Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JD dirtybird21

The Falcons should go get Earl Thomas

164 posts in this topic

The Falcons should really consider getting Earl Thomas from the Seahawks. He flat out told another team to come get him and the Seahawks would likely listen to offers at this point. The Falcons have tons of young talent on this roster but the team now has a mentality of winning the super bowl. It shouldn't be about depth at this point, it should be about getting deadlier in areas we are already good at. I would trade Allen and a draft pick like a 3rd or 4th for Thomas immediately. Here is why it makes sense:

- Thomas knows Quinn's vision of his defense. He also knows that Quinn will play to his strengths. He could be an immediate contributor.

- He's a special talent. This defense lacked playmakers last year. Thomas is a playmaker. In this defense, playing with Neal, Trufant, Alford, Debo, and this D-line, he would get MANY opportunities to make game changing plays.

- Allen does his job, but he isn't a difference maker. In this defense, the FS position is critical. We need a playmaker here.

I know that Allen is a favorite in the locker room, but the reality is, he's not a playmaker. If the Falcons want a super bowl caliber defense, I believe a player like Thomas is the answer. The Falcons should do what they can to be as unstoppable as possible. I want to see a big move this offseason. Thomas is right there, they need to go get him.

1 minute ago, Slappywhite said:

Just a guess but , what would you think it would take to get him , or what would you be willing to give ? 

Well, if Thomas told the Cowboys after a game to "come get me." I'm sure the Seahawks realize now that his loyalty is pretty much out the door. His trade value only goes down the more they hang on to him. Trading a young prospect like Ricardo Allen and possibly a 4th round pick doesn't sound very unreasonable. The Hawks aren't in the best shape cap wise and may need actually rebuild that roster. I really don't think a team will have to trade that much to get him. It's like when we traded a 7th round pick for Asante Samuel in 2012, that was a steal.

1 minute ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Well, if Thomas told the Cowboys after a game to "come get me." I'm sure the Seahawks realize now that his loyalty is pretty much out the door. His trade value only goes down the more they hang on to him. Trading a young prospect like Ricardo Allen and possibly a 4th round pick doesn't sound very unreasonable. The Hawks aren't in the best shape cap wise and may need actually rebuild that roster. I really don't think a team will have to trade that much to get him. It's like when we traded a 7th round pick for Asante Samuel in 2012, that was a steal.

Get it done!

To bad we sent that 5 to Denver , thats what I'd offer on lowball, if  he's deadset on leaving and has no loyalty ,they may take that.   

Edited by Slappywhite

Thomas would definitely change the game. This defense would be top 3 with a healthy Thomas. His talents have not dropped at all to whoever said that.

he won’t sign cheap, he won’t come in a trade for a low round pick. If Seattle doesn’t re-sign him they get a third round comp likely, why would they take a 5th? 

Wanted Berry at any cost, and would say the same for Thomas. That said, the S/CB for the Rams (LeMarcus Joyner) may be a more feasible option if he hits UFA.

2 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

Thomas would definitely change the game. This defense would be top 3 with a healthy Thomas. His talents have not dropped at all to whoever said that.

he won’t sign cheap, he won’t come in a trade for a low round pick. If Seattle doesn’t re-sign him they get a third round comp likely, why would they take a 5th? 

Wanted Berry at any cost, and would say the same for Thomas. That said, the S/CB for the Rams (LeMarcus Joyner) may be a more feasible option if he hits UFA.

Wow! You like Joyner?

4 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

Thomas is in a contract year. If the Seahawks know he won't re-sign, then trading him may make more sense. And to me, Ricardo Allen plus a 4th is better than a 3rd comp pick.

And I agree Berry and Joyner are awesome. But Thomas knows this defense. That's the difference.

26 minutes ago, Slappywhite said:

He's not the talent he once was but could really be a difference maker here if he comes cheap .  I like it if we move Allen into the slot role . I like his big brain out there. 

