Monoxide

The Trump Presidency (take 2)

122,902 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

But that's a very distinct possibility. Someone like Kamala + Schultz running third party= a Trump second term. 

12 minutes ago, Psychic Gibbon said:

Candidates like Kamala aren't real threats to the status quo. Due to that Schultz won't run a sabotage campaign against them if they win the nomination. He'll only declare if someone like Sanders or Warren wins.

I was telling Jdave after one of the relatively recent shootings, CNN is the devil. I mean, they'd deliberately empower Shultz to undercut anyone that would risk the status quo more than Trump. The corporations already owned the government, and now they own the media that owns the government. It's kinda scary = /

33 minutes ago, Psychic Gibbon said:

Two more reports of Minnesota Senator Amy Klobuchar’s alleged maltreatment of her staff emerged just two days prior to her likely presidential campaign announcement on Sunday. According to BuzzFeed News, four former staffers claim that Klobuchar’s behavior “regularly left employees in tears.” The senator allegedly tossed papers and “one aide was accidentally hit with a flying binder,” according to a person who was in the room and who noted that the senator did not intend the throw to make contact.

In a similar report from HuffPost, a former staffer to disgraced Minnesota Senator Al Franken recalled an incident in which Klobuchar directed an aide to berate herself:

A young Klobuchar staffer was sent to explain the senator’s lateness to the Franken staffer.

“I’m supposed to tell you,” she said, with a look of terror on her face, “Senator Klobuchar is late today because I am bad at my job.”

According to emails seen by BuzzFeed News, Klobuchar consistently rebuked her staff in all caps, often over minor mistakes and at odd hours, frequently sending messages between 1 a.m. and 4 a.m. The senator would reportedly become angry if a staffer did not charge her iPad or if they used staples instead of paper clips. Her reputation as a demanding boss was so well known that, in 2015, retired Nevada Senator Harry Reid reportedly told her to reconsider her management tactics.

HuffPost also obtained an eight-page memo from Klobuchar’s 2006 Senate run, detailing the responsibilities and challenges of Klobuchar’s body person:

“Especially while in the car during a busy day: if she is EXTREMELY upset about something, let her rant through it, DON’T interupt [sic] her unless ABSOLUTELY necessary and be careful when trying to calm her down … Often she just needs to talk things out in the open and is not interested in other people’s opinions ― this is something that you will become used to and adjust to ― its just a note for the first time this happens.”

HuffPost spoke to a former advance man — the staffer who arrives ahead of time to prepare an event for a politician’s arrival — who said that the memo was inappropriate at points, like when it tells aides, “Only speak when spoken to at events.” The memo also requested that the body person “hang up clothes she leaves laying on the floor” and “pick up dirty clothes & place in a basket.” “Staff are staff, they’re not maids,” said the advance man.

HuffPost spoke to a former advance man — the staffer who arrives ahead of time to prepare an event for a politician’s arrival — who said that the memo was inappropriate at points, like when it tells aides, “Only speak when spoken to at events.” The memo also requested that the body person “hang up clothes she leaves laying on the floor” and “pick up dirty clothes & place in a basket.” “Staff are staff, they’re not maids,” said the advance man.

It’s unclear how much fallout this will create for Klobuchar, who promoted the self-branding “Minnesota Nice” in her 2015 memoir, The Senator Next Door. In the initial report from Wednesday, HuffPost did reveal that the senator’s management style has reportedly caused at least three people to withdraw from consideration for the role of Klobuchar’s campaign manager. (From 2001 to 2016, Klobuchar also had the highest staff turnover rate in the Senate.) “Senator Klobuchar loves her staff — they are the reason she has gotten to where she is today,” a campaign spokesperson toldBuzzFeed News. “She is proud of them and the work they have done for Minnesota.”

Some staffers have claimed that sexism has clouded the controversy around Klobuchar’s reputation. “Women shouldn’t be expected to nurture their employees or colleagues more than men, and they should be no less entitled to challenge them,” said Asal Sayas, a staffer that Klobuchar’s office forwarded to BuzzFeed News. But others considered the criticism well-founded. “I knew her reputation going in, and I rationalized it, because I thought that was what was going on — I thought people were saying that because she was a woman,” a former staffer told BuzzFeed News. “I regret that now.” Another former aide said that “I don’t think this is one of those situations” that can be attributed to sexism. “If it were a man doing these things, that story should be written.” Either way, the growing allegations may not be great for the 2020 ambitions of the Minnesota Democratic-Farmer-Labor leader — the third word of the state party being the operative one.

She sounds like a peach 

Yeah, sorry Klobuchar...we don't need another ill-tempered psychopath in the White House.

Also, anybody who supports Trump and tries to criticize Klobuchar for temperament can STFU.

It was a bleak reminder that there is no Supreme Court anymore. There are five justices and there are four justices. The five justices are five because the previous Senate, backed by an anonymous donor spending millions of dollars, refused to do its constitutional duty to consider the previous president’s nominee to an empty seat. That seat was a pure political prize, to be used for pure politics. It gives the majority the power to do whatever it wants, for whatever reason it pleases. 

Last night, the five justices did what they wanted. The four justices tried to argue with them, pointing out that their official rationale about Ray having appealed too late was contrary to the facts—that Alabama had only told Ray about the restriction in late January, so that “there is no reason Ray should have known, prior to January 23, that his imam would be granted less access than the Christian chaplain to the execution chamber.” 

https://hmmdaily.com/2019/02/08/the-supreme-court-isnt-pretending-to-listen-anymore/

pack the ******* courts

1 hour ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Bad use of "data"

The cap hit percentages of every Super Bowl-winning quarterback since the implementation of the salary cap before the 1994 season, excluding this past season: 

sbcap.png

The record for the highest cap hit percentage remains Steve Young’s 13.1% in that first season, when teams were still getting used to building rosters under a budget. Only four quarterbacks have ever won a Super Bowl while accounting for at least 11% of their team’s cap room: Young, Peyton Manning (twice), Tom Brady and Eli Manning.

Brady’s 2018 salary was $15 million, or 8.5 % of his team’s cap room.

2 minutes ago, Billy Ocean said:

The cap hit percentages of every Super Bowl-winning quarterback since the implementation of the salary cap before the 1994 season, excluding this past season: 

sbcap.png

The record for the highest cap hit percentage remains Steve Young’s 13.1% in that first season, when teams were still getting used to building rosters under a budget. Only four quarterbacks have ever won a Super Bowl while accounting for at least 11% of their team’s cap room: Young, Peyton Manning (twice), Tom Brady and Eli Manning.

Brady’s 2018 salary was $15 million, or 8.5 % of his team’s cap room.

I mean, yeah, if you can get the greatest QB of all time to sign a sweetheart deal with you, no doubt tied into post-career promises, that seems like a smart move.

Edited by Gaear Grimsrud
mdrake34 likes this

7 minutes ago, Gaear Grimsrud said:

I mean, yeah, if you can get the greatest QB of all time to sign a sweetheart deal with you, no doubt tied into post-career promises, that seems like a smart move.

9 minutes ago, Billy Ocean said:

If Matt Ryan wins a Super Bowl then he’ll join some select company.

4 minutes ago, Gaear Grimsrud said:

Almost by definition.

Looks like Ryan’s 2019 salary will comprise 11.93 % of the team’s cap so he’ll have an opportunity to join Brady, Young and the Manning brothers as the only other such quarterbacks to win a title.