I wish Bill Bellicheck would have been dumb enough to bench Malcolm Butler before SB 51!

Falcons Fan MVP

2 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

I'm sure it would have made a difference. Nick Foles dropped 41 on them. The Pats D couldn't stop a nose bleed.

Different game, different context to start with. The Pats failed to stop us until we dismantled as a result of poor execution and play calling. Benching Butler prior to our game would not have altered any of that.

It pains me greatly that we choked in that game but I think we need to get over the what might have beens and move on now

31 minutes ago, halifaxfalcon said:

Different game, different context to start with. The Pats failed to stop us until we dismantled as a result of poor execution and play calling. Benching Butler prior to our game would not have altered any of that.

It pains me greatly that we choked in that game but I think we need to get over the what might have beens and move on now

I can accept a loss a lot better if WE choked rather than bad bounces, bad luck or bad calls from the referees. That's just me though.

Just now, Falcons Fan MVP said:

I can accept a loss a lot better if WE choked rather than bad bounces, bad luck or bad calls from the referees. That's just me though.

We did choke...bad bounces, bad luck, bad calls would not have mattered at all if we did not choke the game away.

Just now, Falconsfan567 said:

Well that Julien Edleman catch, OMG!! That was about as bad as it gets. I didn't think I'd ever see anything worse than that and Marvin Hall 1-upped it with his butt interception.

Oh no doubt.  It's up there with Keanu's knee deflection.  Terrible luck.  However, if the boys do their jobs, if Shanny calls the right plays, **** if you run 3 times and kick a FG, none of that matters.

34 minutes ago, halifaxfalcon said:

I'm pretty much over that game. I was sad on Super Bowl Sunday because it brought back sad memories. One year anniversary basically. I think we all were. I handled it real well IMO. I am actually way more angry at the 23-7 loss to the Patriots this season. That loss pi$$ed me off bad. We played like trash for 4 quarters in a game we should have been fired up for.

26 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Since when is Malcolm Butler a clone of Deion Sanders?

Deion Jones in his prime (and I believe his prime is yet to come) is better than Malcolm Butler by a wide margin. Malcolm Butler only gets praise because of the most legendary goal line interception in NFL history. What else has he done that spectacular outside of that? Richard Sherman was a pick 6 machine and shutdown corner in his prime back in 2013. Never saw any of that with Butler. 

3 minutes ago, mqg96 said:

"Deep breaths" Didn't Matt Ryan miss that wide open Gabriel last season? 

You talking about that specific play in the superbowl?  He made that completion.  Unless you are saying he missed a wide open Gabriel this season?  Yeah, Matt missed a lot of wide open guys this year :(

Edited by athell

1 minute ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

I'm pretty much over that game. I was sad on Super Bowl Sunday because it brought back sad memories. One year anniversary basically. I think we all were. I handled it real well IMO. I am actually way more angry at the 23-7 loss to the Patriots this season. That loss pi$$ed me off bad. We played like trash for 4 quarters in a game we should have been fired up for.

That was a game where the Patriots didn't stop the Falcons, the Falcons kept stopping themselves including Matt Bryant having 2 rare missed field goals in the fog. Our defense held Brady & Gronk to 6 points in the 2nd half which was pretty good. That was a hookah-lookah night for the Falcons where the Patriots voodoo dolls were controlling us. We left at least 17 points off the board. Cam Newton with less talented receivers and Mike Shula went to New England and put 33 on the board against them. Why couldn't we do it (oh wait, but no way in **** I'm bring that conversation over here). Keep in mind the Falcons were 0-4 vs. the Patriots (Belichick) and the Eagles (Doug Peterson) the past 2 seasons. That's a red herring that should be used to see where the team can improve on a lot. 

Deion Jones in his prime (and I believe his prime is yet to come) is better than Malcolm Butler by a wide margin. Malcolm Butler only gets praise because of the most legendary goal line interception in NFL history. What else has he done that spectacular outside of that? Richard Sherman was a pick 6 machine and shutdown corner in his prime back in 2013. Never saw any of that with Butler. 

Why would you compare players that play different positions?

3 minutes ago, athell said:

You talking about that specific play in the superbowl?  He made that completion.  Unless you are saying he missed a wide open Gabriel this season?  Yeah, Matt missed a lot of wide open guys this year :(

Okay I didn't remember which quarter that was in. 

Just now, Falconsfan567 said:

Why would you compare players that play different positions?

True, but I do believe Malcolm Butler a bit overrated for how the media praises him, and a lot of that has to do with the scheme he plays in with the Patriots (Belichick Belichick Belichick). There's so many guys from the Patriots roster I'd wonder how they'd do somewhere else. 

True, but I do believe Malcolm Butler a bit overrated for how the media praises him, and a lot of that has to do with the scheme he plays in with the Patriots (Belichick Belichick Belichick). There's so many guys from the Patriots roster I'd wonder how they'd do somewhere else. 

He absolutely is. Hence the Deion Sanders reference dripping with sarcasm.

4 minutes ago, mqg96 said:

That was a game where the Patriots didn't stop the Falcons, the Falcons kept stopping themselves including Matt Bryant having 2 rare missed field goals in the fog. Our defense held Brady & Gronk to 6 points in the 2nd half which was pretty good. That was a hookah-lookah night for the Falcons where the Patriots voodoo dolls were controlling us. We left at least 17 points off the board. Cam Newton with less talented receivers and Mike Shula went to New England and put 33 on the board against them. Why couldn't we do it (oh wait, but no way in **** I'm bring that conversation over here). Keep in mind the Falcons were 0-4 vs. the Patriots (Belichick) and the Eagles (Doug Peterson) the past 2 seasons. That's a red herring that should be used to see where the team can improve on a lot. 

The Panthers do well vs Tom Brady historically. We almost got shutout vs Pats. I know we should have scored 16-20 points that day. My pet peeve is NEVER get shut out. Scoring 0 points in a game would infuriate me. Especially a revenge game or playoff gameT. hat 24-2 game vs The Giants and 23-7 vs Patriots were hard to take for me anyways.  

36 minutes ago, athell said:

What did Butler do against us last year?  I forget.

tdKgrET.gif

In my all times watching this, I always focused on Butler falling. Look how horrible the route is from Gabriel. Arms flailing everywhere. 

Gabe gave us some good moments last season, but we need a better route runner who can find space in the slot.