Perhaps cheap in terms of what you'd have to trade for him, but he said that he could hold out if he isn't signed to a long term deal.  I assume he also means being one of the highest paid safeties.

5 minutes ago, PK Manley said:

Perhaps cheap in terms of what you'd have to trade for him, but he said that he could hold out if he isn't signed to a long term deal.  I assume he also means being one of the highest paid safeties.

So pay him. He'd be worth it IMO

Knight of God likes this

Compensation and cap would be the key to making a trade like this happen.If a trade were to take place for the best FS in the league you better believe Carroll is starting 3rd round or better.

I think it's a buyer beware type situation is Thomas on the way up or plateaued if it's the latter and it costs us some of the young talent we've already drafted I can't pull the trigger.We aren't desperate so we don't need to act like we are.

I love the player though and yes I'd take him in a heartbeat but not at all costs though.

Ps I don't think Allen is enticing enough for Carroll.Also who are we not resigning if we get    Thomas.

Gotta start with Reed Shelby Poe Clayborn Upshaw Bosher among some.

6 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Compensation and cap would be the key to making a trade like this happen.If a trade were to take place for the best FS in the league you better believe Carroll is starting 2nd round or better.

I think it's a buyer beware type situation is Thomas on the way up or plateaued if it's the latter and it costs us some of the young talent we've already drafted I can't pull the trigger.We aren't desperate so we don't need to act like we are.

I love the player though and yes I'd take him in a heartbeat but not at all costs though.

Ps I don't think Allen is enticing enough for Carroll.Also who are we not resigning if we get    Thomas.

Gotta start with Clayborn Upshaw Bosher among some.

You also have to consider retirement. He already talked about retiring last offseason. Was that due to his injury or is he losing the passion for the game? 

Dirtybird3 and Slappywhite like this

Just now, rbrick28 said:

You also have to consider retirement. He already talked about retiring last offseason. Was that due to his injury or is he losing the passion for the game? 

Didn't even think of that I think he knows Seattle are in a rebuilding phase and he may not want to go through it again.So I guess if he wanted to come to a contender Atlanta is a good as spot as any.Passion yeah if he's stays in Seattle it may well wane but a fresh place could be just what he needs to get the juices going again.

Slappywhite likes this

Two years ago (or even last year), I'd been all over this but considering the cap impact it would likely carry, I think it would hurt us more than help us.  We're pretty close to the point of where we don't need him.  It's obvious that he's not so happy with the Seahawks anymore and his actions border on detrimental to the team and that is something I prefer not to see in our clubhouse. 

he told the cowboys to ''come get him, when seattle kicks him to the curb". he grew up in texas and like most kids dreamed of playing for the cowboys.

43 minutes ago, falconfansince66 said:

Two years ago (or even last year), I'd been all over this but considering the cap impact it would likely carry, I think it would hurt us more than help us.  We're pretty close to the point of where we don't need him.  It's obvious that he's not so happy with the Seahawks anymore and his actions border on detrimental to the team and that is something I prefer not to see in our clubhouse. 

Who cares about the cap? That's irrelevant to us fans. If the Falcons get him, they should. He's a difference maker. The goal is to ultimately win a championship, not save money

11 minutes ago, birdz4i said:

he told the cowboys to ''come get him, when seattle kicks him to the curb". he grew up in texas and like most kids dreamed of playing for the cowboys.

Reminds me of Bruce Irvin wanting to come here

I’ll bring him in. While the window is still open. A free agent guard and a few pieces on defense. We all set. If shark and Quinn somehow fix the offense. This is a Super Bowl team

Slappywhite and Knight of God like this

31 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Who cares about the cap? That's irrelevant to us fans. If the Falcons get him, they should. He's a difference maker. The goal is to ultimately win a championship, not save money

Im sure Mr Blank wouldn't mind a little luxury tax if it brings him a championship...

40 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

You got to care about cap now as we've mortgaged our future with younger talent which is about to get paid there's no way around it.

HASHBROWN3 likes this