Every team's record the year their stadium hosted the Super Bowl since 2014.

mqg96

I'm going to start with 2014, because according to the article, from 2001-2013 (are we really talking 13 consecutive years here?) every team who hosted the Super Bowl in their own stadium/city missed the playoffs. The 2014 Arizona Cardinals were the 6th team in Super Bowl era to qualify for the playoffs in a season their stadium hosted the Super Bowl, and they were the first to qualify for the playoffs when they hosted the Super Bowl since the 2000 Buccaneers. Here's the good news, since then, 3 out of the last 4 teams who hosted a Super Bowl in their stadium made the playoffs. 

Super Bowl 49 Location: University of Phoenix Stadium, Glendale, Arizona

2014 Arizona Cardinals

Record: 11-5 

Results: Lost wildcard playoff to the Panthers, and that Cardinals team was decimated by injuries. 

Super Bowl 50 Location: Levi's Stadium, Santa Clara, California

2015 San Francisco 49ers

Record: 5-11 

Results: Did Not Qualify

Super Bowl 51 Location: NRG Stadium, Houston, Texas

2016 Houston Texans

Record: 9-7

Results: Lost divisional round to the Patriots. They had the #1 total defense in the NFL and gave Brady a horrible game, but Brock Oswelier doomed them. 

Super Bowl 52 Location: U.S. Bank Stadium, Minneapolis, Minnesota

2017 Minnesota Vikings

Record: 13-3

Results: Lost NFC Championship to the Eagles. They had the #2 defense in the NFL for awhile, but after the 49ers and Jimmy G torched the Jaguars D, they moved up to #1 in total defense. They were the closest out of all the teams in Super Bowl history to almost make it to the Super Bowl in their hometown, but the curse continued, and their defense got blasted badly in Philly. Was this bad Case Keenum or bad Vikings D?

2018 College Football Playoff National Championship 

For a bonus, in college football the Georgia Bulldogs made it here going 13-1 coming into the game, but unfortunately fell to Alabama in OT. 

Here's some key stats we need to keep in mind. The last 2 teams (2016 Texans and 2017 Vikings) who hosted the Super Bowl had the top defense in the league through 16 games of the regular season. Could the 2018 Falcons be the 3rd straight team hosting a Super Bowl to have a defense that's at least top 3? Especially if we improve in our turnover margin and stopping the run better? Absolutely. Look at how scary our defense got throughout 2017. 3 out of the last 4 teams who hosted the Super Bowl lost the wildcard, the divisional round, and the conference championship game in that order. The Vikings came the closest. Does this mean the Falcons will finally be the team to break the home stadium Super Bowl curse? I don't want to just get to the Super Bowl in Atlanta, I would like for us to WIN it. 

The 2015 49ers played the AFC North with a schedule at Steelers, vs Ravens, at Browns, vs Bengals, and they missed the playoffs. The 2017 Vikings played the AFC North with a schedule at Steelers, vs Ravens, at Browns, vs Bengals, and they made it to the NFC championship and got blasted by the Eagles in Philly. The 2014 Cardinals are weird though, their playoff exits occurred against the Panthers in Carolina in back to back years, what do I mean by this? Well in 2015, the year after they failed to make it to the Super Bowl in their hometown, they played the AFC North and finished 13-3 (just like the 2017 Vikings) and their schedule was at Steelers, vs Ravens, at Browns, and vs Bengals. They made it to the NFC championship and got blasted by the Panthers in Carolina. Sounds similar to the 2017 Vikings right? Well, if you look at the 2018 Falcons schedule, guess how our AFC North schedule goes? You remember, at Steelers, vs Ravens, at Browns, and vs Bengals. Uh oh... BTW, the 2015 49ers, the 2015 Cardinals (after 2014 when they failed), and the 2017 Vikings all got blasted in Pittsburgh in the regular season. I want that to change for our 2018 Falcons (who have never won in Pittsburgh BTW, but we tied there in 2002). Does this mean the 2018 Falcons are bound to go 13-3 and get blasted by lets say the 49ers on the road for the NFC title game as a Shanahan revenge factor game? Worst nightmare lol! I hope not. Getting the Matt Ryan contract right, our defense being great, and SARKISIAN getting his act together will be the determining factor. Dan Quinn will have our guys ready.

