me know. So I can see where people are coming from with this need at TE. That nobody see but fans.

Edited by FRIZZ3L
Link

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A good TE helps alot at the goal line and converting 3rd downs. Last year, Hooper was the only threat opposing defenses had to prepare for in the middle, coming off the line.

When we made the superbowl run, Tamme helped a bunch till he went down and Toilolo played his heart out along with rookie-Hoopa. Tamme wasn't replaced and we can't just hope the defense just forgets to cover Toilolo every year.

Giving Matt more big options to convert 3rd downs and endzone passing attempts seems logical to me. 

Hopper is decent but behind him we have nothing. Toilolo is an overpaid blocking TE and Saubert could still be anything. 

Two TE sets is a staple of Sarks scheme, so having another option who defenses have to account for could really open things up. 

There are more important needs but the position can definitely be upgraded.

Versatility. That's why.

TE is the most versatile position on offense after RB.

I have nothing against Hooper but he doesn't put any pressure on the defense. He is as you said Average. So unless you want to remain average then you should always look to improve. 

Hence, finding some combo of size, athleticism, and skill at the position should be a priority. Especially since we haven't invested a 1st or 2nd round pick on an offense skill player in......since Julio actually. Wow.

I just checked and in Matt Ryan's career, Julio is the only skill player we drafted in the 1st 2 rounds. Random. But I digress

I could care less about the names being tossed around. All I know is right now we have room for improvement. Some injection of top skill in our offense will go a long way

Watch how the offense takes off with a true threat at the position.

OP doesn’t understand, we don’t want hooper replaced. We need another weapon in red zone, which we were horrible in last year.

Our offense would be unstoppable adding another TE weapon to go with hooper...see how effective Pats were with Gronk-Hernandez together running two-TE sets. 

3 hours ago, IndiscreetGeek said:

Zack Ertz, Travis Kelce and Rob Gonkowski should be enough evidence that everyone needs a good TE.

****, think back to when we had Gonzales... They help stretch the field and help you make clutch 3rd downs, TDs.

I get the point you are trying to make, but I feel like you are leaving out an incredibly important part of it... all those dudes you mention are the primary targets in the passing game for their teams. They put up huge numbers due to volume.

If you take Hooper’s numbers and prorate them out to match the targets those guys get, guess what??? He’s also in the 900-1100 yards & 6-10 TD club.

Hooper is fine.

Your issue is with volume of targets, but as long as Julio & Sanu are here, that’s not likely to change. Only so many targets per game to go around, ya know?

Common sense. Who is the 3rd TE in this offense? Eric Saubert had 30 snaps all year. Anyone else who had snaps in this offense is gone like Perkins who had 72 snaps the previous year and Tamme , even with being injured had 329 snaps. No one is left.

So, who is the third TE? We used to run 3 TE sets. We beat the unbeatable Broncos on the road with 3 TE sets. Now we don't even carry 3 viable TEs. We have Toiletbowl, who is a blocker only. Hooper who dropped passes that turned into INTs and Saubert who couldn't find the field.

Sitting complacent is what got Mike Smith Fired. Thinking "well these young guys will magically get better" is how we started Bartu, Worrilow and Shembo in 2014.  It is how DQ started Mike Person and Idiot Stone at Center in 2015. How did that work for us? No we need to bring in a TE in the draft or FA.

4 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

The real question is why do people want to replace hooper

I don't think we do...at least not those of us with a brain...it's this...

4 hours ago, Vandy said:

OP doesn’t understand, we don’t want hooper replaced. We need another weapon in red zone, which we were horrible in last year.

Our offense would be unstoppable adding another TE weapon to go with hooper...see how effective Pats were with Gronk-Hernandez together running two-TE sets. 

We went from Tamme/Levi/Hoop to Hoop/Levi if you really think about it.  We basically are down a TE from the explosive year we had.  Not that it is the primary reason, but I really do think another threat to pair along side Hoop will be very beneficial to this offense.

I love Levi, but he is a blocking TE.  He doesn't have the speed or athleticism to be that for us.  We need another move TE oppo Hooper imo

6 minutes ago, athell said:

We went from Tamme/Levi/Hoop to Hoop/Levi if you really think about it.  We basically are down a TE from the explosive year we had.  Not that it is the primary reason, but I really do think another threat to pair along side Hoop will be very beneficial to this offense.

I love Levi, but he is a blocking TE.  He doesn't have the speed or athleticism to be that for us.  We need another move TE oppo Hooper imo

Maybe it’s saubert....but maybe it’s this guy?

8 minutes ago, athell said:

I’m saying we comment so hes referring to isn’t all the people wanting hooper replaced. Peeps been replacing hooper since last year

Personally I wouldn't use a pick on a TE except maybe in later rounds if someone decent is still available. Have said before and I'll mention again that we do have Alex Gray on the practice squad and he would be eligible to play this yr. Granted he is a rugby star and has never played NFL football but who knows he could develop into a star. Dude is a stud in rugby football. Only way we will know is to get him some playing time in preseason. Can't hurt to take a look and give him a shot to see what he's got.

5 hours ago, Vandy said:

Yup. Love Hooper and he’s going to be a good one, but another threat at TE would be huge for the offense. I’m a sucker for TE’s 

Given how strapped we are for cap space, TE cant afford to be a need, and neither can WR, G or FS. We currently have too much invested in the aforementioned, and not enough time and cap space to solidify the front seven along with those other positions. 

I’m not saying those positions couldn’t be further improved, just that we can still see moderate improvement from our internal options and should expect that given the resources previously allocated (Wes 5th round draft pick, 2 yrs exp.; Harlow 4th round draft pick, 1 yr exp.; Levitre 8.5 MM?). 

We’re all in for a SB this year and must be more strategic and creative than ever to solidify a roster only two years removed from a SB, and only offseason removed from being considered the most talented roster in the NFL. We didn’t just lose all that overnight. Better execution and an infusion of talent along the front seven (at least one LB, two DT’s and a DE) will get us where we want if the offense can better execute, which doesn’t require better players, just better play from the ones we currently have. 

11 hours ago, FRIZZ3L said:

I don't think we need to use a high draft pick or even bring in an FA. However, I do think we need to add someone who's a threat to take snaps. Hoop is good, If he stops jumping offsides. However, beyond him we have a blocker and essentially a Rook in Saubert. 

Personally, I'd like to see Grey be the guy who ups the competition but, a late round pick like Ian Thomas (Hoosiers) could be that guy. Great size, hands, blocking. At the very least we need a more potent group IMHO.  

1 hour ago, runshoot said:

Common sense. Who is the 3rd TE in this offense? Eric Saubert had 30 snaps all year. Anyone else who had snaps in this offense is gone like Perkins who had 72 snaps the previous year and Tamme , even with being injured had 329 snaps. No one is left.

So, who is the third TE? We used to run 3 TE sets. We beat the unbeatable Broncos on the road with 3 TE sets. Now we don't even carry 3 viable TEs. We have Toiletbowl, who is a blocker only. Hooper who dropped passes that turned into INTs and Saubert who couldn't find the field.

Sitting complacent is what got Mike Smith Fired. Thinking "well these young guys will magically get better" is how we started Bartu, Worrilow and Shembo in 2014.  It is how DQ started Mike Person and Idiot Stone at Center in 2015. How did that work for us? No we need to bring in a TE in the draft or FA.

This exactly...