Monoxide

The Trump Presidency (take 2)

128,743 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Psychic Gibbon said:

That isn't what either of those terms mean. Hard Brexit has always meant a hard break out of the EU, which could be done from no deal to getting various things done (ie. UK/EU trade deal, passports, etc.), while soft Brexit seeks to maintain close ties with but nonetheless leaving the EU. May has doggedly pursued the prior while joining EFTA is very solidly in the latter category.

Damage control is a second referendum.

May's deal doesn't want borders between NI and Ireland as well as NI and GB. That alone makes it much softer than a proposed EFTA/EEA based deal. May's party is filled with Hard Brexiteers, so she has to pursue a deal that will get them on board as well as meet what the British people want, which is freedom to make their own trade deals, not be beholden to EU laws, and not having to accept EU citizens and having right over their fish. 

But her deal is very much a soft brexit, because it includes the being in a temporary Single Market while they negotiate a permanent deal. It also has the backstop, so there are no hard borders between NI and Ireland with NI in the common fisheries policy. 

And Norway PM has said she doesn't see the countries agreeing to letting the UK join unless it is on a permanent basis, and I am sure they are going to reduce the UK's ability to veto EU laws that they want to adopt. 

6 minutes ago, mdrake34 said:

The guitar player and Pumpkins fan in me likes this, and the inner 14 year old in me snickered. 

I just got in from work about 30 min ago. I can't fire it up tonight but definitely will this weekend.

mdrake34 likes this

Just now, SpongeDad said:

I just got in from work about 30 min ago. I can't fire it up tonight but definitely will this weekend.

I predict sludgy goodness awaits you. 

We have one bath sheet. I didn’t realize it was called that before today but it’s my preferred towel.

The only thing better than black twitter is gay twitter. 

GEORGIAfan and AF89 like this

Just now, GEORGIAfan said:

May's deal doesn't want borders between NI and Ireland as well as NI and GB. That alone makes it much softer than a proposed EFTA/EEA based deal. May's party is filled with Hard Brexiteers, so she has to pursue a deal that will get them on board as well as meet what the British people want, which is freedom to make their own trade deals, not be beholden to EU laws, and not having to accept EU citizens and having right over their fish. 

But her deal is very much a soft brexit, because it includes the being in a temporary Single Market while they negotiate a permanent deal. It also has the backstop, so there are no hard borders between NI and Ireland with NI in the common fisheries policy. 

And Norway PM has said she doesn't see the countries agreeing to letting the UK join unless it is on a permanent basis, and I am sure they are going to reduce the UK's ability to veto EU laws that they want to adopt. 

Maintaining the Good Friday Agreement isn't the exactly strongest argument that May is pursuing a soft Brexit.

Saying that May wants to stay in the EU economic zone until they have a deal in place doesn't even make sense as a soft Brexit argument... that's just trying to kick the can down the road.

1 minute ago, mdrake34 said:

I predict sludgy goodness awaits you. 

I've watched the video you showed me at least 10 times to get a feel of how he has the amp set along with the pedal. Probably going to take some tinkering to get it perfect. I've only had a basic distortion pedal, a flanger, a super chorus, and a cry baby. But I can't wait to try it though.

mdrake34 likes this

And here I was thinking scientists had invented a way to merge the cozyness of a bed with that of a hot bath (I take an abnormal amount of baths for a straight man)

Just now, AF89 said:

And hear I was thinking scientists had invented a way to merge the cozyness of a bed with that of a hot bath (I take an abnormal amount of baths for a straight man)

You should dry off with a Shammy then

8c8881134-shamwowguy.nbcnews-fp-360-360.

2 minutes ago, SpongeDad said:

I've watched the video you showed me at least 10 times to get a feel of how he has the amp set along with the pedal. Probably going to take some tinkering to get it perfect. I've only had a basic distortion pedal, a flanger, a super chorus, and a cry baby. But I can't wait to try it though.

The Big Muff is a very mid-scooped circuit, so they sound great playing by yourself but can easily get lost in the mix of a live band. Players like David Gilmour either use modded muffs or boost them with pedals with more mid range for solos. 

SpongeDad likes this

1 minute ago, Psychic Gibbon said:

Maintaining the Good Friday Agreement isn't the exactly strongest argument that May is pursuing a soft Brexit.

Saying that May wants to stay in the EU economic zone until they have a deal in place doesn't even make sense as a soft Brexit argument... that's just trying to kick the can down the road.

That is what all their politicians are trying to do. 

NINTCHDBPICT000418621376.jpg?w=960EU-UK Free trade agreement + Not beholden to ECJ + not in CFP/CAP is basically their own Norway model without joining an existing group and accepting the existing terms of EEA/EFTA. 

May is pursuing a deal that can get passed by her party and DUP. If May was truly for a hard brexit, she would just back no deal. It isn't like she has to do anything for it to happen and she cannot face leadership challenges. 

3 minutes ago, GEORGIAfan said:

Similar to CAP's plan. And at 70 billion a year, it is quite cheap. We increase our military spending by 70 billion in just the two Trump years. 

Yes, that is expensive when you fund other people's defense. 

3 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Yes, that is expensive when you fund other people's defense. 

We were "funding other people's defense" prior to Trump as well. Trump just wants to line the pockets of his defense contractor buddies. No reason we needed to increase our military budget by 70 billion in 2 years. 

Just now, GEORGIAfan said:

We were "funding other people's defense" prior to Trump as well. Trump just wants to line the pockets of his defense contractor buddies. No reason we needed to increase our military budget by 70 billion in 2 years. 

No, that's not it. Trump is trying to save money by getting us out of two (occupancy) wars. 

2 minutes ago, GEORGIAfan said:

That is what all their politicians are trying to do. 

NINTCHDBPICT000418621376.jpg?w=960EU-UK Free trade agreement + Not beholden to ECJ + not in CFP/CAP is basically their own Norway model without joining an existing group and accepting the existing terms of EEA/EFTA. 

May is pursuing a deal that can get passed by her party and DUP. If May was truly for a hard brexit, she would just back no deal. It isn't like she has to do anything for it to happen and she cannot face leadership challenges. 

Ugh.

You can try to change the definitions as much as you want to try to make your argument work but it doesn't change that leaving the EU economic zone is what hard Brexit is and what she's pursuing. She has to pursue a deal since only around 60 Conservatives in parliament have signed onto the no deal. The rest either want something akin to what she wants, aren't taking a position for one reason or another (probably career longevity), with very few seeking a soft Brexit or a second referendum.