Keep in mind, since the division alignment in 2002. Only the 2002 Bucs and the 2004 Eagles made the Super Bowl playing the AFC North. Only 2 franchises out of the NFC have made the Super Bowl playing the AFC South. The 2003 Panthers, 2005 Seahawks, the 2013 Seahawks, and the 2015 Panthers. Wow. From 2006-2012, for 7 consecutive years the team out of the NFC made the Super Bowl playing the AFC East. That sure wouldn't have worked in the Falcons favor since we always play horrible in AFC East seasons. Since 2014, 3 out of the last 4 teams out of the NFC made the Super Bowl playing the AFC West. The 2014 Seahawks, our 2016 Falcons, and the 2017 Eagles. In 2018 the NFC West plays the AFC West and that would work in the 49ers favor if they are contenders next season. 2020 is the next time the Falcons play the AFC West and we all know our AFC West seasons like 2004, 2008, 2012, and 2016 have been our best. If the 2016 Falcons were like the 1991 Braves, then the 2020 Falcons will be like the 1995 Braves. These stats don't mean the 2018 Falcons don't have a chance of making the Super Bowl, we have the talent and our window is here RIGHT NOW, but we just have to believe as a fan base that we can accomplish something special. 

Edited by mqg96

7 minutes ago, Atlantafan21 said:

Why would shanahan want revenge on us? We should we revenge on him. Great stats tho. I hope we beat Pittsburgh as well. Would leave New England as only team Matt needs to beat, maybe he’ll get the chance again in the SB.

revenge for what exactly ?

3 minutes ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

Revenge for crafting the 7th highest scoring offense of all-time of course.

Ya know... i think your right !! Thats gotta be it. I sure am glad he wants revenge for making the offense look so unstoppable. We want the offense from 2013 and 2014!! 

/s

38 minutes ago, Atlantafan21 said:

Why would shanahan want revenge on us? We should want revenge on him. Great stats tho. I hope we beat Pittsburgh as well. Would leave New England as only team Matt needs to beat, maybe he’ll get the chance again in the SB.

I was joking when I said that. It would be hilarious and a lot of tension if the Falcons and 49ers met in the playoffs in the next couple of years. We will be playing the 49ers in Santa Clara again come 2019. 

Edited by mqg96

37 minutes ago, Atlantafan21 said:

Why would shanahan want revenge on us? We should want revenge on him. Great stats tho. I hope we beat Pittsburgh as well. Would leave New England as only team Matt needs to beat, maybe he’ll get the chance again in the SB.

What if the Falcons lose to the Steelers in Pittsburgh, but we have a rematch against the Steelers in the Super Bowl in our home stadium? That be awesome! As for Matt Ryan's chance against the Patriots, if he's still playing, probably the 2021 game in Atlanta, but unfortunately would beating the Patriots without Brady give us any bragging rights? From 1980-1998 we played the Patriots once every 3 years and we went 6-1 against them in that stretch. Even our worst Falcons teams could beat the Patriots. Since 2001 when Brady & Belichick got there, we are 0-6 in the series. Heck I wouldn't be surprised if the Falcons next win against the Patriots is the 2025 game in New England. It's just like how Georgia can't ever beat Alabama in the state of Georgia (Athens or Atlanta). Georgia has had more success against Alabama in Tuscaloosa, and Georgia goes back to Tuscaloosa in 2020 for the first time since 2007. 

Edited by mqg96

13 minutes ago, mqg96 said:

What if the Falcons lose to the Steelers in Pittsburgh, but we have a rematch against the Steelers in the Super Bowl in our home stadium? That be awesome! As for Matt Ryan's chance against the Patriots, if he's still playing, probably the 2021 game in Atlanta, but unfortunately would beating the Patriots without Brady give us any bragging rights? From 1980-1998 we played the Patriots once every 3 years and we went 6-1 against them in that stretch. Even our worst Falcons teams could beat the Patriots. Since 2001 when Brady & Belichick got there, we are 0-6 in the series. Heck I wouldn't be surprised if the Falcons next win against the Patriots is the 2025 game in New England. It's just like how Georgia can't ever beat Alabama in the state of Georgia (Athens or Atlanta). Georgia has had more success against Alabama in Tuscaloosa, and Georgia goes back to Tuscaloosa in 2020 for the first time since 2007. 

My thinking is that if we don’t beat pats with Brady/Billichek, it doesn’t matter. I don’t care about a win against Pats it it’s against a scrub team in 2020. I want to beat them once before they retire. Only way that happens is a SB.