Monoxide

The Trump Presidency (take 2)

141,269 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Statick said:

WTF? If this is true, people need to go to jail and impeachment proceedings need to happen ASAP.

In our current timeline neither of those things will happen and people that could hold them accountable will just shrug and move on.

2 hours ago, Doozer said:

It never made sense that the L+ community has called for the impeachment of the most pro-gay president in History, leaving Pence to take over.

lmao

from the 2016 republican platform on which the president was elected:

Activist Judiciary Traditional marriage and family, based on marriage between one man and one woman, is the foundation for a free society and has for millennia been entrusted with rearing children and instilling cultural values. We condemn the Supreme Court’s ruling in United States v. Windsor, which wrongly removed the ability of Congress to define marriage policy in federal law. We also condemn the Supreme Court’s lawless ruling in Obergefell v. Hodges, which in the words of the late Justice Antonin Scalia, was a “judicial Putsch” — full of “silly extravagances” — that reduced “the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Storey to the mystical aphorisms of a fortune cookie.” In Obergefell, five unelected lawyers robbed 320 million Americans of their legitimate constitutional authority to define marriage as the union of one man and one woman. The Court twisted the meaning of the Fourteenth Amendment beyond recognition. To echo Scalia, we dissent. We, therefore, support the appointment of justices and judges who respect the constitutional limits on their power and respect the authority of the states to decide such fundamental social questions.

https://prod-cdn-static.gop.com/media/documents/DRAFT_12_FINAL[1]-ben_1468872234.pdf

Sn4tteRBoxXeR and mdrake34 like this

11 minutes ago, mdrake34 said:

Bad news for Howard Schultz, who I assume until proven otherwise has a blood boy

MV5BODMxYmNkMTctMDIyOC00YzQzLTgwOWItZGNl

Is this some form of filial vampirism?

2 hours ago, mdrake34 said:

A thread:

I saw two movies last week that were part of the Atlanta Jewish Film Festival.  My wife saw a third.  At this point, my level of support for Israel is approaching @Billy Ocean  

My wife saw one about Netanyahu, and how he is essentially a smarter version of Trump in that he is a master of Propaganda.  I did see something in a trailer that stood out.  He was responding to some substantive criticism by saying "They are just angry that I won."  Sound familiar?

The 2nd movie was "Jewish Underground."  It provided the account of a Jewish terrorist organization that maimed and murdered several Palestinian mayors in the '90's.  The first part  was about how Israeli police and investigative agencies sought them out and brought them to justice.  The 2nd half was about Bebe essentially commuting their sentences and how those terrorists are now party of main stream Israeli politics.  

The last one was about the Oslo Negotiations which could have worked but were essentially blown up by Israelis.  Once Rabin was assassinated and Perez lost to Bebe, it was all over for Peace.  The wall was pretty inevitable, regardless of ongoing bombings, maybe.

At this point, the only difference between PG, B.O. and me is that I think Israel has lost it's soul.  Those guys don't think it ever had one.

mdrake34 likes this

4 minutes ago, HolyMoses said:

I saw two movies last week that were part of the Atlanta Jewish Film Festival.  My wife saw a third.  At this point, my level of support for Israel is approaching @Billy Ocean  

My wife saw one about Netanyahu, and how he is essentially a smarter version of Trump in that he is a master of Propaganda.  I did see something in a trailer that stood out.  He was responding to some substantive criticism by saying "They are just angry that I won."  Sound familiar?

The 2nd movie was "Jewish Underground."  It provided the account of a Jewish terrorist organization that maimed and murdered several Palestinian mayors in the '90's.  The first part  was about how Israeli police and investigative agencies sought them out and brought them to justice.  The 2nd half was about Bebe essentially commuting their sentences and how those terrorists are now party of main stream Israeli politics.  

The last one was about the Oslo Negotiations which could have worked but were essentially blown up by Israelis.  Once Sharon was assassinated and Perez lost to Bebe, it was all over for Peace.  The wall was pretty inevitable, regardless of ongoing bombings, maybe.

At this point, the only difference between PG, B.O. and me is that I think Israel has lost it's soul.  Those guys don't think it ever had one.

My favorite scene in the criminally underrated film Munich is the dinner scene when the group first assembles. That has nothing to do with any of your thoughtful post, but sort of ties in as far as the movie's depiction of the events in 1972.  It's an interesting juxtaposition against the violence these men go on to inflict in the movie.

munich1.png

HolyMoses likes this

59 minutes ago, mdrake34 said:

My paralegal is probably wondering why I just laughed out loud.

LOL! This definitely should be in the Best Thing forum.

8 minutes ago, HolyMoses said:

The last one was about the Oslo Negotiations which could have worked but were essentially blown up by Israelis.  Once Sharon was assassinated and Perez lost to Bebe, it was all over for Peace.  The wall was pretty inevitable, regardless of ongoing bombings, maybe.

Rabin

25 minutes ago, mdrake34 said:

My favorite scene in the criminally underrated film Munich is the dinner scene when the group first assembles. That has nothing to do with any of your thoughtful post, but sort of ties in as far as the movie's depiction of the events in 1972.  It's an interesting juxtaposition against the violence these men go on to inflict in the movie.

munich1.png

That was a fascinating movie.

I can't remember if it was in the movie itself, or from a discussion about it later, but that operation actually substantively changed the way decisions are made in the Israeli CIA or whatever:  

It tuns out that the whole thing wasn't such a good idea, even though it was unanimously approved.

So they decided that if something has approval from the first five people involved, someone is required to make the case for the opposite view.  It is to prevent "group think" from blinding alternative perspectives.  Sounds like a pretty good policy.  

mdrake34 likes this