Monoxide

The Trump Presidency (take 2)

140,928 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, mdrake34 said:

I should temper my prediction that these cases will go to SCOTUS - the AL and GA bills will be challenged in federal courts under the appellate jurisdiction of the 11th Circuit.  If the federal district courts hold the laws wholly or partially unconstitutional, and if the 11th Circuit affirms those decisions, then Kavanaugh could vote to deny cert to an appeal to the 11th Circuit's decision. 

However, the ACLU's suit against Ohio was filed in federal court there, which would be in the Sixth Circuit's appellate jurisdiction.  A circuit split could force SCOTUS' hand to grant cert.

3 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

This old man's Twitter is woke AF.

Our grievances with Iran go back to the '79 revolution.  Hopefully we can limit the exchange, like the Tanker War of the 80s.

1 minute ago, Red&Black said:

Our grievances with Iran go back to the '79 revolution.  Hopefully we can limit the exchange, like the Tanker War of the 80s.

Or hopefully we don't spend blood and treasure fighting a theocratic sponsor of terrorism for the sake of an ally- that is also a theocratic sponsor of terrorism

Carter, Statick, mdrake34 and 4 others like this

51 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

Sorry, but none of that is empirically true.  The Democrats have not moderated.  They have moved farther left.  Not as much as the GOP, but they have moved left over the past 40 years.  I've provided the empirical evidence for that numerous times.

The GOP has paid a price for lurching right.  And they have lost a lot of state and local seats along the way.  If you want to point to Obama's term then you have to recognize that was a reaction to a Dem president...voters almost always turn against the party in power largely because they view that party as too ideologically extreme.  That same dynamic has happened since almost after the 2016 election.  And look at Trump's approval...about 10-15% lower than what we would expect with this economy.  

unless i'm not recalling correctly, dw-nominate doesn't make any distinction between economic and social polices, yeah?

I just read a tweet that made me light headed.  I don't want any of yall to see it, and I think I would faint at my desk if I clicked on it again to even try to post it here.

18 minutes ago, mdrake34 said:

I just read a tweet that made me light headed.  I don't want any of yall to see it, and I think I would faint at my desk if I clicked on it again to even try to post it here.

What? Now I gotta know...

10 minutes ago, mdrake34 said:

As a veteran and person who helps train Special Forces, just why would we consider ever going to war with Iran at this juncture. It sounds like smoke and mirrors to me.

That and we're already spread too thin as a military as it is.

2 minutes ago, Statick said:

As a veteran and person who helps train Special Forces, just why would we consider ever going to war with Iran at this juncture. It sounds like smoke and mirrors to me.

That and we're already spread too thin as a military as it is.

I really hope it’s just a distraction from the fallout of the Mueller report and that I’m falling for it hook, line, and sinker.